What Effect Do Chia Seeds Have on You?

My coworker has been trying to get me to try chia seeds in my food/water for the longest. I’ve tried chia pudding before and the texture just messed me up all the way, so I couldn’t do it. I refused to try them again after that. Since then, I’ve been reading about the benefits of these miniscule buds and decided to give them another shot. I put two tsps in my water and let me tell you… I felt like I had taken a laxative. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Added Fiber.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    I put them in my overnight oats because, well, most of the recipes call for them as a thickener. I enjoy the little crunch they add but haven't noticed quite the effect you have.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    I put them in my smoothies for texture mostly (One tablespoon). Don't see any effects from them....good or bad...
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Make me check my teeth after.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019

At first they had a kind of laxative affect, but my system got used to them.
    I like them for a little added fiber and protein. I’ve never had the pudding. I sprinkle them on my oatmeal, salads, eggs and yogurt. I’ve been eating them for about 7 years. They were pretty hard to find when I first started eating them, but you can find them everywhere now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I use powdered vitamin C to keep me regular and after I started adding chia seeds to smoothies cut back the C 25%.

I do like how chia seeds in smoothies helps keep me fuller longer.

Best price I've seen is the giant Badia jug at Walmart.
  • vxcross
    vxcross Posts: 4 Member
    I'm fairly "regular" now that I've upped my fibre. I stir them into my oatmeal every morning and into my overnight oats if I'm away from home and want a healthy pre-made breakfast. Hopefully your body will get used to their awesome benefits :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    They would probably send me to the ER with an acute case of diverticulitis :'(
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    I eat about 3 tablespoons of them a day on average, in my breakfast smoothie and sprinkled over a salad for lunch. I never noticed a difference except they make me need to floss after lunch!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I've only had them in chia pudding, which I love...the overnight whole kind as well as the chia pudding you blend in a Vitamix for instant pudding consistency.

Have not noticed any ill effects or any specific effects at all, but I already eat a lot of fiber and am "regular". Honestly until this thread I'd never considered just eating them on a salad or in oatmeal, etc.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Do other small seeds bother you? Examples might be raspberries, fennel seeds in sausages, sesame seeds, etc.
    Some people can't handle them. Usually these are people diagnosed with IBS, but not exclusively.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited August 2019
    My coworker has been trying to get me to try chia seeds in my food/water for the longest. I’ve tried chia pudding before and the texture just messed me up all the way, so I couldn’t do it. I refused to try them again after that. Since then, I’ve been reading about the benefits of these miniscule buds and decided to give them another shot. I put two tsps in my water and let me tell you… I felt like I had taken a laxative. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I'd first enjoyed chia seeds in a stuffing and mostly as an egg substitute when we ran out of eggs. Taking it like a herbal concoction like the old days, especially when you're opposed to its texture, necessitates a change. Think of it as you would a condiment.

If you consider adding it to your breading or opting for it as a crust for any of your vegan/meat dishes or hopefully for when you're inclined to try some homebaking, starting with your favourite breads and savoury crackers, might help. Personally, my favourite is flaxseed bread because the flavour profile is similar to a specific tribal bread favourite.

Its effects are normal, nothing extreme, for I don't use it excessively, neither is out of the box for me, much like the use of pumpkin seeds.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It does nothing for you so if I were you I’d give it up. It’s just an extra absorbent soluble fiber.

Try an apple a day instead.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I add chia seeds to my eggs. I don't notice the chia seeds after that.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Weight gain.

They can have alot of cals if you're just tossing them in😬
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I used to have them dry in this or that and they do stick in my teeth like that. Now I soak them in a little water. I'd read you only need to do this for 15 minutes, but I soak for at least a few hours and preferably overnight.

Properly soaked, I have no issues with them getting stuck in my teeth or digesting them. They remind me of frog's eggs.

38885689-glass-of-chia-seeds-soaking-in-water-isolated-on-white.jpg
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to have them dry in this or that and they do stick in my teeth like that. Now I soak them in a little water. I'd read you only need to do this for 15 minutes, but I soak for at least a few hours and preferably overnight.

Properly soaked, I have no issues with them getting stuck in my teeth or digesting them. They remind me of frog's eggs.

38885689-glass-of-chia-seeds-soaking-in-water-isolated-on-white.jpg

Great tip! How much do you use for both water & chia seeds? I’m going to try this!
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    I hide them in things but a serving is 2 tblspns so be careful, also seeds can affect some people with intestinal issues. There are so many wonderful seeds out there, if this doesn’t work for you try some sesame seeds or other. 😄