WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Replies

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Kim-Happy Birthday!!! I hope your day was fabulous.

Connie in KY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    stats for the day:

day 16 (mon-fri)
    no gym workout

bike ride hm 2 gym- 6.59min, 13.4amph, 146mhr, 1.56mi= 82c
    apple watch- 65c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station- 51.55min, 13.7amph, 148mhr, 11.81mi= 538c
    apple watch- 447c
    jog station 2 wrk- 4.44min, 149mhr, 9.36min mi, .49mi= 69c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.24min,, 9.43min mi, 147Mhr, .45mi= 68c
    apple watch- 65c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.12min, 8.8amph, 148mhr, 2.51mi= 181c
    Apple Watch- 148c

total cal 938
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    432022s1vheyatjs.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Food Shopping, I am a minimalist with food as well as with other parts of my life. I fix simple meals and eat the same things over and over. I don't have to budget as strictly now as I did at other times of my life but I am careful especially to buy only what I can use and make sure that I don't let things spoil and have to throw them out. I would eat the same things all the time but Jake wants more variety so he started reading recipes and bought a slow cooker for making things. Since the recipes make more than we can eat in a meal, we freeze the extra in canning/freezing jars to have at another time. This also assures that we control portion size and don't eat too much of anything at one time. When I buy bread for myself, I keep it in the freezer and take out one or two slices and put them in the toaster. I buy primarily frozen vegetables because that assures that I don't worry about spoilage. We do buy salad makings and Jake will often make a salad for himself with bleu cheese dressing. I eat salads plain (a good budgeting strategy for both money and calories). We rarely eat in restaurants, drink no alcohol, and have stopped traveling so money for food doesn't have to be rationed so strictly. I lost weight using the Isagenix plan and still have an Isagenix shake for my breakfast.

:) As a great contrast to my simple cooking and eating style, two of my favourite TV programmes right now are "The Great British Baking Challenge" and "The Big Family Cooking Showdown", both shows set in Britain with fancy cooking with ingredients I've never heard of.

:)Kim, 679775z29uksi0yq.gif

You and I are quite alike in this. :)

I eat just about exactly the same thing 5 days a week between 11 am when I might eat the first thing of the day until 6 pm when I get home from work. Occasionally it might vary if there's fruit available in the lunch room ... I might have a few pieces of pineapple, honeydew or rockmelon which I wouldn't normally have.

Dinners vary a bit but over a 2 week period, you'd start to see the same meals repeating.

We used to buy fresh veggies, but found they went bad too quickly, so now we buy frozen veggies most of the time. We are starting to grow some of our own and had fresh potatoes for several weeks from last year's harvest, so that's nice.

We also buy lower calorie frozen, packaged, or canned (like soups) dinners as sides to the pile of veggies we eat.

My husband makes the meals, but I've acquired a slowcooker and when I've got the time and inclination, I'll make a chicken veg curry or something in the slowcooker. It's a small slowcooker but it makes enough for a couple meals. When he was in hospital, on a couple weekends, I did up chicken veg curries, ate one and froze the other 3 so that I'd have a quick meal when I got home late from visiting him.

We also rarely eat in restaurants and drink no alcohol ... but we do travel. That's our main luxury item ... I guess the other would be our gym/bicycles. :)

And I'd love to watch "The Great British Baking Challenge" again if our TV channels would show it!!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    ydailey wrote: »
    If we can get rid of enough extraneous stuff I'll lobby for a housekeeper every other week or so. But meal planning is not exactly rocket science, and it annoys me that a smart man can't take this simple task off my plate.

Anyhow, that's my vent and it's a small one in the grand scheme of things. Now back to work.
    -Yvonne in TX

We've had to look at ways to make things easier.

We have someone do our lawns.
    We'll get a house cleaner in now and then.
    I'll be booking a window cleaner soon, as it gets closer to spring.
    I order groceries online and have them delivered.
    We go with very simple meals that usually involve heating things rather than real cooking.

The only thing I'm still looking for with no luck is finding a personal assistant ... or just someone who will come in to organise and file paper. I can get everything else taken care of, but not that!!

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did one segment of 10MS Slim & Sculpt Pilates then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to go on the stairstepper

Cheri – ROTFLMAO

Jess wanted to go for dinner and since Colby is here I don’t know that I have enough taken out of the freezer for an extra person. I just had the chicken, shrimp and garden veges. These are choices for some sort of “Build you own pasta” but I didn’t get the pasta or sauce Only tea for dessert and took one bite of this brownie lasagna that Vince got

I find that when I have a lot of refined carbs (like bread or cookies) I get real sleepy.

Terri – you sound very busy. Today I have exercise, then bowling, tonight ceramics, then mahjongg. I love fresh veges

M – I would love to order my groceries online, but the problem is that you need a minimum which I usually don’t make in one trip. Plus, I know that the person picking out the groceries isn’t going to look at things like expiration dates and I will. I’m trying to give Vince less and less meat. Only problem is that he will eat so few veges. Me on the other hand will eat practically everything so I fill up my plate with at least 3 different veges. In class Jess said that she goes to the class to hear the lecture since you can ask questions but when she comes home she goes over the lecture again.

Kim – happy birthday

JR – I keep my shopping list on my phone so if I’m near a store or in one, I always have my list with me. Saves multiple trips.

Katla – yes, “dignity” was the word I was looking for. If I was a gardener, I’d put fresh flowers on each table. But, alas, it would be silk flowers for me. Come to think of it, maybe I have some in my craft cabinet. Gonna go check. Got them, I’ll take them with me on Friday.

Rori – that’s just wonderful that you have your brother

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I would love to order my groceries online, but the problem is that you need a minimum which I usually don’t make in one trip. Plus, I know that the person picking out the groceries isn’t going to look at things like expiration dates and I will. I’m trying to give Vince less and less meat. Only problem is that he will eat so few veges. Me on the other hand will eat practically everything so I fill up my plate with at least 3 different veges. In class Jess said that she goes to the class to hear the lecture since you can ask questions but when she comes home she goes over the lecture again.

Michele in NC

We've only had problems with expiry dates a couple times in the year+ we've been using the service. They've selected a yogurt or something that is within days of expiring so we have to eat it first. I've even started ordering fruit because they've been so good with picking things.

Ours is set up so that the more you order, the less you pay for delivery. So for a couple weeks, I'll order just over $200 worth and get a fairly low delivery fee, then for a couple weeks I'll be down around $140 and have to pay their higher fee. But it all balances out to about $175/week ... and we don't have to pay for fuel etc. to drive there! :)

A few of my lectures allow students to ask questions ... most don't. There's the potential that 400-ish students will turn up for a lecture so they don't want a bunch of questions because that will take up the whole lecture time. Sometimes at the end, if there's a bit of time, they'll ask for 1 or 2 questions ... but that gets included in the lecture recording too.

The tutorials are where we can ask questions. That's when they break us up into groups of about 30 students and we've got a tutor (usually a grad student or instructor who wants more hours) leading the class.

I figure the lectures, at least, could be completely online. The instructor could record them in a studio and post them. Then if they have to do in-person stuff, it could be just the tutorials.

But I can't convince anyone of that.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka - I’ll make you a generous offer, for airline tickets and a two week vacation I’ll come organize your papers. That’s what friends do! 😂

Given that most personal organisers charge about $120/hour, if one worked 35 hours a week, that would be $4200/week or $8400. I could probably fly you here and put you up in a hotel for about $4000 ....

Your offer is generous! :grin:

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited August 2019
    My lunch ... I eat this, or a close variation of this pretty much 5 days a week at about 2 pm, with occasional exceptions. :)

nf7fg8sl69uy.png

228739.jpg

346124.jpg

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited August 2019
    There are 120 people in my class (it's a small class this semester).

Guess how many showed up to today's lecture!!!

Bonus question: Guess what the two most popular last names are. :grin:
    (I looked when I was checking how many people are in the class and noticed that there are two common names tied with 4 people each ... well, one is very common and one is slightly less so.)

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    morning ladies~ I heard a crash in the middle of the night and didnt investigate until I got up well I have 2 air plants that from the ceiling ,one of then fell and broke into a million pieces, cant fix it, but the plant survived any ideas?
    today is the day I am going out with my son and granddaughter we are supposed to take a train ride and a boat ride but its going to rain on and off today , so we shall see how it goes..
    now from what I hear the dopey contractor who has never ever worked on a business before they extended his deadline.. he does very shoddy work,, and I already have tues and weds off and if he comes in weds.. then we cant work then either and no work no pay.. which is not fair..
    Oh Well anywhooo as my dad used to say I will work on reunion stuff and do laundry