Replies

• Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    June 23

32 Days to Bavaria
    Weight lost as of second five-day check-in: 5.2/10 pounds
    Indoor bike ride goal: 6/12 rides
    Outdoor bike ride goal: 4/12 rides

On the plus side: I logged an outdoor ride today. On the negative: Didn't have a great OMAD day yesterday. Too long of an eating window and too much eaten during that window. But, onward.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    It's a war of attrition babe...every day is a chance for success :love: :blush:
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    The struggle is real and we have all over indulged before ---move forward you are doing great!
  • Nevadaden
    edited June 2019
    June 23

30 Days to Bavaria
    Weight lost as of third five-day check-in: 4.9/10 pounds
    Indoor bike ride goal: 7/12 rides
    Outdoor bike ride goal: 4/12 rides

Definitely not the weigh-in I was hoping for today -- backward instead of forward. I have only 30 days left....will need to be more careful with my dinners.
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,113 Member
    Yes, its so true..the struggle is real and when it comes to over indulge, I am always doing that :( Don't worry about the weigh-in, it might be water weight. Stay strong :)
  • mistymeadows2005
    It's alright babe! Get dat water in and watch your cals and you'll be good ;)
  • Nevadaden
    July 8
    17 Days to Bavaria
    Weight lost as of third five-day check-in: 4.9/10 pounds
    Outdoor bike ride goal: 6/12 rides

So, it's been a while since I've posted. I haven't abandoned the OMAD ship, but life has thrown me some curves, some anticipated, some not. In no particular order:

1. I got three flats in ten days on my indoor bike. Yes, it's possible to get a flat indoors, if you're using a trainer that is a regular bike attached to a training thingie. (That is the technical word for it, I'm sure.) So, after the last flat, I decided I would give up on my indoor bike goal and add the remaining indoor rides to my outdoor goal -- in other words, 24 rides all together. (And when we get back from Bavaria, we are going to get a trainer like the Kickr or the Peloton so that I'm not getting flats all the time.)

2. However, I'm at 13 rides total out of 24, and I have only 17 days left to reach the remaining 11 before we leave for Bavaria. The reason for my lack of progress since I last posted? We got a last-minute invitation to go visit friends in Texas for the Fourth, and it took five days out of the mix; we just got back last night. I had a great time, but still, it put the crunch in my plan to do a combined 24 rides.

3. As a result of the afore-mentioned last-minute invite, I also had trouble with my OMAD goal, and I haven't weighed since my last five-day check-in. As this community knows, OMAD can be hard for others to understand or to accept. Skipping breakfast usually isn't the problem; people generally have no issue with "I"m still full from last night," or "I'm not hungry quite yet," or even "I'm saving up for lunch." But it's not as easy to forego both breakfast and lunch in close quarters without someone noticing and remarking. And, as this community also knows, people often feel either genuinely worried (because of their own notions of what constitutes good diet) or threatened (because it challenges their own notions of what constitutes good diet). Further, there are some instances in which I won't do OMAD for good cause: for example, going wine tasting, as we did on Friday. I would rather enjoy the day than not partake or worse, partake without food and make an idiot of myself. Which brings me to: I did the best I could for five days, always skipping breakfast and delaying lunch/dinner as long as I could. Still. I know I didn't manage OMAD. We'll see what the damage is in another couple of days.

4. Going back to point number 2: I still have a chance to get my rides in before we leave, because of the one curve life threw me that I was expecting -- I retired the end of June. Or, at least, I left my job... If in six months I'm wandering around the house in my pajamas all day, watching bad television and spying on the neighbors, that might lead me to feel the need to do something, even if it doesn't entail a regular job again. Right now, eight days into retirement, I'm every much enjoying the novelty of not going into an office on Monday morning and visiting friends on a holiday without having to check email or listen to voicemail. On the other hand....I do worry a bit about my ability to do OMAD without the structure of an office routine. Monday-Friday was always the easiest for me on OMAD: I was gone during the day and plenty busy to boot. So, I am going to have to make sure I have things planned during the day -- take up Pilates or go to the gym or similar.

That was a lot to post, I know; but I had a lot to catch up on! Going now to read about others' progress in the last ten days.
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Holy cow you have had a lot going on! I had no idea an indoor bike could get a flat---wow....I have an indoor spin bike, that I use several times a week and I love it. It isn't the new expensive ones though ---wish I had one of those....but it gets the job done.

I totally get that others don't understand the way of life it is difficult especially in close quarters!

Hoping you get those rides in and get ready for what sounds like an amazing vaca!

• mistymeadows2005
    WOW! Lots of big changes but how exciting!!!

Hey I'll take an impromptu vaca over a little weight loss ANY day of the week! You've still got time to get your rides in, and it'll help you enjoy your trip more, so all good in the hood there!

AMAZING AND CONGRATS on retirement!!! I'm still getting used to the whole working from home thing, but it's anything but boring! LMAO - Where are you located dear? If you get bored, you might consider getting licensed in the mtg business - good money, but you ONLY work your own hours...if that's 10 hours a month, then so be it! LOL Should you be interested, and you're located in any of the states my team is licensed in, we'd be happy to sponsor your license :) (thats the benefit of being ops manager...I can bring on WHOMEVER I WANT lmao).

Seriously though, if you wanna chat about that you just let me know...it's a fun way to fill your time and make some money at the same time...a lot of folks use it as a side hustle ;)

ROCK ON with your bike-riding and can't wait to hear all about Bavaria!
  • jadepearl
    Didn't you know that you can get a flat tire on an indoor bike. Is it expensive to repair or its the same as a regular bike? I hear ya about not everyone will understand us. That's why during my meet-up with family and relatives, I had to eat regular like everyone else and that made me gained weight :( No point explaining to my cousins about OMAD either. Congrats on your retirement <3 I won't be able to retire till my kids are in Uni. Can't wait to hear all about your adventure in Bavaria :)
  • Nevadaden
    July 8
    15 Days to Bavaria
    Weight lost as of last five-day check-in: 5.1/10 pounds
    Outdoor bike ride goal: 7/12 rides

I'm going to have a hard time losing five pounds in two weeks. That five-day trip to Texas, coupled with all of the other things going on in my life, definitely slowed me down. But, still, better than if I hadn't tried at all. I will continue onward.
  • mistymeadows2005
    Keep it up babe...5 pounds in 2 weeks is a lot, but not undoable...but if it only ends up being 3 pounds, that's still 8 pounds down! WOOT WOOT!
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Any progress is good progress even if you don't reach the full 10 pounds. Just keep pressing on, you may just surprise yourself.
  • jadepearl
    Congrats on your 5lbs loss... That's awesome😘
  • Nevadaden
    July 12 (got my days mixed up on the previous post)
    13 days to Bavaria
    Weight loss as of last check-in: 5.1 out of 10 pounds
    Indoor bike ride goal: 7/12 rides(courtesy of indoor flat tires)
    Outdoor bike ride goal: 8/12 rides

Thanks for the words of encouragement, @jadepearl and@LadyBlanks. @mistymeadows2005, how are you doing, working from home? Are you finding it harder to OMAD? Last week was an anomaly because we were on holiday in Texas, but yesterday I was at home alone, and although I had certain things to do, I found myself counting the minutes to dinner. It wasn't hunger so much as being home with food available. I never had that problem when I was in an office.
  • mistymeadows2005
    Ya know I assumed it would be, but it's been exactly the same for me. Now granted I had the time to transition into this position (despite them ultimately letting me go :D ) so I was busy from DAY 1...but really my hours are exactly the same, if not longer and they are PACKED hours so I almost think about it LESS! But the nice thing is that if I have something planned that takes time, I can get it started early and still enjoy it on a work day. Plus no rogue bad for me, cravable food floating around...I'm a pretty healthy eater if left to my own devices so in that way it's easier as well. I DO NOT MOVE when I'm here though...that's far and away my biggest change and also the hardest for me, personally, to fix LOL
  • jadepearl
    When my Mom retired, she got herself involved in more activities in her church, her local community, etc and I can tell you, she was more busy than when she was teaching 😂 Hope you will find what interest you and go from there 👍
  • Nevadaden
    July 14
    11 days to Bavaria
    Weight loss as of last check-in: 5.1 out of 10 pounds
    Indoor bike ride goal: 7/12 rides (where it will stay, courtesy of indoor flat tires)
    Outdoor bike ride goal: 9/12 rides

Yesterday's ride was hot, windy, and dusty. After two and a half hours riding, my face was so red that at first I thought I had forgotten sunscreen -- then I realized it was the heat and the exertion. I am taking the day off from exercise.
  • jadepearl
    Really hope that you are A-OK <3 Take care <3
  • Nevadaden
    I'm back...and just saw your post, @jadepearl! Funny you should say that. We left for Bavaria a little early, but two days before the tour was scheduled to begin, I slipped on some narrow stone stairs in a medieval fortress. I walked on the foot, albeit a little wobbly, to our restaurant for dinner. But by the time dinner was over, I could no longer walk unassisted, so we had to call a taxi to go the few short blocks to our hotel. That night I couldn't walk; I had to crawl to the bathroom. (Yes, my boyfriend was there and surely would have helped me, but it was the middle of the night and one does have one's pride, after all.)

I thought the bike trip was over for me; all that training, not to mention the expense, all for nothing. But I dosed up on anti-inflammatories and by the next day, I was able to hobble around the hotel room, which is much more dignified than crawling when one needs to visit the bathroom.

The first day of bike riding, I was a little skittish because the foot was still swollen and painful. Since it's the foot I put down first when I stop, I was wary about any sudden moves by fellow cyclists, pedestrians, or cars. But I made it through the day. And I made it every day after that, too. It was actually easy to ride than to walk, and I learned, with some planning, to use my other foot first for a stop.

We returned home yesterday. The top of my foot is now a lovely paisley of purple and yellow, and it's still a little swollen where I did the most damage, but I'm improving daily.

Anyhow, for my update: I didn't reach my 10-pound weight goal before we left. Lots of factors affecting that -- the unscheduled visit to Texas, a friend in town, and some less than vigilant OMADing on my part. So I went on the trip with only a three-pound loss out of my 10-pound goal, and I was feeling a little down about that.

But, surprisingly, I kept to an intermittent-fasting routine while I was there, almost approaching OMAD. I have no problem doing two- to three-hour rides without breakfast, but some of these days were four or five hours riding. So, if I felt I needed to eat because of the day's ride, I still ate very light for breakfast and kept my choices to low-carb, higher fat options. And then I would generally eat only one large meal for the day, once the ride was over. Mostly keeping to a single large meal, coupled with 30-40 mile bike rides for seven days and plenty of walking on non-riding days, meant that I returned home two pounds lighter than when I left -- despite enjoying plenty of good Bavarian food.

Now I'm back and ready to work on the final five pounds. Two more takes me back into maintenance range, five more is where I feel best. Hope all the rest of you are doing well -- going to go check up on threads.