Calorie Burn

I have a question that I am not sure how to ask/word correctly. So forgive me if this doesn't come out correctly. Does a 240lb woman walking 3 miles at speed 3 burn more calories for the duration of the exercise than a 140lb woman walking the same distance, speed? Call me crazy but when I try to put in my walking and such the system says "walking carrying weights, walking carrying a baby" ETC....so I am curious is there a calculator that helps figure how much a person burns based on their weight??

Replies

• @Fursian thank you!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yes she would, but walking is not an actual exercise unless your are actually hiking, I could not bother putting it into an app.

This is simply not true.
    Any trainer or physical therapist or doctor will tell you that walking is great exercise

Yeah but does a doctor who went to medical school and studied this really know now than some random yahoo on the internet with access to youtube "documentaries?"

😉
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I have a question that I am not sure how to ask/word correctly. So forgive me if this doesn't come out correctly. Does a 240lb woman walking 3 miles at speed 3 burn more calories for the duration of the exercise than a 140lb woman walking the same distance, speed? Call me crazy but when I try to put in my walking and such the system says "walking carrying weights, walking carrying a baby" ETC....so I am curious is there a calculator that helps figure how much a person burns based on their weight??

Yes...

Just like a F250 burns more fuel than a Honda Civic
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member

The exercises that you can find in the exercise section gives you a projected calorie burn based off of your weight. A person with a higher weight will burn more calories than someone with a lower weight. This is why we cannot add exercises to the database to share with others, just ourselves. Because unlike the food database, there is a math equation behind each entry.

As far as walking, if you choose an entry like "carrying weights or carrying a baby", and you are not actually doing those things, it will give you a higher burn than you are getting. Because weighted walking burns more calories. I would suggest using options like this:

"Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace"