Stir fry

Options
No big fan of the stir fry , what can you suggest to liven them up.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy with my stir-frys, so I use a pre-made sauce. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have access to a Trader Joe's they have some good options. I like their General Tao's stir fry sauce, and also their curry simmer sauces. Add whatever protein and vegetables you want to that and it's a really easy meal.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I've been using la tourangelle stir fry oil and frying up spiralized butternut squash or sweet potato noodles, shredded carrots, snow peas, water chestnuts and shrimp then mix a basil pesto or mango chutney in. I toss a few handfuls of baby spinach on top, cover for a few minutes to steam the spinach then stir it all up and serve. Delicious!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The Thai stir fries I make are super lively. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/4889960945/?coliid=I1I1A3DKPXBLPT&colid=3QWVCH2B1U3Y5&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    • Staples - fish sauce, lime juice, hot pepper (I use cayenne as it is easier to control the heat), sugar.
    • Often also included - soy sauce, oyster sauce.
    • Sometimes included - red curry paste, coconut milk (the thick kind, not the kind you drink.)

I buy the fish sauce, etc. at an Asian store.

But a good way to start is the pre-made sauces mentioned above.
  • bozzasean
    bozzasean Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The Thai stir fries I make are super lively. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/4889960945/?coliid=I1I1A3DKPXBLPT&colid=3QWVCH2B1U3Y5&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    • Staples - fish sauce, lime juice, hot pepper (I use cayenne as it is easier to control the heat), sugar.
    • Sometimes included - red curry paste, coconut milk (the thick kind, not the kind you drink.)

Thanks. Im a lively fan and enjoy Asian cuisine so I might take a look down this route.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Of course, the trouble with stir fry at home is that the Chinese places cheat. They start with a quarter cup of oil in a Wok. How can you go wrong with that? Trouble is, the oil has 500 calories to start with. Then, add a cup of cooked rice per person and you have 750 calories in the Wok before you start adding vegetables and proteins.

Leave the oil and rice out and no matter what you put in it, you are coming in second to the take-away food.

Having said that, I am pretty fond of shallots sauteed in a pat of butter (50 calories) jalapenos, and sshrimp, then steamed under cooked rice and soy sauce. Cook until the rice gets a little crunchy on the skillet and the shrimp is steamed to pink.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    bozzasean wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks. Im a lively fan and enjoy Asian cuisine so I might take a look down this route.

Great! A note about that cookbook - I usually double the protein and expect to get less servings than stated. For example, if it says 4 servings, between the two of us, we get 2 to 2.5.
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Oh, this recipe is good. Thai basil has a very different flavor than regular Italian basil, but that is easier to find and would be fine as well. (Either way, needs to be the fresh herb.)

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/257938/spicy-thai-basil-chicken-pad-krapow-gai/

Remember those Thai boys trapped in the underground cave for two weeks? That's what they wanted for their first meal after rescue ;)
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do a stir fry with chicken/turkey breast and apples. No particular recipe. I just cube up the meat, and peel/ slice apples (about 50/50 by size), spray pan with oil, cook apples until slightly tender, remove apples. Add a little more oil, cook chicken until done. Add apples back. Reduce heat to med-low, add some soy sauce, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. (ginger and cinnamon are key, but I like to toss in the others also). Depending on the apple you may have to toss in a teaspoon or so brown sugar (like for Granny Smith). Serve with rice.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I use soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, something red and spicy like chile flakes, and ginger.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    @beckys19

That sounds delicious.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I love stir frys. I like adding fresh herbs like basil and cilantro!! Usually added to noodles, meat (steak or chicken), mushrooms, broccoli slaw, sprouts, lemongrass paste, and ginger... a little Teriyaki, sweet and sour, and a lot of Thai peanut sauce.

My favorite!!!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    If you don’t like stir fry I’m wondering why you feel you need to eat one?

I don’t like Sweet Potatoes or Parsnips or Butternut Squash, Sage, or any form of meat come to that and no amount of fancy recipes will change that. Plenty of other things I do like though, so I eat those. 😊
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    beckys19 wrote: »
    I do a stir fry with chicken/turkey breast and apples. No particular recipe. I just cube up the meat, and peel/ slice apples (about 50/50 by size), spray pan with oil, cook apples until slightly tender, remove apples. Add a little more oil, cook chicken until done. Add apples back. Reduce heat to med-low, add some soy sauce, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. (ginger and cinnamon are key, but I like to toss in the others also). Depending on the apple you may have to toss in a teaspoon or so brown sugar (like for Granny Smith). Serve with rice.

That sounds really good!!! I love incorporating apples into traditionally savory dishes! Never thought about stir fry!

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    1. I always make sure to use tons of onions and garlic. 2. I mix up a sauce made with low sodium soy sauce, honey, a touch of sriracha, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and ground ginger. I add this to the stir fried veggies near the end. 3. I also use a cornstarch slurry at the end to thicken up the sauce on the stir fried veggies.