Calorie Burn

2»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    It’s not my opinion, it’s just like it is. Infact you burn the same calories if you walk or run a mile, the difference is only the speed. Humans walk because it is a very ergonomic and efficient way to move and because it does not strain your body, there is no training effect.

Walking is an activity and that’s good but it does not prevent any muscle loss, does not train endurance or strength. The only reason walking could be considered exercise is if the person is ill, handicapped or very overweight - everyone else would profit much more from real strength or endurance exercise.

If you like walking do it, but do not count calories for it and if this time is your only exercise time, do something real, that takes effort and improves your body.

Lol, no.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    It’s not my opinion, it’s just like it is. Infact you burn the same calories if you walk or run a mile, the difference is only the speed. Humans walk because it is a very ergonomic and efficient way to move and because it does not strain your body, there is no training effect.

Walking is an activity and that’s good but it does not prevent any muscle loss, does not train endurance or strength. The only reason walking could be considered exercise is if the person is ill, handicapped or very overweight - everyone else would profit much more from real strength or endurance exercise.

If you like walking do it, but do not count calories for it and if this time is your only exercise time, do something real, that takes effort and improves your body.

Try not being able to walk or stand on a limb for at least a month and then tell me that walking doesn't prevent muscle loss.

Yup! I experienced muscle loss twice in my life - once when I shattered my leg and the second time when I did my ankle in. Both required surgeries, weeks of being completely non weight bearing and months of rehab.

And the amount of time and energy that it takes to regain that muscle? I've done it 4 times over now (all of the knee surgeries involved 6 weeks non weight bearing) and hope to never have to do it again.
  • @estherdragonbat SUPER COOL. When you walk your two hours is that at a very fast pace? I have short fat legs even though I am tall. Its hard to get my elephant trunks to move super fast. I feel like I am trucking it to just be at 3.2 on a treadmill. It makes me feel like I am not working hard enough to see that 3.2 is considered 'moderate/leisure' pace.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    @estherdragonbat SUPER COOL. When you walk your two hours is that at a very fast pace? I have short fat legs even though I am tall. Its hard to get my elephant trunks to move super fast. I feel like I am trucking it to just be at 3.2 on a treadmill. It makes me feel like I am not working hard enough to see that 3.2 is considered 'moderate/leisure' pace.

I probably started around 2.5mph. Now, depending on terrain (I live in Toronto; we're built over a ravine network, so there are some areas that involve a lot of uphill and downhill or stairs), it's between 3.3 and 3.5.

As you build up leg strength, your pace will increase. It takes time, but I remember wondering if my watch was working right the first time I realized I'd walked a distance in 25 minutes that had once taken me 35.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

Interesting. You see, I had surgery a year ago and, in the recovery room, my heart rate set off an alarm when it dropped below 40bpm. Before the cardiologist even looked at me, he asked the nurse calling it in to find out whether I was a runner. At the time I wasn't. Just a 2-hr/day walker. But once he heard that, he said that it was probably nothing.

I was hit by a car years ago doing hill repeats on my bike. The machine at the ER kept sounding the alarm every time my HR went below some threshold, maybe 60 bpm? After a few times checking on me and seeing that I wasn't dying, I told them I'm a cyclist, and the nurse shut the alarm off.

I haven't met anyone in the offline world who's shared this experience.
  • tdl1210
    tdl1210 Posts: 2 Member
    oh no, leslie sansone is ripping us all off! lol (referring to "walk away the pounds" videos). If it is done at a pace to get your heart rate up, it is absolutely training and endurance exercise. Or fitbit users are logging steps for what??
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    It doesn't even have to get your heart rate up, tbh. I mean, yes, just getting up and moving around increases your heart rate more than sitting at a desk was. But you still burn calories walking, even at a slower pace. (Obviously fewer than at a brisker one, but still something.)
  • @tdl1210 LOL!! I do her Walking DVD's with a group of friends on Tues. and Thur. over every week. Super cool that you even know about her. :)
    Thanks @estherdragonbat
  • tdl1210
    tdl1210 Posts: 2 Member
    @estherdragonbat you are correct. even at a slow pace, it is worth it. any movement above no movement is good imo. i'm no gym rat (in my younger years). i am just hitting my step goal most days. and @QueenofCaffeine4Life i just "stole" 2 dvd's of hers from a friend. I remember her from years ago. i didn't think anyone would get it!!!

Just to introduce myself, i'm a returnee to MFP after many years. need to lose quite a bit of weight before i turn (gasp) 50 at the end of January. any advice on forum topics to look up for us 'seasoned' ladies is much appreciated. FYI i'm vegetarian working my way to vegan. have a wonderful day B)