Extensor Tendonitis - Anyone dealt with this before?

Options
I have been pushing my walks alot lately and have developed extreme pain in one foot following my last walk which was about 7 miles. I have increased quite recently my range and time that I walk to about double my average and I think I have damaged something. Dr. Google seems to say it's Extensor Tendonitis. I haven't seen my doc yet but it sounds pretty likely. Have any of you dealt with this? I understand it's a common runner's injury. If you have had it, how long does it take to heal? I'm gonna go nuts not walking plus I lose those extra calories. Any insight would be helpful.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Cheryl. I don’t know about this condition. Hope it heals soon.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it, but I think I might have a little Achilles tendonitis...
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have been pushing my walks alot lately and have developed extreme pain in one foot following my last walk which was about 7 miles. I have increased quite recently my range and time that I walk to about double my average and I think I have damaged something. Dr. Google seems to say it's Extensor Tendonitis. I haven't seen my doc yet but it sounds pretty likely. Have any of you dealt with this? I understand it's a common runner's injury. If you have had it, how long does it take to heal? I'm gonna go nuts not walking plus I lose those extra calories. Any insight would be helpful.

Sounds like you pushed yourself a little too hard; bummer about the pain and hope it isn’t serious.

Not sure if it would help this, but in general, for ‘happy feet’ I like to work with Yamana’s Foot Wakers. They are half round nubbed things that sit on the floor and your feet engage with them from either a seated or standing position.

Good luck
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If it hurts that much, it really should be checked by a doctor, in case it's a fracture.

Do you have flat arches?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have Peroneal tendonitis, or tendinopathy, I forget which. Problem with the peroneal tendons.

I hate it. I lost weight, exercised, did physical therapy, wore special shoes for a year, I thought it was fine. Hasn't bothered me in over 12 months - ran a little too much and it's flared back up again.

I'm not happy with the tendons in my ankle right now.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm not a runner, I'm a hiker, and yes, I've suffered from this. Make sure you're wearing good shoes made for your activity (running, walking, etc), make sure they're in good shape, shorten your walks for a few days, ice it if the pain is too bad, and allow it to heal. Me, I just kept pounding away, had to get that extra 1/2 mile in... took it forever to heal because of that. I still have occasional pains out of nowhere, but usually when I'm hiking and wearing my good ol' worn out shoes (that are SO comfy... yeah, right! ) :D OH, and according to my doc, overtightening your shoe laces can also cause it, so I now pay attention to how tight I lace 'em!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Thank you all who replied. It's been about two weeks and I'm starting to feel better. Had to take that time off and my weight is climbing up a bit. I was concerned about a stress fracture due to the sharp pain that developed but it's subsiding. I walk in Sketchers and think maybe I need to loosen up the wallet for something a bit more structured. I pulled out my old runners the other day with orthotics it them and it was much better. Live and learn. I'm going to go get fitted at a store that specialilzes in footwear. Who knew walking could cause issues like that?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If you can get access to a balance board, I recommend it. If you strengthen the muscles surrounding your problem area you get less frequent flare ups, and balance boards are great for that. I have a lot of foot and ankle problems.

Otherwise you can fold a pillow in half and practice standing on it on one leg. Just have a wall nearby for safety.