3rd week on Keto

2PieceNow
2PieceNow Posts: 21 Member
Hello, I have been on and off keto and have finally decided to make Keto a way of life. I am usually gluten and sugar free but I have hypo-thyroidism so I really have to find the right exercise that works for me. I have recently quit walking and weight lifting and started boot camp (3 times a week). My question is what supplements does everyone use? It seems like each group has there special blend of supplements they are using. Should I just buy the supplements that the FB groups are selling do I need those to help keep me in ketosis and speed up my metabolism? I am not really losing weight after the initial water weight loss. I am documenting all my macro's and adjusted myfitnesspal app according to the macro calculator based on my BMI. Any advice you can give on what are the best supplements to use would help. I am currently just using an organic MCT oil, flax seed, and a probiotic.

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I use liquid kelp (iodine) for thyroid and metabolism support.

I don't use iodized salt, and if I consume fish or sushi I don't take that day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I honestly feel like almost every keto product out there is a total waste of money. Products don’t put you in Ketosis. Carb restriction does.
    Taking in and peeing out exogenous ketones doesn’t do anything to your metabolism no matter how convincing the sales pitch is.
    Supplement sodium and consider adding magnesium and if you want a multi vitamin for insurance that will you be fine too.
    Eat enough food in general to support a healthy metabolism and do a little weight bearing exercise.
    No need to buy a single specialty product ever.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I honestly feel like almost every keto product out there is a total waste of money. Products don’t put you in Ketosis. Carb restriction does.
    Taking in and peeing out exogenous ketones doesn’t do anything to your metabolism no matter how convincing the sales pitch is.
    Supplement sodium and consider adding magnesium and if you want a multi vitamin for insurance that will you be fine too.
    Eat enough food in general to support a healthy metabolism and do a little weight bearing exercise.
    No need to buy a single specialty product ever.

Ditto.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    In my opinion, the best thing you can do is eat more protein. No supplements required. Your protein is only about 75g most days and that's pretty low even for a maintenance level of protein. If it were me, I would try to get that upwards of 125 or 150g.

You can reduce fat intake, if you are trying to metabolize fat then you don't need to eat fat. About 1% of your fat intake can come from your adipose tissue every week - so when crunching the keto numbers, keep in mind that 1% is fat you definitely don't need to eat and that you definitely want to encourage your body to remove from you.

You really don't need MCT oil or flax seed for weight loss, unless those serve another purpose they are just empty calories.

As for supplements for keto the only keto specific supplement I take is plain sea salt twice a day.

All my other supplements are non-keto related (magnesium for muscle cramps post-lifting, MSM/pychnogenol for carpal tunnel, DIM/Natural Changes/raspberry for perimenopause, C just as a general preventative).