Disappointed by Caulipower Crust

Luke_rabbit
Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
Am I the only one?

Taste was fine.

Size was much smaller than I expected from the box. About the size of a large tortilla.

It's very thin. More like pizza on a cracker than a pizza crust.

The calories seem high. This one, not that big, very thin crust has 510 calories! That seems incredible.

Even on sale, the price is high.

I kept thinking how much better and more filling this pizza would've been on Joseph's pitas for about 190 fewer calories per serving (1/2 pizza).

Lesson learned.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I bought my first cauliflower crust pizza a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.
  • Luke_rabbit
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I bought my first cauliflower crust pizza a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Was it a different brand?
  • Luke_rabbit
    edited August 2019
    Meh. When I want pizza-- and I mean REALLY want pizza (which only happens about 4-6 times a year)--I just go to Blaze or Mod where I can get exactly what I want, and I enjoy every bite. Carpe Carbs!

I guess that was my mistake. I thought cauliflower crust was about lower calories, not lower carbs. I don't ever pay attention to carbs.

It made sense to me since the other places where I've subbed cauliflower (mashed potatoes and white pasta sauces), the calorie count was much reduced.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    boldknee wrote: »
    Am I the only one?

Taste was fine.

Size was much smaller than I expected from the box. About the size of a large tortilla.

It's very thin. More like pizza on a cracker than a pizza crust.

The calories seem high. This one, not that big, very thin crust has 510 calories! That seems incredible.

Even on sale, the price is high.

I kept thinking how much better and more filling this pizza would've been on Joseph's pitas for about 190 fewer calories per serving (1/2 pizza).

Lesson learned.

I was just about to recommend Joseph's flatbread as an alternative, so I think that's a great choice on the pita. (: I looove the Sesame Seed one for a pizza crust. Makes a great thin crust pizza.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

Neither of you mentioned brand names ;)
  • kshama2001
    Meh. When I want pizza-- and I mean REALLY want pizza (which only happens about 4-6 times a year)--I just go to Blaze or Mod where I can get exactly what I want, and I enjoy every bite. Carpe Carbs!

I guess that was my mistake. I thought cauliflower crust was about lower calories, not lower carbs. I don't ever pay attention to carbs.

It made sense to me since the other places where I've subbed cauliflower (mashed potatoes and white pasta sauces), the calorie count was much reduced.

Was it pitched as being keto-friendly? Many of the keto recipes I've seen have higher calories than their non-keto base recipes. I think keto-ers are supposed to be satisfied for less calories, but that only works if someone finds fat satiating. I love fat, but don't find it especially filling - protein and fiber/volume does that for me.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

It really does depend on the brand. I buy "low-carb" tortillas specifically because they're delicious, high fiber, low-calorie, and cheap (it's the market pantry - target brand - carb conscious tortillas for anyone who cares), but I definitely have to check to make sure it is the lower calorie option for the size.
  • CassMurray215
    CassMurray215 Posts: 2 Member
    I have bought cauliflower pizza from Wal-Mart and Trader Joes (Philadelphia, PA) and my greedy, non-sharing, family loves them. So much so they have eaten or try them before I even could. However, there's a place here called Snap Custom Pizza and their cauliflower pizza is so amazing, it's too good to be true. Since I have not been able to Google their recipe for, I have stop eating it. But it did taste great.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019

Let me see if I can figure out what it was.

ETA: It was the Caulipower brand, the pepperoni one.
  • Luke_rabbit
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Actually, I mentioned the brand "CauliPOWER" in my title. Isn't it funny how the brain auto corrects when it reads?
  • Luke_rabbit

It really does depend on the brand. I buy "low-carb" tortillas specifically because they're delicious, high fiber, low-calorie, and cheap (it's the market pantry - target brand - carb conscious tortillas for anyone who cares), but I definitely have to check to make sure it is the lower calorie option for the size.

I just looked up Caulipower's website and they call it "low carb & low calorie". I honestly don't see how 510 calories in a very small, very thin pizza crust is low calorie. For reference, we sometimes buy the whole wheat Boboli crust and that's 750 calories for the whole crust. It is significantly larger and thicker. I am more satisfied with 1/4 of that crust (~190 cal) than I was with 1/2 of the CauliPOWER (~250 cal). Not low carb, of course.

I also buy the high fiber, low carb tortillas- but because they are low calorie!
  • Luke_rabbit
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I tried cauliflower mash a few weeks ago and anyone who says it's exactly like mash potatoes is lying. Never again, sticking with real potatoes.

I actually love cauliflower, so mashed cauliflower is yummy. So is mashed potatoes. And mashed sweet potatoes. I don't know why people try to say foods are something that they aren't. Personally, I would never try to trick or lie to someone about what a food is or tastes like.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited August 2019
    If it's 510 calories for a whole pepperoni pizza that's not too bad right? I thought you were talking about only the crust
  • Luke_rabbit
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I only bought that crust once. Not worth it. The Margheritta pizza from caulipowered on the other hand is great.
    If you want crust just get a large tortilla or a flatout wrap or sheet of lavash OR just make your own real pizza crust and eat less :)

I find it interesting that you didn't like using their crust, but you like one of their pre-made pizzas. Why do you think that is?

Pre-made pizzas rarely work for me because I can't eat tomatoes. So, in reality, I am really just eating a pizza-shaped meal. 😁
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I tried cauliflower mash a few weeks ago and anyone who says it's exactly like mash potatoes is lying. Never again, sticking with real potatoes.

So true! No matter what you try and mask it with, it still tastes like horrible CAULIFLOWER!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Actually, I mentioned the brand "CauliPOWER" in my title. Isn't it funny how the brain auto corrects when it reads?

Hah! My brain did indeed auto correct. I've been seeing "cauliflower" in your title this whole time.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    It always helps to lower one's expectations when buying food from shops. We make our own crusts from different vegetables and put in plenty of seasoning, so we only got ourselves to blame if it tastes blah.