MFP vs Noom

Anyone tried both? Thoughts? Trying to decide if I should continue with MFP or switch....

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I've personally only seen one thread about noom. I would suggest doing a search for it in the forums.

Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    From what I have heard, experiences with Zoom depend greatly on the personal coach who is assigned to you. I am not going to pay for hit or miss service.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Someone on my friends list (can't remember who or I'd tag them) was using it for a while, they did say they found it helpful in re-framing their relationship with food. Not sure if they stuck with it.

• tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    I looked into it because I kept seeing ads for it. I filled out all of the info and it said I could lose 20 pounds in 2 months. Seeing as how I am right in the middle of a normal BMI for my height I found that to be a pretty aggressive goal. I wasn't planning to pay for it either way but it would have been interesting to see how they thought I was going to lose about 2 pounds a week for 2 months. :#
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I wrote this on a previous post about the topic, sharing it here...

I used Noom to get back on track with weight loss two years after my last soiree with MFP. I signed up for the 2 week free trial and canceled it before the trial ended because I had read some reviews that made me a little suspicious of their customer service practices and because logging food in the app was so tedious. Their database isn't nearly as large as MFPs and they make you scroll so much to get the right amounts (e.g.: scrolling slowly from 1 to 300 if something is 300 grams).

I continued with Noom through the free version of the app because I found the daily behavior modification articles very motivating and the quizzes/challenges were fun. Once you cancel, the app reverts to the free version and you can still read all the articles and quizzes. I was really motivated by getting the little check mark that said I read all the articles and competed my daily check in. Truth be told, the articles get significantly worse after about 2.5 months.

With the free version, I didn't have access to the recipes, personal coach, or group chats, but I found ways around this. I have accountability through my partner at home who is also on a fitness journey and I found that the MFP forums give me all the "group" accountability I need. It's enough to check into these forums and remember I'm not doing this alone and plenty of posters here have similar questions that I have and are seeking support. I sought out recipe recommendations through my Fitbit community and through Facebook groups I was a part of.

All in all, I found the free version of Noom useful for it's daily psychology-based behavior modification articles. I learned a lot about myself and lost ~15 pounds (half my goal weight). Throughout the time I was using the free version of Noom for the articles, I used MFP to track calories because Noom's calorie tracker is awful and I used the MFP forums to stay "connected" and feel supported. After I was done with all the articles (after 4 months) I just stuck with MFP beacuse by that point logging and reading MFP articles and forums had become a daily habit too. Their whole program is CICO + behavior modification. MFP is good at the first, but behavior mod is incidental. Noom is better at the latter. For me, using both gave me the best of both apps.

I saved $180 by doing it this way. It may not be the way that works for everyone, but it worked for me. I credit Noom for motivating me in the beginning with the kinds of articles that you can't find on MFP, helping me stick to this journey for 4 consecutive months, and now in entering my 6th month without Noom. It's definitely an excellent tool for creating new habits and learning about your relationship with food...which is the whole point of the program.

Thanks for reposting this - I was going to dig for the thread that had it and you saved me the trouble :)

I've been meaning to do the same thing - free trial / free version.
  • curlyt1974
    curlyt1974 Posts: 6 Member
    I paid for Noom, hoping that the one on one coaching along with the psychological assistance would help me. My coach was totally useless and after a few weeks I gave up trying to chat with her. As stated their food database is garbage. The app was super slow. Some of the articles were pretty good, but not worth what I paid. I went away for holiday in March, and when I came back I had lost all access to group chats as well simply because I got behind on the daily work. I would not recommend Noom-even the free app. I find food tracking much easier on MFP-which is why I am back. :)
  • lancer_dancer01
    lancer_dancer01 Posts: 3 Member
    I have not used Noom but have used Omada which is somewhat similar. Didn't care for it and didn't see any change or improvement. I know am using 8fit which is significantly cheaper and so far have enjoyed it. I love having the meals and shopping lists calculated out automatically.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Started with Noom. Found the daily reinforcement and the behavior change elements very helpful. Stayed through the initial period. When it came time to renew, I switched to MFP since I thought Noom had given me all the tools I needed. The "coaching" and community aspects were the weakest aspects of the program. The daily structure, information, and cognitive-behavioral strategies were its strength. I accomplished significs t weight loss with it and continued to lose another 15 pounds after I switched.