Walking 30 min good exercise?

My question is if I walk 30 min everyday will that help me stay in shape? I just don’t want to be sitting around all day and eating. If I walk 30 min a day everyday would that be good enough exercise? I can’t do anything excessive due to medical reasons.

Replies

• ArtsyBrainz
    ArtsyBrainz Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks! I’m trying to gain weight while also have small amount of exercise to stay in shape while I gain. That’s why I wanted to know if it would keep my body healthy while I’m gaining weight :)@spiriteagle99
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Of course it is! And it does burn calories, depending on your pace and distance. Not as much as more strenuous exercise, but it does. It's also good cardio.
  • ArtsyBrainz
    Thanks! I can’t brisk walk though since I don’t want to lose weight just to say fit the best I can while I gain :)@Igfrie
  • ArtsyBrainz
    Fit to me is to look less bloated ( flatter stomach ) and look and feel thinner. While gaining weight ofc. What exactly is bodyweight training?

@middlehaitch

Ooh, okay! Thanks! Will help with the above? ^

@aries68mc
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Fit to me is to look less bloated ( flatter stomach ) and look and feel thinner. While gaining weight ofc. What exactly is bodyweight training?

@middlehaitch

Ooh, okay! Thanks! Will help with the above? ^

@aries68mc

Here is the link to Nerdfitness it explains bodyweight training.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

One set would probably be good, and skip the jumping jacks.
    If you can’t do all the moves, they have modified versions further down the page.

Cheers, h.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I think you need to be under professional advisement so they can work out a program for you
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,819 Member
    edited August 2019
    Another vote for consulting with your medical team.

ETA: I see from your thread in April that some doctors had refused to treat you - have you since been able to find care?
  • kshama2001
    I don't think its actually possible to do all of the things you want to at the same time! 'not do strenuous exercise'.

Right, one can accomplish 'gain weight' and 'look thinner' with recomp but I've never seen that framed as 'not strenuous.'
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Yes. It's wonderful to walk. Enjoy!
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2019
    @Emmapatterson1729 since you just mentioned on another thread you are a recovered anorexic I thought you might like to chime in here.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @Emmapatterson1729 since you just mentioned on another thread you are a recovered anorexic I thought you might like to chime in here.

The only thing I can add, is I lose weight walking. When starting a program (weight-loss and exercise), I always start by walking 25-30 minutes 3 days a week. I start strength training the same for toning (10-15 minutes) 1 lb hand weights. I still lose at a fairly steady rate and slowly tone muscles. I increase these as I get stronger.

To gain...Up calories! And eat back all the calories for walking! Walking is definitely exercise, especially when usually sedentary.

I believe MFP has settings in goals for gaining.
  • ArtsyBrainz
    About my other thread I was sick than. I am actually WAY healthier than I was than. I got treatment for it and am working with a treatment team. They know about my exercise and support it. They just said I can do anything like running but walking is fine. I go on 30 min walks and I am still getting there. I do have weight to gain but I’m not that far off my goal. I’m not trying to lose weight, I just want to stay fit and start to shape myself in a healthier way while I gain the next few pounds back. :)

@middlehaitch
    @lynn_glenmont
    @Pipsqueak1965
    @emmapatterson1729
    @kshama2001
    @JohnnytotheB
    @Hannahwalksfar
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    About my other thread I was sick than. I am actually WAY healthier than I was than. I got treatment for it and am working with a treatment team. They know about my exercise and support it. They just said I can do anything like running but walking is fine. I go on 30 min walks and I am still getting there. I do have weight to gain but I’m not that far off my goal. I’m not trying to lose weight, I just want to stay fit and start to shape myself in a healthier way while I gain the next few pounds back. :)

@middlehaitch
    @lynn_glenmont
    @Pipsqueak1965
    @emmapatterson1729
    @kshama2001
    @JohnnytotheB
    @Hannahwalksfar

Then ask *them* if 30 minutes every day will help you stay in shape.