Looking for support

amcozy
amcozy Posts: 70 Member
Hi everyone! My name is Amber and I’m back on MFP after about 10 years.

I was an MFP success story back in the day and successfully lost 70lbs and became a marathon runner. However, about 5 years ago I had a rough pregnancy that put me on bed rest, followed by a really tough fight with postpartum depression, then followed by my daughter’s autism diagnosis that has resulted in a huge lifestyle adjustment for the family that unconsciously put my eating and exercise habits on the back burner.

With my daughter’s health and well-being a bit more stable now, I think I’m ready to face my own demons and get my health back on track. The past several years I’ve self-medicated my stress with food and have tried time and time again to lose weight in a healthy way, only to fall back into my bad habits after a week or two. I feel defeated.

I need support from other people going through this too... so if you’re in the same boat, hopefully we can cheer each other on :)

Replies

• shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    I can't say that I have been through all that you have faced but I do know how disruptive and debilitating postpartum depression can be. Its good that you can now find the way to getting yourself back on track. Sometimes it can help to remember that your daughter deserves the best you can be. Strong and healthy, fit and happy.

Don't feel defeated. My mother always told me that you haven't lost until you quit trying. She's a bit crazy but sometimes she gives good advice. Don't give up, life's a journey not a race.

Good luck!
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    You got this!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    You did it once before, you can do it again.

I have had to lose weight 4 times due to injuries or illness that resulted in bed rest... Each time it led to depression, partly from being immobile, partly from pain, and then a bigger depression from the weight I would gain being bed ridden and having to depend on others to help with meal preparations. Each time I would give up on my health and end up compulsive over-eating.

Been back at it for about two months, and I already feel better.

You can definitely do it and get, not just back in shape, but back to a positive and healthy mindset!!

• donnaaykiran91
    donnaaykiran91 Posts: 2 Member
    You can do it!! I’ve gained 2 stone since having my son a year and a half ago now and am struggling to get back to my pre baby weight! We can do this x
  • Wolverine_76
    Wolverine_76 Posts: 4,482 Member
    Not in the same boat but been there with food and stress eating, always happy to help and add friends for mutual support. Feel free to add
  • jollygreen60
    jollygreen60 Posts: 4 Member
    It’s hard but look at what you did in the past and realize you can do it again. Stress was a big cause of me just eating anything without thinking. But I look at this as another thing I can adapt to; I had anxiety that I control now. I quit smoking, just got tired of it, after 40plus years. I adapted to gluten free after figuring out it was causing stomach and body problems. Now my doctor wants me to lose 25 lbs in six months. I’ll do it, it’s a slow process. Trust me when I say, if I can do it, you can too. I’ll be happy to help you out. Deal?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'm not a likely friend/support match but kudos for coming back. Everyone loves a good comeback story.