Russet potato: very inaccurate kcal / kg?

The "database" entry lists 1,293 kcal/kg (verified by 99 users!), but the USDA says it's 950 kcal/kg.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3084?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

Which is correct? How did those 99 users verify this number, and where does it come from?

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,708 MFP Moderator
    Definitely something odd there. When I look up the item as you did, I get the same entry right at the top. If I change to 1 kg, it shows the 1,293 kcal. If I choose 1 g and enter 1000 servings, the kcals show as 743. Still not 790, but it's closer :confused:

In the drop-down, three of the serving sizes all have 5.3 oz. This is a clue it was user-entered:
    • 148 g/5.3 oz - that's a correct conversion, 5.3 oz is 148 grams
    • 1 g/5.3 oz - uh, no
    • 1 container (2200 g/5.3 oz) - also no

Even though a bunch of people verified it, it's not a reliable entry on all serving sizes. Since you discovered this inconsistency, you can either choose a serving size that is close to correct, or choose a different entry to ensure your diary is more accurate. It's a bummer, but it's one of the side effects of having many user-entered foods. :flowerforyou:
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited August 2019
    How big is your potato? What is the % potato / potato skin? If you eat the skin - why? If you don't eat the skin, why not?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    maxbbbr wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, sugaraddict.

When I type "russet" into the search box, the 1,293 kcal/kg one is the first one.

rnn0dntmqnd9.png

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

The fourth entry is an admin entry. One tell is that it includes "baked". Most USDA entries for meat and produce will contain information on whether it is cooked or raw.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    maxbbbr wrote: »

Even though a bunch of people verified it, it's not a reliable entry on all serving sizes.

Interesting. One would expect the conversions between units to be handled automatically (and correctly).

Oh, there are so many problems with admin-entered entries in the database, it's pathetic. There are ml options for solid foods, which should have grams and ounces instead. There's an ongoing problem with cloves of garlic being hundreds of calories that is taking years to permanently fix. There are lots of entries that say 1 g but are actually for 100 g.

And these are just admin-entered entries that pull from the USDA database - I only use user-entered entries as a last result. The above errors are at least easy to spot.

I used to report errors for admin entries but the process was so frustrating that I stopped. For example, they'd put my issue in the Resolved status to indicate they'd emailed me, NOT THAT MY ISSUE WAS ACTUALLY RESOLVED.

This is why I'd never get Premium, which shares the same glitchy and cluttered database. Clean up the DB, and I'd reconsider.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    @lynn_glenmont I just like the kittens in a handbasket pic. Made my afternoon :)
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,708 MFP Moderator
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ...This is why I'd never get Premium, which shares the same glitchy and cluttered database. Clean up the DB, and I'd reconsider.

Speaking as a member here, not a mod. ;)

Cleaning up the database sounds easy but would be a nightmare. Many users entered their own potato (for example). If you then remove all the duplicates and try to have one entry each for baked and raw, you're going to have thousands of angry people whose frequent foods lists are borked and they have to search all over again. In addition, people would simply start entering their own "potatoe" again instead of potato.

I wouldn't want to be on the help desk the day that got implemented. :open_mouth: