Supplements or no??

When it comes to toning and tightening i been wondering if i should use some help. Ifso any advice? Keto to burn fat or speed my metabolism?? Or ?? I dont wanna sound cliche but i wanna get the most put of my workout and speed these results up!!!

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    I am personally against weight loss/fat burning supplements.

Known too many people to have bad effects. Or end up much bigger than they originally started after they quit the pills. (Even the prescription ones).

Due to my own experiences, I believe in starting light exercising programs and building up. Going too hardcore from the get-go can cause pulled or strained muscles or other injuries. (Which can be counter effective--nothing worse than being out of commission at the beginning of a new workout program). Or creating a workout that is not practical to keep up for life.

Can't count how many times, I have landed at doctor's office from "over doing it." Not being able to workout for weeks to months while my muscles or worse heal.

I start light, light cardio... Once my muscles get use to 30 minutes 3 days a week, then increase length or intensity, up it to 4 days, then a couple of weeks later increase intensity, then increase to 35 minutes, etc. Same with strength training, I start light and slowly increase reps or weights as my muscles adjust and get stronger.

I do workout on an empty stomach and eat either a high protein or high carb meal after workout, I read it helps metabolism by replacing energy from workout. (Now, high protein, because I do eat keto due to a medical condition, but agree with most others on mfp that it is not necessary to cut carbs extremely low to lose or maintain weight).

Good luck!!
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I Was using one and started feeling sick. Had a blood test and my liver gave e abnormal results. Do tokd me to stop with the supp and come back in two months for a recheck and I was fine.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Supplements are exactly that, to supplement where there's a deficiency.

Diet not include a lot of red meat so you're lacking in iron? Take an iron supplement (or add food that is higher in iron)
    Eating a vegan diet and having trouble getting enough protein? Take a pea protein supplement (or add food that is higher in protein)

Supplements are magic or special, they're just ways to conveniently supplement your nutrition.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    My advice would be if you want to speed up your results then first optimise your workout.
    Don't focus on the few tiny percentage points supplementation might (just might!) provide until you get the basics right.

What exactly is this "tightening and toning" you are doing?

BTW
    Keto doesn't burn any more body fat than an iso-caloric non-keto diet. Don't confuse burning an increased amount of overall fat due simply to eating a higher fat diet.
    Be very cautious about so called metabolism boosters. Most are just a way to extract money from the gullible.
  • Obelix55BC
    Obelix55BC Posts: 3 Member
    Each time I have tried a supplement (the latest one was 'Grendade') they have made me feel unwell e.g. stomach cramps. I am avoiding them now and stick to my 4 days a week HIIT training, a 'reasonably' good diet and lots of walking.
  • Im a relatively tiny chick im 5 ft and 109.. Im not looking to reallt lose anything except this thin layer of loose skin i have on my stomach area due to teo pregnancies. I just wanna tighten and tone my body. I want the and that everyone wants. My problem is i been working on them and i can feel them its just that damn skin that's there and i dont know exactly which areas to zone in on to rid me of that. I just wanna be abpe to see my results and it's annoying not being able to .. But im not giving up.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited August 2019
    Im a relatively tiny chick im 5 ft and 109.. Im not looking to reallt lose anything except this thin layer of loose skin i have on my stomach area due to teo pregnancies. I just wanna tighten and tone my body. I want the and that everyone wants. My problem is i been working on them and i can feel them its just that damn skin that's there and i dont know exactly which areas to zone in on to rid me of that. I just wanna be abpe to see my results and it's annoying not being able to .. But im not giving up.

There's not a whole lot you can do about loose skin, it's a genetics thing, you can't spot reduce in a particular area, particularly if it's skin rather than fat. You may find that building some muscle in that area improves the appearance.

Check out the recomp thread. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1 and this thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Yeah, no pill is going to do much about skin. Do keep in mind it can keep shrinking for a couple of years after losing weight/pregnancy.

No pill will help with 'toning' either--you're better off focusing on exercises. I only got muscle definition when I started lifting weights and doing bodyweight exercises like yoga/pilates.

The only supplements I take are protein powder sometimes and a daily multi-vitamin.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2019
    The only thing I eat that could be categorised as a sup is protein bars if u don’t make my target macros, I have a super early gym class or I’m hungry and need a low cal snack
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    All most supplements do is create expensive pee.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Im a relatively tiny chick im 5 ft and 109.. Im not looking to reallt lose anything except this thin layer of loose skin i have on my stomach area due to teo pregnancies. I just wanna tighten and tone my body. I want the and that everyone wants. My problem is i been working on them and i can feel them its just that damn skin that's there and i dont know exactly which areas to zone in on to rid me of that. I just wanna be abpe to see my results and it's annoying not being able to .. But im not giving up.

There's not a whole lot you can do about loose skin, it's a genetics thing, you can't spot reduce in a particular area, particularly if it's skin rather than fat. You may find that building some muscle in that area improves the appearance.

Check out the recomp thread. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1 and this thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

To add to this,

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

A well structured resistance team to help develop muscle will largely provide the biggest body improvement and give your body more shape.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Just lift weights, don’t overeat. There are no easy fixes.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    All most supplements do is create expensive pee.

Agreed!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Loose skin unfortunately won't go away with supplements. You're looking at surgery to remove loose skin.