Do I need 1200 calories?

I am 4’11, 112lbs, aiming to lose about 10-15 pounds (fairly athletic; was my normal weight until a serious injury that left me unable to exercise for 3 years when I was 45). MFP says 1200. I workout quite a bit, but my size means I don’t tend to get many exercise calories (e.g. today: 30 mins kickboxing + hour walk gave me 45 extra exercise calories; yesterday 30 elliptical + hour weights gave me 132 based on my Garmin) so it is hard to be in a deficit. My question is: am I supposed to eat 1200 (I see so many posts saying you need to; but I am so much shorter than everyone else). Or is it ok that I am in the 1100 range each day? I am trying to get a deficit going and I like to see at least 50 calories under each day. Super hard when I get so little from exercise. I may just need to work on my patience.

Replies

• mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    @middlehatch : thank you for your insights. My Garmin actually says I am in considerable deficit everyday. It gives me lots of exercise calories but when it syncs with MFP I seem to get very little in the calorie adjustment.

Thought I should follow MFP, but maybe I should follow what my Garmin is saying. Would make life much easier!! I would get more food and log more deficit each day. MFP seems to say my exercise is worth nothing. I see others logging huge calorie burns from exercise and see I do to when I log exercise in manually. But syncing with my Garmin result in MFP saying my exercise is worth very, very little.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    @middlehatch : thank you for your insights. My Garmin actually says I am in considerable deficit everyday. It gives me lots of exercise calories but when it syncs with MFP I seem to get very little in the calorie adjustment.

Thought I should follow MFP, but maybe I should follow what my Garmin is saying. Would make life much easier!! I would get more food and log more deficit each day. MFP seems to say my exercise is worth nothing. I see others logging huge calorie burns from exercise and see I do to when I log exercise in manually. But syncing with my Garmin result in MFP saying my exercise is worth very, very little.

What do you have your MFP activity level set at?
  • mittencat77
    Active
  • mittencat77
    MFP says I have a 90 calorie deficit today. My Garmin says I have a 436 calorie deficit today. I am not sure what to do with this conflicting information.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    MFP says I have a 90 calorie deficit today. My Garmin says I have a 436 calorie deficit today. I am not sure what to do with this conflicting information.

Pretty much what everyone else had said already. And it sounds like this is due to your activity level, MFP giving you your calories up front.

But I think there's something about one of them estimating your calories for the whole day and the other up 'til "now." What do yesterday's numbers look like?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

Pretty much what everyone is suggesting regarding setting mfp to sedentary.

Your other option is to disconnect the Garmin and track food/weight/exercise individually. Manually enter your exercises and calorie burns. You can use the numbers mfp gives you or calculate and enter your own using something like this.
    http://lamb.cc/calories-burned-calculator/

From there, simply track your weight. If you begin losing too much too fast, eat more. If your weight loss stalls, eat a bit less. It's trial and error for a lot of folks finding your own personal sweet spot, so give it some time, a month or so.

All that said, I have to echo middlehaitch on her caution regarding your weight as you are already very close to a healthy weight for your height. Your view of where you need to be may change as you continue to exercise and get stronger.

Best of fortune with your goals.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Completely off topic.

Hey @mittencat77, I’m in Victoria, small world.

Cheers, h.