The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I'm cool as a cucumber when the alcohol is in me but as it starts to burn off I'm a nervous,shaky mess! After awhile off it anxiety tends to fade away
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Facing my anxiety now without alcohol as a crutch, is a powerful & proud feeling.

Good for you!!! Yes it is empowering to gain control over something we never thought we'd be able to control. I need to apply this to my eating issue!!!! Is there specific ways that you cope with your anxiety now that you've stopped masking it with alcohol?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    Facing my anxiety now without alcohol as a crutch, is a powerful & proud feeling.

Good for you!!! Yes it is empowering to gain control over something we never thought we'd be able to control. I need to apply this to my eating issue!!!! Is there specific ways that you cope with your anxiety now that you've stopped masking it with alcohol?

Believe me, I had/have an eating issue too! I still take one pill that levels my brain chemistry out, but does not affect my everyday functions and does not ZONK me out. I was drinking 2-3 drinks plus taking meds per day just to leave my house. It hasn't been easy and I still struggle every day, but am gaining more confidence with getting my body back in shape and that is my focus. I was 280 last April and am now 217.8 as of today. I wish there was an easy answer to tell you. One step, one calorie, ONE DAY at a time.
  • lorrainequiche59
    @FeelinFooFoo I was wondering if you've ever really observed others who are drinking when you are not. The reason I ask that is because this round of being around others' drinking while sober, I wasn't so focused on my end of things as to how I was going to resist the plentiful drinks, but on how it was influencing others to act and trying to notice if their drinking was making the evening more fun for them and to be honest, I do not think that to be true in any way...in fact, at times, I would notice someone who was quite inebriated looking at me, but it was as though they were trying really hard to focus and I tried to remember that feeling of being "out of it", but pretending I wasn't "out of it". One thing that really stood out to me in particular is the vulgar language coming from someone who normally wouldn't speak that way and it was just so unattractive. There were a lot of fun moments, but they were interspersed with some very inappropriate behavior that clouded the fun. There was not one moment when I wished I was free to do what they were AKA overdrinking!! In fact, it only served to reinforce my commitment to remain AF.

I also believe that my sobriety is helping with my grief in ways that alcohol just is not capable of doing...in fact, alcohol delays the grief and just adds another layer to other unresolved grief....and then we become like rats on a wheel, slowly...or quickly...spinning out of control...

• lorrainequiche59
    @FeelinFooFoo Forgot my suggestion to you in the blurb above LOL If you decide to remain AF for your bro's b'day, try really watching people as the alcohol takes effect....it could be an eye-opener for you and you might begin to think of the connection of alcohol to specific events as less of a temptation for you...it's worth a try. :D
  • whitpauly
    Morning friends,ugh Lorraine,you probably wouldn't like to be around me in real life cuz I cuss like a sailor even without alcohol 😆 I hafta catch myself when I'm cutting hair cuz I just say whatever sometimes,no bueno! FeelingFooFoo, I think when you did the AE it really opened your eyes on the alcohol and how to avoid it,seems like you're really thinking things through when it comes to al,that's great! On the AA post yesterday I have tried it a few times, it's just not for me but I'm glad some people love to go,I have nothing against anything that works to stop drinking! Wishes for a fabulous AF day for us all💗
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    I love reading all of your comments and I agree with them!

Last night I went to bed early around 10 o’clock on a Saturday night. I had my window open and throughout the night I heard different young people arrive home probably from a night out on the town. I felt like the mother in the shoe listening. At about 3 AM I heard a couple of guys come from an Uber I I assume, because they stated how expensive that ride was. And then they all laughed and said they sure wish they could have some Taco Bell now.The irony is I was totally sober but up all night because of drinking.
  • whitpauly
    Morning friends, RubyRed sorry your sleep was messed up cuz of noisy drunks! A few Christmas eves ago our then neighbors pulled an all nighter (thought makes me cringe) they were so loud out in their garage drinking all night! Loud,none of us got much sleep so I feel for you,first day of school already today here in Vegas,I can't believe it! Feeling FooFoo,yep lots of new adventures AF are indeed possible ❤️ waves to all and wishes for a happy and healthy AF day
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427 and @lorrainequiche59 I feel blah too. Maybe it's the end of summer blues. I am also going to re-commit myself to better eating and exercise. I found a 15 minute quick workout on demand last night and forced myself to do it even though I didn't want to and guess what? I felt better after. It's no myth exercise makes us feel better emotionally. I have been more off the wagon than on and that's going to end too. I'm tired of this broken record of drinking, guilt, depression repeat. I KNOW I feel better when I've been sober. Just taking it one day at a time.

Hang in there Jen! You are back on track and take one day at a time ! ❤️
  • whitpauly
    End of summer blues here too, seems like it all just flew by! Jen yep take it one day at a time and it will fall into place,that's really all we can do❤️ waves to all and I hope we all have a nice AF day!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,484 Member
    @IWillTakeBackMyLife You sound clinically depressed. Please speak to your dr about anti depressants. They are so helpful for so many people, including me. I'm so proud of you for staying off the booze. We are here for you.