• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    oml6atofimbg.png
  • cee134
    7axh19j8co1h.png
  • shelaghcol
    shelaghcol Posts: 165 Member
    Is this a sort of private thread? I was hoping to find some kindred spirits. But the conversation seems like it’s just between a couple of people.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    shelaghcol wrote: »
    Is this a sort of private thread? I was hoping to find some kindred spirits. But the conversation seems like it’s just between a couple of people.

Just jump in. Start a thought or idea or comment on something already posted
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Anyone here ever build a MAME cabinet? I've toyed with the idea of building a cocktail-style cabinet for years, using whatever old PC I was retiring at the time. Now, I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Raspberry Pi and doing it. I'd only load the maybe 2 dozen games anyone would actually play, and maybe also include an MP3 player (but it will only play music from 1980-1984 B)).

I'm afraid I have no idea what a MAME cabinet is. I've toyed with the idea of building a PC for years, but never got around to it, and technology changes so quickly that I'm way behind on the latest and greatest.

MAME is "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator", a program that emulates the hardware of old arcade game systems. People have used it to build replica arcade cabinets around old computers, because modern computers are so much more powerful than the old arcade machines that even a 10-year-old laptop is plenty to play something like Pacman.

I plan on using a Raspberry Pi because they are cheap and small, but mostly because I've always wanted to get one to play around with, but never really knew exactly what I was going to do with it once I had it. :)
  • cee134

We're shy.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I am in awe of anyone who can build their own electronics...I just buy what I like, and I love my Atari Flashback!!!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    cee134 wrote: »

We're shy.

And being geeks and nerds we're also socially awkward.
  • cee134
    cvkvi9itzgk6.jpg
  • cee134
    7amsv11yslt0.jpg
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    I can't help it; I'll have to respond when I get home with a few of these types of memes I have hiding in a folder buried deep on my desktop...... lol

I've never actually played a pen and paper RPG, but have always wanted to; it looks like great fun! My best friend and I have tinkered with various systems over the years, but neither of us have ever actually played before, so its kind of hard to figure out how a game is supposed to be run while at the same time figuring out how to play.

I recently picked up a copy of Basic Fantasy, hoping that perhaps I can figure that one out, and because its old school. Anyone have any experience with that one?

I don't know anything about Basic Fantasy, but do you have the Dungeon Masters Guide?

aoer6th41c19.jpg

I have an old school copy of D&D from 1983. This was before TSR went bankrupt and WotC took it over.

0zd51lx1qwf7.jpg

Though, we have quite a few guides from 3rd, 3.5, 4th and Essentials as well.

Seeing this brings back memories....

I used to have a vast collection of all the books for D&D of that era. Not just basic. But, all of the AD&D 1E, 2E (MASSIVE amounts of books for 2nd...) and 3E. Started playing when I was 7, and continued well into my 30's. Was even a TSRO for a few years when TSR started on AOL, then moved to the web.

But, due to work, family, etc. I wound up getting out of it because my group fell apart and the next closest one just didn't mesh with that well.

Sold my entire collection. But, kept the PDF's from the 2nd Ed. CD rule set a few small dice and a half dozen miniatures. Wound up buying the 2E books again when they came out in the silver covers.

Ahh, some of the best memories were from gaming.

We still have most of ours. My husband is bigger into D&D than I am and I'm bigger into MtG than he is, so it balances out. :wink:
  • KosmosKitten
    That moment when you pull two rares in a pack and one of them is a foil. :heart:

3ynn1hcosep8.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    That moment when you pull two rares in a pack and one of them is a foil. :heart:

3ynn1hcosep8.jpg

awesome. wish i had time(and money) to play
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »

3ynn1hcosep8.jpg

About every two years I get excited about MtG, so I buy some sets and start playing again, then I want to build my own deck and I put a buncha time into it before realizing it's a dumpster fire of terribleness, then I don't play again for two years. I'm about a year into that cycle right now
  • KosmosKitten

3ynn1hcosep8.jpg

It helps that I have a friend who is waaaaaaay bigger into it than I am and he sends me all of extra C/U/Rs he has that aren't worth much. I get to spend most of my time looking for rares or just buying what I need to complete sets.

They also have MtGA which is online. It's free unless you want to put money into playing ranked matches or buying more card packs than what you get through winning. I haven't found a need to do that, so I don't.
  • KosmosKitten
    Reckoner68 wrote: »

3ynn1hcosep8.jpg

About every two years I get excited about MtG, so I buy some sets and start playing again, then I want to build my own deck and I put a buncha time into it before realizing it's a dumpster fire of terribleness, then I don't play again for two years. I'm about a year into that cycle right now

I don't think the game is terrible, but I think the practices of the company and the greed is getting to be excessive. Also, the culture around certain players is pretty off-putting, especially if you happen to be female.

I haven't run into many issues playing in small stores around the country, but it seems when you get into the competition aspect of it, some people are just straight up dicks and are not gracious losers at all.

The online version takes most of that away as well as the conflict of having to have someone around to judge the matches when someone doesn't agree with a play.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member

Wow, nice find!

I haven't actually touched magic for a few years now. All of the folks at my local shop have clicks, I can't seem to break into. And I stopped talking to my previous group of friends, who were all kinda into the the game.

On top of that, I just don't have the income to pursue that, plus my other hobbies. Still, I know how difficult a rare foil is.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

3ynn1hcosep8.jpg

It helps that I have a friend who is waaaaaaay bigger into it than I am and he sends me all of extra C/U/Rs he has that aren't worth much. I get to spend most of my time looking for rares or just buying what I need to complete sets.

They also have MtGA which is online. It's free unless you want to put money into playing ranked matches or buying more card packs than what you get through winning. I haven't found a need to do that, so I don't.

I've played but it's just not the same :wink: