Maybe this post will help !!!

Well after years of being overweight I finally dropped 50lbs with determination and all my MFP friends. I felt great, took pictures, received tons of comments and the gained 30 lbs back. I can’t seem to get motivated again, can’t even push through one day of eating under calorie limit. I do pretty good all day and then at dinner with wife and kids, I eat like I am on death row...

I am hoping that posting this jogs some lost willpower and desire, nothing else has been helping...

Wish me luck

Replies

• mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Good luck, you can do this!
  • vickiefitz81
    vickiefitz81 Posts: 6 Member
    Good luck! You can do this!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You did it before, you know what you have to do....so tough love from me, but just get on with it. You will feel so much better when you commit to being consistent again.

Today just. start. tracking. OK :smile: take it a day at a time, 1lb at a time.

All the best.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    ps are you eating very little during the day by any chance and therefore so hungry at night all willpower goes out the window? if that's the case, change that, plan your meals ahead of time so the hunger doesn't make you make poor choices in the evenings.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Love, compassion, kindness, patience, forgiveness for ourselves through meditation and throughout the day will give you the mental fitness to help you on your journey. I tell you this because this is how I operate. Be well and be happy!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    How aggressive is your deficit?

Just unsolicited advice so do with it what you will. Try to find a number you can actually live with. Even if it’s the maintenance number for your current weight. Find a number you can live with. It’s a place to start.

I don’t think there’s anything more destructive in weight loss than drawing red lines that we constantly cross. Big picture- we need to find some reasonable limits we can actually live with. If we have that and any kind of calorie deficit, it’s just a matter of time.

Last- take heart. You can do this. Don’t be overly discouraged because you haven’t found the right path yet. It’s there. Keep adjusting and tinkering with the numbers until you get it. Good luck.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    I swear I have a "will power" limit. I have felt like you, for a few years, at one point. I truly thought I'd never get my will power or discipline to do what it would take to get the weight off again. I just didn't care or feel motivated like I used to many times when I was younger.

All I can say is, magically..thankfully, a switch flipped in my head a year and a half ago. I suddenly wanted to get my weight off.. I was scared because I though maybe dieting wouldn't work again. But it did..I lost 40 pounds pretty quick really and have been working to maintain this past year.

All I can suggest is to do what you are doing.. keep it in your mind.. keep trying...and then one day things should click.
    Because of that real lack of motivation I experienced.. I am motivated to not regain. I don't want to tempt fate.
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    There's a lot of good advice to you here already, so I'll just add a supportive hug and float the idea of giving yourself mini goals. I find that choosing a nice outfit in the next size down gives me something to look forward to as a reward, but it's really imagining how I'll look and feel when I reach my goal that motivates me - not thinking about it intellectually, but feeling like I'm already there, if that makes sense. Once I believe it, I can do it. Trust me, it has taken me years to get to this point, so I totally empathise. Starting is definitely the hardest part. Be kind to yourself, you'll know when you're ready.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Get your kids on board! Tell them that you need them to help you keep to healthy portions. It'll be good for them too.
  • fmps5
    fmps5 Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks for all the encouragement and advice, I feel motivated to do one thing healthy today and track my calories... let today but the first step “back” on the right path....