Women Who Lift

Replies

• tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    jaroby wrote: »
    Trouble shooting question:

I just posted this in another thread but knew this group of lifting ladies would also have good insight. :D

I’m 31 5ft6in 194lbs. Mama of 3 kids. Baby is 14m weaned him 6 to 8 wks ago.
    When I breastfeed I have to maintain min of 2400+ cal or the milk dries up FAST.
    My body put on fat *after* he was born. (I think I need a certain bf% to nurse the little humans.)
    I start with all this b/c it’s possible the hormones are still at play and from past experience my body is quite sensitive to them.

Onward with other info...
    I workout 30-40mins a day M-F with fitnessblender.com weights, cardio, etc. sometimes I skip a video & go run cuz I like it.
    My TDEE according to various calculators runs from 2400-3,000 depending on my estimated daily activity level.
    I’ve been reducing my calories down by 100 every 2wks and have been sitting at 1800 a day for the last month.

I weigh the same. No loss. 194. It’s what I weighed at 9m pregnant last year. :smiley: It’s been 75 days of tracking, 4wks of those at what I thought was a good deficit (1800). My clothes fit different tho so inches must be losing? I am ALL FOR NSV’s! But the thing is, I don’t want to recomp. Ha! I’m happy with my muscle! I can *see* it in my leaner spots under the extra 20-30lbs.

Must I drop to an even greater deficit?? MFP has my “lose 1lb a week” somewhere around 1700. I’m not sure if my activity level as a mom is active or lightly active so I’ve just pegged my cal at 1800 and here and there I plug in my exercise cal’s and eat them back.

I know the scale can get stuck sometimes and I know not to put a lot of stock into it but man alive, I’d like to drop to around 170/160 and see how I feel. I don’t have the mental stamina to recomp a whole freaking 20lbs. That’s why I slowly dropped to really close to “lose 1lb a week” cal goal and held it there for a month thinking I’d reassess and make a new plan if needed. I was hoping not to have to do a deeper deficit.

Am I completely off my rocker or do I need to drop even lower!? And then again, how *much* lower!?

-I’m going to start taking measurements every 2wks to track a different progress point.
    -I strive to eat 4.oz protein at every meal + veggies and fill in the rest with heavy hitter carbs & fat. I drink 100oz+ water a day.
    -I weigh everything with a food scale or measuring cups if it’s liquid.

Sorry this got so long, wanted to give as much info as possible to better help anyone willing to shoot some advice my way. :smile:

Thanks in advance!!

As advised in your duplicate post in the ‘recomposition’ thread, you would probably get a better response starting your own thread.

Include your workout calorie burn and how you weigh or measure your calorie intake. Opening your food diary would be useful too.

Cheers, h.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

I’ve got to be honest, I’ve been reading in the threads for years and I’ve noticed that when people post their own threads there can seem to be very little visibility & traction since it can get lost in the numbers.

Not gonna lie, it’s a bit surprising to be told “please post your question somewhere else” 2 separate times.

Is the info about how I do weigh my food not visible? I remember including that, I’ve bolded it above. Let me know if it’s still not showing.

Your TDEE seems high. Cal-in or cal-out must be off too. Love your determination though!!
  • KelDawLan
    KelDawLan Posts: 7 Member
    I wanted to know what weight everyone lifts?
    For example I do 3 x 10-12 bench press with dumbbells 10kg each.
    Side lat raise is 3 x 8-10 4kg each.
    Shoulder press 3 x 8 9kg each.
    Just wanting to know if this is about the same for everyone, light or heavy. I’ve been on a programme for 2 months now, doing 4-5 30min sessions a week.
    Thanks x
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    KelDawLan wrote: »
    Just wanting to know if this is about the same for everyone, light or heavy. I’ve been on a programme for 2 months now, doing 4-5 30min sessions a week.
    Thanks x

When I do my heavy lifting at the gym, I use barbells. I also do sets closer to 5-8 reps. My bench is around 95lb(it was 105, but I've not had a good schedule this summer), squats 145-150, ohp 50-55(also lighter, but because of shoulder injury), deadlifts around 165. This is going to vary between us a lot because we are at different levels of strength and fitness and also different sizes and ages and we have different goals. My working weights are lower than I'd like them to be because I'm on summer break and do not have regular access to the gym. I'm hoping too ramp them back up soon.
    When I do videos with dumbbells at home, I use 5s or 7.5s because that's what I have.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I lift around my various injuries. Lol! All old injuries but I have to be careful to avoid surgery. New pb for me today: 125lb OHP!! Love the shoulder gains!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Thanks x

When I do my heavy lifting at the gym, I use barbells. I also do sets closer to 5-8 reps. My bench is around 95lb(it was 105, but I've not had a good schedule this summer), squats 145-150, ohp 50-55(also lighter, but because of shoulder injury), deadlifts around 165. This is going to vary between us a lot because we are at different levels of strength and fitness and also different sizes and ages and we have different goals. My working weights are lower than I'd like them to be because I'm on summer break and do not have regular access to the gym. I'm hoping too ramp them back up soon.
    When I do videos with dumbbells at home, I use 5s or 7.5s because that's what I have.

It really is going to vary, but I was surprised at how close yours are to mine!

Bench 100lbsx3
    Squat 165x2 (today!)
    OHP 70x3
    DL 195x3
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks x

Bench 100lbsx3
    Squat 165x2 (today!)
    OHP 70x3
    DL 195x3

Yes, very close, especially if I did fewer reps. I'm not sure what is wrong with my shoulder, but the heavy OHP bothers it. I was up to 70lbs, but decided it wasn't worth potentially making it worse. I need to get my deadlifts up, too. I think I stalled out around 180 before deloading.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Hi Ladies! I hope it’s ok if I join in here too?
    I followed NROLFW a few years ago and really fell in love with weight lifting! I was doing well for a few years despite some injuries (knee, compressed disc in low back and neck). Then I developed Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and have spent the last 2 years fighting infuriating weight gain, brain fog, fatigue etc. I’m a mom to 4 now, 19 down to 1.5, just turned 50 and have been faithfully back at the gym all year.
    I just started IF and LC to try and get some fat to leave. I’ve been in a deficit all year with no loss. Hormones are a bear! If has helped the last few weeks, I’m down 3-4 lbs which is a minor miracle for me these days.

I have been following SL 5x5 but am plateauing on my lifts. I’m looking at other programs- did gorgeous glutes years ago and liked it, might try TSL (I think I tried that book a while back but got bogged down in it. Maybe the journal would be better?).
    I’m running a decent deficit and usually lift fasted. Neither of those things will help me build muscle or add weight to the bar...but I’ve managed to get stronger the last few months anyway. I’ll keep plugging away and see where I go.

Feel free to add me if you like. I’m always up for lifting friends! No girlfriends IRL lift :(.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    edited August 2019
    I am not sure if I will qualify....I started doing Les Mills Body Pump class in January. I had never touched a weight before but exercised doing various cardio exercises and hot yoga. I can not say I love lifting yet, but I know as a 54 year old woman it is important for my fitness. Thanks to MFP I started tracking my food and discovered I was under consuming protein and since I have adjusted my protein intake have started to see improvements in my strength. I really enjoy the class atmosphere and the guidance and instructions. Since I am so new to picking up a barbell ( didn't even know the difference between barbell and dumbbell 8 months ago) not ready to venture out into the gym just yet...but love reading all your stories, they are very inspiring.
  • sastacular
    sastacular Posts: 15 Member
    Lifting interests me but I'm a complete noob and I don't go to a gym. How did you all learn how to lift? What would you reccommend to a beginner? I'd prefer not to rely on a personal trainer or gym membership.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited August 2019
    At the top of this sub forum there are the ‘must read’ threads. One is ‘which lifting programme is best for you’. Have a look through the beginner programmes and choose one that suits you at this point in time.
    No need to start with a barbell, though you can if you want, body weight or dumbbells are a good intro and get you in good condition to move onto barbells, if you wish.

Most of the programmes have links to sites that will give form instruction. I also think there are links at the bottom of the programme list for some excellent form instruction.

Cheers, h.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks x

Bench 100lbsx3
    Squat 165x2 (today!)
    OHP 70x3
    DL 195x3

I work in kg but my numbers are very similar, except for squats, but I'm getting back up to the 75kg slowly but surely after taking time off to concentrate on running.

Bench 56kg (123lb) tested 1rpm, 50kgx3 (110lb)
    Squat 75kg (165lb) 1 rpm pr, currently 45kgx5 (99lb)
    OHP 35kg (77lb) 1rpm pr, 30kgx5 (66lb)
    DL 99.5kg (219lb) 1rpm pr, 83kgx5 (182lb)

These were all on my last heavy week lifting cycle, none felt like I couldn't have gone heavier, but as I said heavy lifting took a back seat for a while and I'm only 3 cycles back in to it. Hope to be at or above my previous 1rpm in all lifts by end of year.
    eta : all my previous maxs were using gloves and belt (no belt for bench), I now lift raw
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    sastacular wrote: »
    Lifting interests me but I'm a complete noob and I don't go to a gym. How did you all learn how to lift? What would you reccommend to a beginner? I'd prefer not to rely on a personal trainer or gym membership.

Unless you own a weight set of some kind, you will probably need a gym membership to obtain access to weights.

You can do resistance training with your bodyweight, which can be very effective. This can be done without a gym.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member

sastacular wrote: »

Unless you own a weight set of some kind, you will probably need a gym membership to obtain access to weights.

You can do resistance training with your bodyweight, which can be very effective. This can be done without a gym.

What she said ^^.

Although I started off by buying a few pairs dumbbells for home workouts, not knowing that later down the road, they would become not as effective for strength training overall. But I still like to incorporate those lighter weights into my cardio workouts at home.
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    Trouble shooting question:

Your TDEE seems high. Cal-in or cal-out must be off too. Love your determination though!!

I’ve wondered about my TDEE as well but I’ve calculated it using multiple sites and equations. It always ends up at 2450/2500 and the highest range I saw was closer to 3. I don’t eat 3! Ha! But the only way to drop my TDEE below 2450 is to input wrong information so I’ve just gone with it. I really do workout 5-6 days a week and I lift as heavy as I can with clean form & I’m a hot sweaty mess :smiley: The low TDEE range comes from saying I’m working out 3-4days a week moderate intensity. The high range is 6-7 days a week high intensity. To get it lower I would have to say I’m sendentary/don’t workout and that’s definitely not true :smiley: This isn’t going by MFP, it’s using other sites to cross reference.

And I do weigh my food with an accurate scale. Bites, tastes, everything.

I don’t eat back 100% of the calories MFP counts my workouts for. I’ve read enough on the forums over the years to know that it’s overestimated.

Thanks for the encouragement though!
  • DebraNYC
    DebraNYC Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Ladies, getting back into training after several years of rotator cuff and wrist surgery, along with laziness. Now in my mid 40's and 143lb at 5'5" 32% body fat ( so sad at 36 I was 125 with 18% body fat, having trouble getting a good number for calorie.intake. depending on method I use I am anywhere from 1280 to 1850, with three workouts a week with weights and two cardio days. I tried 1280 and lost 10 lbs but BMI went up 5% so all I did was lose muscle.

What formula does everybody use? I feel like going to the high end will just put on weight as my metabolism is much slower than it had been when I was younger.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    i have been lifting 5x a week for 2 years, in love.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I sent you a friend request - I'm currently lifting a routine based on Arnold's Mr Universe routine.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    DebraNYC wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, getting back into training after several years of rotator cuff and wrist surgery, along with laziness. Now in my mid 40's and 143lb at 5'5" 32% body fat ( so sad at 36 I was 125 with 18% body fat, having trouble getting a good number for calorie.intake. depending on method I use I am anywhere from 1280 to 1850, with three workouts a week with weights and two cardio days. I tried 1280 and lost 10 lbs but BMI went up 5% so all I did was lose muscle.

What formula does everybody use? I feel like going to the high end will just put on weight as my metabolism is much slower than it had been when I was younger.

Not sure if this will help, but my stats were very similar. I’m 41F, and started in February at 145. I planned to lose pretty slowly, as I wanted to maintain muscle mass, and I hate to be hungry:) I generally ate about 1600, sometimes more. I wasn’t too fanatical about it, and the weight loss was slow. But I’m 129 as of today (I had actually stopped trying to lose about a month ago, and haven’t been tracking, but still seem to be losing at a very slow pace).

I started with walking and lifting 3x per week, and over time have increased my cardio activities and now lift twice per week. I had also been inactive due to injury prior to starting in February. I think I look better now at 129 with lifting in the mix than I did at 120 with just running.