Expectations: lessons from a cat

csoderstrom
csoderstrom Posts: 25 Member
edited August 2019 in Getting Started
So, I follow a cat on Instagram who was terribly obese. 33lbs. His people adopted him this way and have been getting him more exercise and adjusting his food type and caloric intake. After 1 year he has lost 8 lbs which is 25% of his original weight.

So, I was thinking about it… A CAT TOOK ONE YEAR TO LOSE 25% OF HIS WEIGHT.

He has all day to run around and exercise, has people strictly controlling his caloric intake--he can't run out for ice cream or a burger. His people tell him when it’s time to exercise and a vet advises his people every step of the way.

Really listen....A CAT TOOK ONE YEAR TO LOSE 25% OF HIS WEIGHT.

Why am I expecting myself to be able to lose 25% in just a few months?!

I am the master of what goes in my mouth. I am in control of my exercise habits, water consumption, how many goodies I get from the breakroom. I have free will, a complicated set of emotions, and I WILL faulter.

It took me years to get to this weight. I can certainly give myself a year (or more if needed) to lose it, right? And I don’t have to do it alone. I recently went to a great dietitian to help guide me in figuring out how to do this in a sensible way.

A cat took one year to lose 25% of his weight; I think we humans can give ourselves a break and realize that THIS CAN BE A LONGER PROCESS than the “Lose 30 lbs in 60 days” crap we’re always buying into AND THAT IS COMPLETELY OKAY!

picture borrowed from Bronson's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/IAmBronsonCat/
w9yy8uoqikxj.jpg

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Light bulb moment, for sure!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Great observation and thought process!

I can't get past those cute paws. Looks like he has mittens on.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Go Bronson!!

:flowerforyou:
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2019
    that's inspiring both to me and because my boycat needs to lose 2 lbs (is 19 lbs should be 17 lbs. He's a big boy! Seriously. His head is almost twice the size of my 9 lb girlcat's).

Vet says it's kibble that makes them fat. It has...too many carbs....So I think that's a lesson too.

PS: I wish we could hit more than one button...I'd like to hit insightful, inspiring, and like!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    This is a great perspective!
    ..and you know he grumbles at that tiny bowl of food. :lol:

And stomps around all day saying he is STAAAARRVVING and nobody EVER feeds him!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    What a handsome cat!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Love this post! go Bronson :-)
  • What a cutie! I've heard before that cats are naturally hypothyroid- low thyroid function which is why they are sleepy/hungry all the time and gain weight easily/slow to lose weight. Might just be a myth though
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    What a cutie! I've heard before that cats are naturally hypothyroid- low thyroid function which is why they are sleepy/hungry all the time and gain weight easily/slow to lose weight. Might just be a myth though

I think they seem more sleepy and hungry because we see them during the day and they are naturally nocturnal.

Me on the other hand I am sleepy and hungry most of the day, but can't blame that on thyroid haha
  • I love this post!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    What a cutie! I've heard before that cats are naturally hypothyroid- low thyroid function which is why they are sleepy/hungry all the time and gain weight easily/slow to lose weight. Might just be a myth though

I think they seem more sleepy and hungry because we see them during the day and they are naturally nocturnal.

Me on the other hand I am sleepy and hungry most of the day, but can't blame that on thyroid haha

Actually, they're crepuscular. Most active at dawn and twilight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    that's inspiring both to me and because my boycat needs to lose 2 lbs (is 19 lbs should be 17 lbs. He's a big boy! Seriously. His head is almost twice the size of my 9 lb girlcat's).

Vet says it's kibble that makes them fat. It has...too many carbs....So I think that's a lesson too.

PS: I wish we could hit more than one button...I'd like to hit insightful, inspiring, and like!

Why do they put carbs in food formulated for an obligate carnivore?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »

Why do they put carbs in food formulated for an obligate carnivore?

It's not uncommon for weight loss, actually. Not sure how it achieves the reverse, but if you check the ingredients on the "healthy weight" cat foods, you'll find grain is usually one of them.