Share Your Day

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I will be up on the scale today. I had restaurant food for lunch both Saturday and Sunday. I had a few more calories, more carbs than normal for me, and higher sodium. It never pleases me when it goes up instead of down but I have learned that I cannot live in fear of upticks because it makes my plan unsustainable. I needed a little more this weekend to help with the stress I am under at the moment. It will go back down in 4 days or so. Small price to pay.

One thing I have learned to tell myself that might help others is that I do not believe when I get to the very end of this weight loss phase I will ever care about the upticks. I don't even care about the normal ones that have happened up to now. The current one is the only one that sucks and I try to keep that down to being disappointed for no more than a minute once the results are seen.

I also do not believe I will care that I could have gotten there faster if I had been more rigid. Experience has taught me that being more rigid never worked so I believe that for me success is dependent on taking my foot off the gas here and there.

@NovusDies I think you are exactly right about rigidity. I told my husband that I know how to lose weight perfectly but I don’t know how to lose it imperfectly. And that is why I always gain it back. I’m also trying to force myself to get over disappointment quickly. If I don’t, I quickly spiral and make it ten times worse than the initial activity. You have been so incredibly successful so far! That’s a huge win focus on during an up time.

I am only up 1.2 pounds which seems to be my favorite uptick number. "Uptick" is another one of the mental tricks in my bag. Calling it an uptick for me is more technically correct than calling it a weight gain. Yes my weight did go up slightly but it is temporary so by calling it an "uptick" it minimizes it for me. Of course I also know that I was in a calorie deficit this weekend and even though it was less than normal I still lost weight despite what the scale says.

As you know I kind of end up preaching imperfection because I think being perfect is a hard line that I don't think many people can walk. I have a life that can be messy, I am not perfect anyway, and I also don't want to feel deprived when it is not necessary.
  • NovusDies
    I somehow managed to maintain over the last week, despite there being boozy desserts and no moving from the boyfriends sofa on Saturday to have a recovery day from my injury (he literally waited hand and foot on me, whilst I binged on Netflix bless him).

I have been listening to the James Smith podcast recently (if you're not familiar he's a personal trainer who is trying to help push the industry away from the bro-science and encourage better education around calorie deficit/sustainable diet) and one that particularly resonated with me was his podcast on women's weight loss.

Now although it is all about calorie deficit when it comes to weight loss, it's the sustainability part that most of us struggle with and he hits the nail on the head when he talks about the lady-cycle. He experimented with one of his clients by putting her on reduced calories for only 2 weeks of her cycle (I'm not sure but I think it was during her period and during ovulation) after finding that she struggled being in a deficit all month around.

This is something I have struggled with myself and tends to trigger my binge-eating habits when I forget where I am in my cycle. When I am paying attention I tend to try to eat a few more carbs and up my calories for a couple of days the week before my period and a couple of days during ovulation.

So for the remainder of this cycle and next rather than trying to be consistently in a 1 pound per week deficit, I am going to try 2 pounds per week days 1-14 (Period and week following) 0.5 pounds per week/maintenance for days 15-28 (Ovulation/PMS week) and see how that goes.

I have really struggled to find something that works long-term since becoming more active (hiking/rowing/strength training/cycling) and I don't want to go back to being inactive in order to lose weight.

Seems like a smart plan to try and I love that you are fighting and trying a new idea to adapt to your changes. I am very aware that what I do now as a "slightly active" person may not work well for me post-op when I really try to catch up to where I think I should be now. Even though, as a man, this plan doesn't apply to me I am inspired by your willingness to keep pushing yourself.

I also hope your injury is not going to sideline you much longer.

Hoping it'll be ok by the end of the week, I probably messed it up by rowing last week when I didn't intend to, but if I left it to the kids I'd probably be floating out to sea now :lol:

You might have made a mistake. I hear those "out to sea" diets really get results.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I somehow managed to maintain over the last week, despite there being boozy desserts and no moving from the boyfriends sofa on Saturday to have a recovery day from my injury (he literally waited hand and foot on me, whilst I binged on Netflix bless him).

I have been listening to the James Smith podcast recently (if you're not familiar he's a personal trainer who is trying to help push the industry away from the bro-science and encourage better education around calorie deficit/sustainable diet) and one that particularly resonated with me was his podcast on women's weight loss.

Now although it is all about calorie deficit when it comes to weight loss, it's the sustainability part that most of us struggle with and he hits the nail on the head when he talks about the lady-cycle. He experimented with one of his clients by putting her on reduced calories for only 2 weeks of her cycle (I'm not sure but I think it was during her period and during ovulation) after finding that she struggled being in a deficit all month around.

This is something I have struggled with myself and tends to trigger my binge-eating habits when I forget where I am in my cycle. When I am paying attention I tend to try to eat a few more carbs and up my calories for a couple of days the week before my period and a couple of days during ovulation.

So for the remainder of this cycle and next rather than trying to be consistently in a 1 pound per week deficit, I am going to try 2 pounds per week days 1-14 (Period and week following) 0.5 pounds per week/maintenance for days 15-28 (Ovulation/PMS week) and see how that goes.

I have really struggled to find something that works long-term since becoming more active (hiking/rowing/strength training/cycling) and I don't want to go back to being inactive in order to lose weight.

Seems like a smart plan to try and I love that you are fighting and trying a new idea to adapt to your changes. I am very aware that what I do now as a "slightly active" person may not work well for me post-op when I really try to catch up to where I think I should be now. Even though, as a man, this plan doesn't apply to me I am inspired by your willingness to keep pushing yourself.

Hoping it'll be ok by the end of the week, I probably messed it up by rowing last week when I didn't intend to, but if I left it to the kids I'd probably be floating out to sea now :lol:

You might have made a mistake. I hear those "out to sea" diets really get results.

I dunno there'd be an abundance of Salmon :lol:
  • tinkerbellang83
    PS @NovusDies popped you a group related query by PM but not sure if you're one of the people who doesn't get notifications, so "You've got mail!"
  • NovusDies

I dunno there'd be an abundance of Salmon :lol:

You have a point there. I do love salmon sashimi... raw is one of the few ways I like salmon. I love its cousin trout though and I am having a big filet today as a matter of fact.
  • NovusDies
    PS @NovusDies popped you a group related query by PM but not sure if you're one of the people who doesn't get notifications, so "You've got mail!"

Replied.
  • christoD88
    christoD88 Posts: 7 Member
    had my second bi-weekly weigh in today, only 3lbs off but i expected a poor result this weigh in due to a few questionable meals and a big knees up last weekend. but onwards and upwards, or in this case downwards towards 230 hopefully.
    just a check in to keep me accountable
  • tinkerbellang83
    I had a very good day yesterday, not sure it'll hold up as well as that for the whole week, I am aiming for just a 250 cal or below, yesterday my deficit MFP Food vs Garmin TDEE was 800 cals and I definitely wasn't starving.

Injury is on the road to recovery - banged my head carrying one of these things up the slip (Irish Naomhóg Currach) which are pretty heavy, pain is gone, it's just a bit stiff trying to turn my neck around.

bawhioktocae.jpg

I'm out for dinner tonight with a friend, going to try where possible to make sensible choices. I've 800 calories left for the day after lunch/snacks and have met my step requirements for activity level in MFP with another 6km of walking planned so I reckon I will have about a 1000 cals to play with if necessary.

So maybe a Dirty Chicken Burger from this place: http://sonofabun.ie/what.html

• TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    Back on track today and feeling better!! Binge watching the tv, pottering about tidying up the house, and on track to stay well within my daily calories 😊
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I had a very good day yesterday, not sure it'll hold up as well as that for the whole week, I am aiming for just a 250 cal or below, yesterday my deficit MFP Food vs Garmin TDEE was 800 cals and I definitely wasn't starving.

Injury is on the road to recovery - banged my head carrying one of these things up the slip (Irish Naomhóg Currach) which are pretty heavy, pain is gone, it's just a bit stiff trying to turn my neck around.

bawhioktocae.jpg

I'm out for dinner tonight with a friend, going to try where possible to make sensible choices. I've 800 calories left for the day after lunch/snacks and have met my step requirements for activity level in MFP with another 6km of walking planned so I reckon I will have about a 1000 cals to play with if necessary.

Your Garmin does a tdee calculation? I have fitbit and it does a calorie burned calculation I honestly havent paid much attention to. I tried to figure my own tdee up and came up with a high number 4800 calories. Using a tdee calculator on the internet it told me about 4300 calories. Using my 4800 calculated number and then calculating my deficit I was about 2lbs off my actual weight so it must be close I guess. Why cant I just eat mint chocolate chip ice cream all day and lose weight lol.
  • tinkerbellang83
    jjlewey wrote: »

bawhioktocae.jpg

Your Garmin does a tdee calculation? I have fitbit and it does a calorie burned calculation I honestly havent paid much attention to. I tried to figure my own tdee up and came up with a high number 4800 calories. Using a tdee calculator on the internet it told me about 4300 calories. Using my 4800 calculated number and then calculating my deficit I was about 2lbs off my actual weight so it must be close I guess. Why cant I just eat mint chocolate chip ice cream all day and lose weight lol.

You can, it just wouldn't be very filling or nutritious. Google the Twinkie Diet which was an experiment someone did.

The calories burned at the end of your day on Fitbit is a TDEE but it takes into account things like your heart rate and actual activity. They are all just estimates, my Garmin is pretty spot on though (I lose at the rate expected when logging food accurately based on weekly difference between MFP food eaten and Garmin calories burned)
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    Well... I just got back from my first vacation since I started logging/weighing/trying once again to lose weight. It was a vacation with my family that's scattered in different states, all together at the beach & then my grandmother's. I was gone for 10 days. This basically means tons of food everywhere & no way to really know how to log. I just flat guessed for most of the week & if we went out to a local place, I found something similar at another restaurant to log. It was messy & very inaccurate, but I survived! I thought about what I was eating, but didn't obsess over the inability to accurately log & just enjoyed my vacation with my family. The world didn't end & I didn't give up because I couldn't do it "right". I just did what I could & I am so ready to be back in my routine with my kitchen scale & control over all things in the kitchen. Being back in my routine today is a relief & I fully expect some added water weight & an uptick on the scale & I'm not even worried about it. It'll go away in a few days or so. (BTW... thanks to whomever it was that starting using the word "uptick." I agree that it does help mentally!)

Also today, I finally clicked the update button in the settings to let MFP update my calorie goal since I've lost just over 20 lbs & the calorie hit was much bigger than I expected! My daily goal went from 1550 to 1430. I expected the decrease, but not that much for a 20 lb loss. I'll adjust & it'll just become my new normal. It does give me a little anxiety that at this rate, MFP will have me down to 1200 with nearly 100 lbs still left to lose!

I think I need to go ahead & start my own spreadsheet like @NovusDies to see how accurate the goal is on MFP. I also love data and numbers & while I can definitely handle my new goal now, I know it will only get harder as that number gets smaller. I think having that data in a pretty spreadsheet with the facts in front of me will make it easier mentally. I really also need to get off my butt & move a bit more, but dadgumit, this heat sucks (heat index is 110+ today with over 70% humidity)! Time to choose my hard! :)

It was very nice to get back today with so many posts to read! It really helps me recenter & it sure is nice to not feel alone in this. Y'all are awesome!
  • NovusDies
    @jlucas210 That is an excellent report and a great way to handle your vacation. Just allow it to happen, log the best you can, and then get back to the new normal once you return.

If you start a spreadsheet be careful how much you talk about it... I can sometimes feel the eye rolls through the screen! The first place to start though is determining if MFP has your calories correct. Mine have been off by more than 100 calories at times.
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    @NovusDies haha! Yeah... I sense those same eye rolls when I talk numbers/taxes sometimes, too (I'm an accountant). :smile:
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Disappointed today, I promised myself some new trainers when I broke the next stone bracket so I popped to Sports Direct and nothing fitted properly. It seems I still have fat feet :D
  • NovusDies
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Disappointed today, I promised myself some new trainers when I broke the next stone bracket so I popped to Sports Direct and nothing fitted properly. It seems I still have fat feet :D

Too bad spot reduction is not possible.

You never know where the next pound will come from so maybe you will get lucky.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

Have you tried Boys/Mens ones? They are wider fitting
  • Jackie9003
    Thanks Novus, it'll come I'm sure.
    I didn't think about looking at mens, I might do that at the weekend, thanks.
  • NovusDies
    Hopefully no one will stare at you as much as they do when I shop in the women's shoe department.

• Jackie9003
    Hopefully no one will stare at you as much as they do when I shop in the women's shoe department.

:D:D:D