What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited August 2019
    Second workout: I went to my first ever track cycling class...and crashed on a turn. The person went down onto the flat part of the track and then popped back up and I had nowhere to go but down a 45 degree slope.

Nothing is broken or dislocated and I have minimal road rash, but my left hand is swollen. Thankfully the thicker part of my palm is what hurts a lot and not individual fingers, though my pinky isn't happy. The front wheel of the rental track bike fared worse than my pinky. I've taken ibuprofen and have a conveniently sized ice pack from my last shipment of expensive chocolate that I'm holding off ad on (it's the only chocolate I'll seek out which means I don't eat a lot of chocolate). I did end up doing another 3 or 4 laps after spending some time on the infield and getting a second rental bike set up for me.

While the theme past 12 months especially has essentially been "push yourself out of your comfort zone and don't stop", this might be where I draw the line. The potential for broken bones is slightly too high and I'm really really tired of having broken bones. It sucks because it's one of those "this is fun but scary", which is similar to rowing, but the likelyhood of me breaking my collarbone is a heck of a lot lower from rowing.

The good thing is that I should be able to sweep row just fine given that I only row port and thus my left hand does zero squaring and feathering and I don't have another sculling practice until Sunday which is a fair amount of time. I might maybe get on the bike inside tomorrow but otherwise tomorrow is a sleep in day.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I used the indoor rower yesterday. I did 4 sets of 1500 metres with 3 minutes rest between sets. My average pace was 2.14; best was 2.09 on the last set.
  • MrsReeves711
    MrsReeves711 Posts: 15 Member
    2eaufoqnjwkb.jpeg
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    20 minute stretch and roll out

Super set
    12 lateral pull down 100lbs
    12 over head press 70lbs
    12 each side standing lunge with 35lb dumb bell
    Farmers carry with kettle bells 12kgs both hands
    7.5lb lateral raises to failure
    4 sets for the super set

followed by

Super set
    12 Bent over row 35lbs
    12 pause deadlift 105lbs
    Romanian deadlift 15lbs each hand
    20 wood chops each side with black resistance band
    7.5 lb lateral raises to failure
    4 sets for the super set

GHR 3 sets to failure

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    8/14
    am
    Mobility
    Hip and shoulder warmup
    Strength
    Handstand Pushup - GTG
    *On a Yoga Block
    5 x 3 (15)
    Pull-ups - GTG
    5 x 6 (30)
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (3 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 5 Rounds
    Strength
    Al Kavadlo Pull-up Progression - 50 pull-ups (14:24.47)
    12-6-6-6-5-5-5-5
    *One more time here then on to 75…
    Meditate
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    3mi easy run with run club. 108f :D
    Bit hot.

Supposed to be that hot in my part of the world today. I can handle it and enjoy running in hot weather, just got to be properly hydrated and be smart paying attention to your body. Nonetheless, I'll probably pass the opportunity to run in today's heat and do a gentleman's workout inside. Great job, be safe.

• pierinifitness
    J72FIT wrote: »
    8/14
    am
    Mobility
    Hip and shoulder warmup
    Strength
    Handstand Pushup - GTG
    *On a Yoga Block
    5 x 3 (15)
    Pull-ups - GTG
    5 x 6 (30)
    Yoga
    Strength
    12-6-6-6-5-5-5-5
    Meditate

Take it your shoulders are feeling better. Read up on his approach and it appears that there's a 15-minute goal to complete the reps. Am I correct and is that what you're doing? I like that approach and it's similar to what I do when trying to up my rep volume and reduce time. Keep up the good work.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited August 2019
    J72FIT wrote: »
    8/14
    am
    Mobility
    Hip and shoulder warmup
    Strength
    Handstand Pushup - GTG
    *On a Yoga Block
    5 x 3 (15)
    Pull-ups - GTG
    5 x 6 (30)
    Yoga
    Strength
    12-6-6-6-5-5-5-5
    Meditate

Take it your shoulders are feeling better. Read up on his approach and it appears that there's a 15-minute goal to complete the reps. Am I correct and is that what you're doing? I like that approach and it's similar to what I do when trying to up my rep volume and reduce time. Keep up the good work.

Hey P!

Yes shoulder is better, couple days of ice, heat, rest and a beach visit or 2.

Yes 15 minutes is the goal amount of time.

A note about the time, grease the groove was from 6:30am - 7:30am. The Al Kavadlo progression was at 8:30am.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Spin was Tabata for 1/2 an hour. I liked the intensity and it went by fast. Pilates after was 50 minutes, not the 30 I thought. That’s a lot of Pilates for me, but it was a good class. My elbow isn’t too bad, so it’s on for my first kayaking experience with my new kayak tomorrow. Getting it on and off the roof of my car will be interesting, but I’ve got some tricks up my sleeve (thanks to You Tube) to keep me from straining my elbow AND of course because it’s Thursday, 1 1/2 mile walk with my daughter and the dog. We found a rail trail that’s mostly in shade, so it makes a perfect mid day walk.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    5 mile trail run + 15 minute "restorative" yoga session on my DownDog yoga app. B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Another 7.2k rowing the double, this time with one of the newer rowers, so more coaching by me, from bow.

Working on trying to get her to correctly separate the sequence of body parts on the drive (push with legs, then open body at the hips, then pull in arms) while still giving them smooth flow, one into the next, in order to be long through the water), so I worked on the same things myself. People so often want to place the blades at the start of the drive by raising the upper body at the shoulders (opening up the body angle early), instead of simply raising the straight arms from the shoulder, letting gravity drop the oar blades, while keeping the full forward-leaning body wedge. Gives up power and length. (Same thing can happen on the rowing machine, for slightly different reasons, and is suboptimal form there, as well.)
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    One hour boot camp class: burpees and pull ups and push ups galore.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    3mi easy run with run club. 108f :D
    Bit hot.

Supposed to be that hot in my part of the world today. I can handle it and enjoy running in hot weather, just got to be properly hydrated and be smart paying attention to your body. Nonetheless, I'll probably pass the opportunity to run in today's heat and do a gentleman's workout inside. Great job, be safe.
    Ya it’s pretty extreme. Unfortunately I was unable to run all spring/early summer. So I lost all heat tolerance and endurance. Normally I’d be much better off for summer running. But this year is a whole different battle. I’m definitely coming back though. Weekly progress. Have a great workout!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Pretty quiet Wednesday for me.

1hr with trainer. 30min of sprints followed by 30min stair workout. Everything was screaming by the end.

1hr piyo class. Really love the timing of this class. I'm usually feeling pretty beat up after the craziness that is Tuesday and by the end of piyo I feel all stretched out
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another 7.2k rowing the double, this time with one of the newer rowers, so more coaching by me, from bow.

Working on trying to get her to correctly separate the sequence of body parts on the drive (push with legs, then open body at the hips, then pull in arms) while still giving them smooth flow, one into the next, in order to be long through the water), so I worked on the same things myself. People so often want to place the blades at the start of the drive by raising the upper body at the shoulders (opening up the body angle early), instead of simply raising the straight arms from the shoulder, letting gravity drop the oar blades, while keeping the full forward-leaning body wedge. Gives up power and length. (Same thing can happen on the rowing machine, for slightly different reasons, and is suboptimal form there, as well.)

Actually worked on this today actually. The "pick drill" for the last 20 minutes. Did 20 on the Indoor rower until the HR got up to 150, then 20 on the bike, then thought I'd lower the DF on the machine and still couldn't keep the HR in check so I did the Pick Drill instead. I think I need to work more on my flexibility because I seemed be be breaking early today too. Finally felt like I was doing well at the end.

Form checks periodically are great. I'm sure even more important OTW.

Pick drill if anyone cares
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXnpSNf3A
  • aokoye
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Actually worked on this today actually. The "pick drill" for the last 20 minutes. Did 20 on the Indoor rower until the HR got up to 150, then 20 on the bike, then thought I'd lower the DF on the machine and still couldn't keep the HR in check so I did the Pick Drill instead. I think I need to work more on my flexibility because I seemed be be breaking early today too. Finally felt like I was doing well at the end.

Form checks periodically are great. I'm sure even more important OTW.

Pick drill if anyone cares
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXnpSNf3A

Yeah we include either the pick drill or the reverse pick drill in seemingly 99% of our sweep practice warm-ups. For sculling we typically do a version of that as well stopping at the finish, arms away, then bodys over in succession every stroke for five strokes and then 5 strokes regular repeated until X landmark (a bridge or an island depending on what direction we're going). It's like a mix of a pick drill and a pause drill.
  • aokoye
    edited August 2019
    An hour on Zwift - the 5th Zwift Academy workout: 1 minute peak power more specifically. Felt pretty good all things considered. I was easily able to find a position that didn't make my left pinky hurt. The road rash on my knee wasn't always pleased with the world, but it was ok most of the time.

My hand feels better than it did last night, thankfully. The rest of the day will be spent icing it off and on. I'm debating on whether or not I want to go to next week's track class. Really I just have zero desire to crash again and I'm less than confident about that not happening despite yesterday's incident being a rare occurrence. Of course now I'm also thinking to myself, "hm, how badly to cat 5 cyclocross racers crash?" heh.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 526 Member
    today was a 3.5 mile walk fighting with 205 pounds worth of ornery dogs on leashes, followed by 1.15 hours of mowing the lawn with a heat index of 105. :D
  • pierinifitness
    8/14/2019 - 103F degrees outside so I took an almost-senior pass and did the following workout in my bare-bones spare office gym:

Bar dips x 5 plus 4-count step-up and step-down using a 12-inch step x 25 equals one round - completed 20 rounds (100 bar dips and 500 step-ups) in 26:35 - average HR = 138 bpm (77 percent) maximum HR = 155 bpm (86 percent) total 301 calories.

Did work up a sweat despite doing this workout in a comfortable air-conditioned office. I could have muscled an outdoor workout but don't have anything to prove to myself that I haven't already proved. Feels good that I did something, I was teetering on taking a pass today.