Calorie defecite on MFP

Hello, currently my calories are set at 2000 per day to lose 2lbs per week. I triathlon train 6 days a week. I only eat around the 2000 calorie mark (give or take a 100). If I burn 500c in a workout should I be eating that amount in addition? As I am at the moment not losing any weight????

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Yes, but are you weighing your intake? Without the accuracy of weighing everything you eat, you will be off by up to about 20% in volume in your logs.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes because you've set yourself to 2lbs per week your calorie allowance is already including a 1000 calorie deficit from your approximate daily calorie burn. If you do not eat those 500 calories that would put you in a much larger 1500 calorie deficit which is above the maximum recommended amount and with your triathlon training you'd probably be under-fueling and burnout. To be honest even the deficit you're currently in is a bit much with the amount of Cardio you'll be doing.

What are your stats? Height/Weight/Age

How long has your weight been at a stand-still?

and

How accurately are you logging your food intake?

rn9on8epo1wa.jpg

• Tinkerbellang83- 44yrs old, 5'10 and 15st 4lbs. Weight has been stuck since about May this year. I have taken several years off from TRI's and I weigh about 18kgs too much. I logged all my food, apart from the odd veg/fruit. I do enjoy cheat days (not over indulging), but maybe your right and I need to increase my food/energy in take to give it more burn. Thank you.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Tinkerbellang83- 44yrs old, 5'10 and 15st 4lbs. Weight has been stuck since about May this year. I have taken several years off from TRI's and I weigh about 18kgs too much. I logged all my food, apart from the odd veg/fruit. I do enjoy cheat days (not over indulging), but maybe your right and I need to increase my food/energy in take to give it more burn. Thank you.

Was it May when you started your Tri training again?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Tinkerbellang83- 44yrs old, 5'10 and 15st 4lbs. Weight has been stuck since about May this year. I have taken several years off from TRI's and I weigh about 18kgs too much. I logged all my food, apart from the odd veg/fruit. I do enjoy cheat days (not over indulging), but maybe your right and I need to increase my food/energy in take to give it more burn. Thank you.

Yes, but do you weigh it all before logging it?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    with a goal of 18kg to lose - your goal should be only 1lb a week; and with the way MFP works you should eat back your calories

alternately, you could use a TDEE calculator that factors in your workout (which i find much better if you have a set workout schedule like most triathlon plans)

thatbeing said 2000 to me seems too low (i'm female, 5'3", 160lbs and training for an upcoming Ironman triathlon) - and during training you don't want to cut calories too low because it will inhibit recovery and performance improvement
  • Thank you, is it fair to say then I should change the goal to 1lb per week and ensure that I eat the additional amount of calories that I burn when I exercise?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Thank you, is it fair to say then I should change the goal to 1lb per week and ensure that I eat the additional amount of calories that I burn when I exercise?

Yes, also buy a digital food scale and start weighing your food, all of it. This will give you better data to make adjustments, right now you have no way of knowing how many calories you are eating.

Cheers, h.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Thank you, is it fair to say then I should change the goal to 1lb per week and ensure that I eat the additional amount of calories that I burn when I exercise?

Yes. But if you haven’t lost weight since May, you’re eating at maintenance and eating more calories will lead to weight gain.

The most likely reason for this is inconsistent and/or inaccurate food logging. Meaning-you’re not logging your cheat days at all, you’re looking at a lump of chicken and logging it as 100g (when it might be 50g or 500g) or using database entries that say 1 cup of peanuts is 50 calories, or not logging fruits/vegetable because they are “healthy” (although I eat several hundred calories worth of these a day) or a combination of the above.

So an appropriate calorie goal is 1 pound a week and you should be logging your exercise and eating those calories. Since whatever you’re eating now is maintenance, you’ll want to take steps to make sure you’re logging absolutely everything you eat (cheat days included), and weighing your food so you can log it accurately, and making sure the database entries you choose are accurate.

If you just raise your calorie goal and start eating your exercise calories now-without changing your logging-you’re going to gain.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    How long have you been training? How active were you before you began training? How often do you eat without a calorie goal? Do you log it? If not, and you want to make progress you may need to change that habit. Instead of having a free day perhaps eat 2350 calories each day and plan to eat 3400 one day a week. That is your new goal of 2500 less 150 for 6 days to bank 900 calories then added back to 2500 on the 7th day. All of it should be carefully logged.
  • NovisDies- On and off since Jan 19, but consistently since April. Not very active (Lazy for about 18mths). I have had a calorie goal since April 19 and I logged everyday/ every meal. As I am not very active during the day, MFP has calculated my calories to be 1830, which to be honest isn't a lot, but now I will factor in additional food to compensate for the energy burned training. Thank you all for the advice.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you make your diary public people can help you spot logging issues.
    As it stands your numbers don't add up, you should be losing fairly rapidly.

Yes your calorie goal on here is plus exercise calories but you need to work from good data and at the moment I'm not seeing good data.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member

no - just log your exercise, and MFP will give you more calories.