Apple cider vinegar

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    Do you think fly bodies dilute vinegar?

I only ask because I think my trap is more fly than vinegar and I'm worried it's not drawing them in like it used to.

But I'm too disgusted to empty it. :(

Fruit flies are the worst.

I've used ACV, red wine, wine vinegar and whatever else I can think of and still can't get rig of the buggers. Prime fruit season here so not much can be done about it. I've even put up fly strips in the past (and got them caught in my hair).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If you have space in your freezer store your fruit peels there (especially banana) and take them out on trash day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Can’t resist! Off to google Bragg’s...secure in the knowledge we don’t have that make in the UK! 😂

We do actually. Holland & Barrett, Boots and a bunch of pharmacists sell it.

Ahh, never noticed it then! I think I’ve only ever had Aspalls or a supermarket own brand in the house. I’ve just googled it to see what the bottle looks like and I’d have passed over it because it calls itself ‘apple cider vinegar’ and I’m enough of a pedant to dislike seeing that! If it’s CIDER vinegar what else am I going to think it’s made from! 🙄

I do realise that it’s just what Americans call any cider product, but I did say I’m being pedantic 😂

You can get pear cider here in Australia - not in any vinegar form, just the drink.

actually a few other fancy flavours too - but I think they are probably apple base with over laid flavours (watermelon, strawberry, blackberry)

Google Somersby or Rekorderlig

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Can’t resist! Off to google Bragg’s...secure in the knowledge we don’t have that make in the UK! 😂

Ahh, never noticed it then! I think I’ve only ever had Aspalls or a supermarket own brand in the house. I’ve just googled it to see what the bottle looks like and I’d have passed over it because it calls itself ‘apple cider vinegar’ and I’m enough of a pedant to dislike seeing that! If it’s CIDER vinegar what else am I going to think it’s made from! 🙄

I do realise that it’s just what Americans call any cider product, but I did say I’m being pedantic 😂

You can get pear cider here in Australia - not in any vinegar form, just the drink.

actually a few other fancy flavours too - but I think they are probably apple base with over laid flavours (watermelon, strawberry, blackberry)

Pear ‘cider’ is properly called Perry. And yes, we have a multitude of flavoured ‘ciders’ in the UK too. Kopparberg, Rekorderlig and many others, but I think you’re probably right they’re genuinely flavoured ciders, as in apple based with stuff added.
    The point I was making, pedantic as it is, is that cider is, by definition, an alcoholic drink made with apples. Therefore Apple Cider is tautology. 😂
  • paperpudding
    Ok, thats interesting.

Never heard of perry, just called pear cider here - and I imagine it IS pear cider or perry as oppossed to strawberry and the like which are probably apple overlaid with a stronger flavour.

Had to look up what a tautology is - but now that I know, I can think of a few common ones - PIN number, HIV virus.

Pedants could have a field day here B):*:)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    I’ve got to try apple cider vinegar as everyone keeps talking about it. I use balsamic vinegar for dressings and that’s yummy - does ACV actually taste fruity? Does it mix okay with olive oil?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

Pear ‘cider’ is properly called Perry. And yes, we have a multitude of flavoured ‘ciders’ in the UK too. Kopparberg, Rekorderlig and many others, but I think you’re probably right they’re genuinely flavoured ciders, as in apple based with stuff added.
    The point I was making, pedantic as it is, is that cider is, by definition, an alcoholic drink made with apples. Therefore Apple Cider is tautology. 😂

Not if you speak USA-ian, at least in my regional dialect. "Cider" (no other qualifier) in USA-ian is a non-alcoholic drink made in a particular way from apples. It's not the same as apple juice, and may be called "apple cider", but the "apple" part is optional. If alcoholic, it's "hard cider".
  • AnnPT77
    I’ve got to try apple cider vinegar as everyone keeps talking about it. I use balsamic vinegar for dressings and that’s yummy - does ACV actually taste fruity? Does it mix okay with olive oil?

ACV has a different flavor, somewhat apple-y, but I'm not sure it's what I'd usually call "fruity" (I know that sounds silly ;) ). Yes, it's good with olive oil.

For salad use, get a decent brand (this is not code for "Bragg's"), as it will typically have a better, more complex flavor than the commodity generic cheap type that you can get in giant jugs for pickling and such, and it still needn't be expensive.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

Not that I've noticed. To me, the taste on its own is strongly reminiscent of bile. Which rhymes with vile. :D
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Not that I've noticed. To me, the taste on its own is strongly reminiscent of bile. Which rhymes with vile. :D

HEY! That is my favorite condiment you are disparaging!! I go through a lot of ACV. None of it Bragg though... never Bragg.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member

I’m guessing you don’t like it then! 🤣 I love mixing balsamic and a good olive oil together then dipping sourdough bread in... yum. I’ll have to get some ACV and see how it tastes!
  • AnnPT77

I’m guessing you don’t like it then! 🤣 I love mixing balsamic and a good olive oil together then dipping sourdough bread in... yum. I’ll have to get some ACV and see how it tastes!

While I like it quite a lot, I'm not sure it'd be ideal in a bread dip. Salad dressing (including fruit salad) is good, small amounts in a proper cocktail, add a little zing to stir-fried veggies or to grains, that sort of thing. People say it's great on meats, especially pork, but we vegetarians can't personally testify.

Maybe think of it as an alternative to lemon juice, in contexts where the vinegar-y aspect would be good.

Balsamic is usually more smoothed-out, less perceptibly tart, a little richer. ACV is brighter-flavored, more tart.

Just my opinion, obviously.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Ok, thats interesting.

Never heard of perry, just called pear cider here - and I imagine it IS pear cider or perry as oppossed to strawberry and the like which are probably apple overlaid with a stronger flavour.

Had to look up what a tautology is - but now that I know, I can think of a few common ones - PIN number, HIV virus.

That's more of a redundancy. A tautology would be more like, "People who just naturally wake up at dawn are early-risers."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

ACV has a different flavor, somewhat apple-y, but I'm not sure it's what I'd usually call "fruity" (I know that sounds silly ;) ). Yes, it's good with olive oil.

For salad use, get a decent brand (this is not code for "Bragg's"), as it will typically have a better, more complex flavor than the commodity generic cheap type that you can get in giant jugs for pickling and such, and it still needn't be expensive.

As far as I'm concerned, the giant jugs are only good for cleaning ;)

Walmart has good prices for "higher shelf" brands such as Bragg's, and at least one other.
  • paperpudding
    Ok, thats interesting.

That's more of a redundancy. A tautology would be more like, "People who just naturally wake up at dawn are early-risers."

How is apple cider a tautology (as PP claimed, starting this tangent) but PIN number isnt?

Isnt the 'apple' redundant and the 'number' redundant?

k05124.gif

(waits for mods warning about taking thread offtopic :* )

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Ok, thats interesting.

How is apple cider a tautology (as PP claimed, starting this tangent) but PIN number isnt?

Isnt the 'apple' redundant and the 'number' redundant?

k05124.gif

(waits for mods warning about taking thread offtopic :* )

I wasn't drawing a contrast between PIN and apple cider. Both are redundancies (assuming one's definition of cider is limited to something made from apples). I don't see how a two-word phrase can be a tautology. A tautology has to at least be a sentence. It's an assertion or a statement, or even an argument, that doesn't really say anything. It sort of boils down to 1= 1. :smile:
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    ”Apart from grammar and syntax, tautology is also concerned with logical (or illogical) formulations where things are said unnecessarily, because they could not be any other way, and they're far more common in both creative writing and journalism than one might think:

Before she died, my grandmother used to walk to the shops every day.
    When the plane came to a stop, we disembarked.
    It's raining outside.
    The accident happened at 2:00 am this morning.
    Annual Fees are to be paid in four quarterly instalments.”

Apple cider.

“cider
    Etymology :From Middle English sider, cidre, sidre, from Old French cisdre, sidre (“beverage made from fermented apples”)

😉

Either way, it doesn’t matter, I did say at the start that it was a personal preference, due to my Englishness, that ‘apple cider’ just grated on me so I’d not buy a product labelled that way. Harmless foible of mine, or so I thought...didn’t mean to spark an argument!
  • paperpudding
    Oh I wouldn't call it an argument - more an interesting discussion.
    Or friendly nonsense.
    Or pleasant time wasting
    Or something.

But not an argument - that sounds too negative.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Apparently there are different kinds of tautology. One is grammatical, such as apple cider or PIN number or the La Brea Tar Pits). That's often called a redundancy instead, but I think they are the same.

Rhetorical would be similar, but used more when it's an intentional repetition with rhetorical purpose (whether it works or not). A couple of examples from wiki:

With malice toward none, with charity for all," from Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural address

"With my mind on my money and my money on my mind," from the Snoop Dogg song "Gin and Juice"

I think something like "boys will be boys" too. Or "it is what it is."

A logical tautology is what I think Lynn is talking about (and what I tend to think of most commonly as "tautology" too). It's a proposition that is true given any possible variables. So like 1=1. (Or to make it MFP relevant, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.)

I also found this interesting.
  • I love the way it taste with Agave Sweetner. I’ve been drinking it in the AM and before night along with working out everyday. No major results I can report to verify weight loss due to ACV. The jury is still out for me.