Can I undo my binge?

Hi, I was doing so well, but in the last 2 days I have seriously overate. I received a gift of some sweet treats, biscuits chocolate etc. So I tried a couple the couple changed into a few, then into lots. Eventually thought just eat it all, so I did over 2 days. Lots and lots of them. In my mind thinking just eat and get them done with. Weighed myself and over 2 days I have gained 5lbs. So disappointed with myself. I was only 1/2lb off getting to a 2 1/2 stone loss. Is there any way I could lose the gain in the rest of this week? Any tips please xx

Replies

• SugaSugaNooo
    SugaSugaNooo Posts: 106 Member
    You'll be okay Mandy, don't worry. Most important is that you pick yourself up and get back to your plan.
    You know what, a lot of us fall of the wagon. Multiple times. As long as you don't give up and get back on, you'll be fine.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Log it all as best you can.

See how much over maintenance you actually went.

If you went 3500 over you gained a pound.

More than likely you didn’t eat that much and you are just retaining some water and you have a hellofalotof sweets still working their way through your digestive system. They will exit in the usual manner.

Give it a few days and you should drop the extra lbs and life will return to normal.

Don’t panic.

Cheers, h.

This ^

The 5 pounds is mostly water weight from eating more carbs than usual. For 5 pounds of fat gain you'd have to eat around 17,500 calories above maintenance - as @middlehaitch said, that would be some binge and it's very unlikely that's what you ate, even if you didn't log it.

It will come off itself in time, just go back to your normal deficit.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    All you can do is move forward...sticking to your plan and getting right back on when you go off is key to making your goals. I don't think anyone stays faithfully to their eating plan 100 percent of the time.

Also, learn from your behavior.. Don't keep a gift basket of cookies in your home when you know you'll eat them all. Come up with strategies for your trigger foods like eating a few and giving the rest away..or even throw it away. My husband and split things like that into baggies and freeze them to eat on a cheat meal night.
    Overall I never keep any kind of trigger food in my home unless I buy one portion of it..because I know I won't stop at just one. My trigger food is olives! ha.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Forgive yourself and meditate on loving yourself and having compassion for yourself. I've found that by engaging in self reflection and Identifying all the ways I have negatively motivated myself in the past and replacing that with positive reinforcement and love; that I am much more successful in everything I do.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    This is how we learn to live, trying to overcome poor eating choices. Sometimes it takes real effort to stay on track, but enjoy life along the way. It is okay to have a treat occasionally, just get back on track as soon as possible. I struggle with portion control too.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    As others have said, most of your gain is temporary water weight. I would just go back to doing things how you did before. Don't worry about doing anything to "correct" it. That's how you get into binge/restrict cycles, which aren't healthy. Better to just go back to your normal diet and give this water weight time to work out of your system normally.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi, I was doing so well, but in the last 2 days I have seriously overate. I received a gift of some sweet treats, biscuits chocolate etc. So I tried a couple the couple changed into a few, then into lots. Eventually thought just eat it all, so I did over 2 days. Lots and lots of them. In my mind thinking just eat and get them done with. Weighed myself and over 2 days I have gained 5lbs. So disappointed with myself. I was only 1/2lb off getting to a 2 1/2 stone loss. Is there any way I could lose the gain in the rest of this week? Any tips please xx

You could eat a couple hundred calories less every day the rest of the week and take some of it off.. probably not enough calories to undo a 5 pound gain, but any amount going down is always good.
    Like the others said though, some is likely water.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    smantha32 wrote: »

You could eat a couple hundred calories less every day the rest of the week and take some of it off.. probably not enough calories to undo a 5 pound gain, but any amount going down is always good.
    Like the others said though, some is likely water.

For some this approach can work, but there is a good chance that it can lead to a binge restrict cycle if someone has a tendency to binge and is trying to have some control over it.

Very few can overeat enough in a day to actually gain weight in a week where most days are in their deficit. The most that will happen is their weight loss will be set back by a small percentage of a pound, or it will take a few hours longer to reach their goal weight.

The best way to handle it for most is to accept, log, analyze, and move on.
    Life happens, next time a gift of the sweet things in life drops in @mandy220750’s lap she can look back at her reactions this time and plan on a feast day by conciously cutting her cals by 100 for a few days in advance, or setting an extra treat aside for a few days, or fitting a small treat into her cals.

Learning from her experience is probably better moving forward that punishing herself by restricting food after the fact.

Cheers, h.

@samantha32, that wasn’t so much aimed at your comment, more your comment started a train of thought.

In someone who doesn’t binge pay back after the fact is possible, but most times not worth it.