Keeping core engaged

So I hear this a lot during exercises, especially compound movements to keep my core engaged. Two different trainers I had worked with had taught me to do this by teaching me the pelvic tilt, where I lie down on the floor and kind of gently draw my belly button upwards by exhaling, using my lower abdominal muscles, which tucks the pelvis in slightly. They also may have suggested this since I have anterior pelvic tilt.
Then I read another post which said that engaging your core is like taking a dump, (sorry, TMI), so you inhale air into your stomach and kind of push it out.
The two methods seem opposing to me, and I am left clamoring for the right technique when I go through my strength training moves. Any pointers?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I "engage my core" by tightening my ab muscles which exert outward pressure on a lifting belt, if I am wearing one as I do when doing DLs/SQTs, and stabilizes my lower back

So, at least for me, it's closer to the "taking a dump" method but not the pelivic tilt or the Valsalva "ear clearing" methods also mentioned above.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I "engage my core" by tightening my ab muscles which exert outward pressure on a lifting belt, if I am wearing one as I do when doing DLs/SQTs, and stabilizes my lower back

So, at least for me, it's closer to the "taking a dump" method but not the pelivic tilt or the Valsalva "ear clearing" methods also mentioned above.

This is the valsalva technique, btw. You are describing the valsalva technique.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-breathe-when-lifting-weights/
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited August 2019
    sgt1372 wrote: »

This is the valsalva technique, btw. You are describing the valsalva technique.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-breathe-when-lifting-weights/

Fine but the descriptions that I've read about the valsalva technique, including the link posted previously, describe it as a pressurized "ear clearing" procedure, which is NOT what I do.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Different people seem to describe it differently. I guess you know when you're doing it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I think there are also just different ways of engaging one's core (among other muscle groups). I've done/do it in various contexts - rock climbing, rowing, swimming, and pilates all come to mind. I've never done anything that could be described as the valsalva technique/maneuver.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Ever had to push your broken down POS car out of a busy intersection? That's what it feels like to engage your "core"...
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    edited August 2019
    I imagine someone is going to punch me in the gut, and I’m tensing to absorb the blow. If that makes sense. It’s like a clenching if he stomach/gut/core