Frustrated by the Gym

Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
The new gym I joined, it turns out, is moving locations at the end of the month. And nobody told us before we signed all the paperwork.

I'm upset and feeling tricked now. I thought they were decent but now I'm frustrated that this is just another gym where they mess with you to get your money.

But I also don't want to just give up already. The new location is Inconvenient but not the end of the world. It just means I have to go home first, I can't go straight from work. Which worries me since my will power is lacking and I could see just going home and sitting on the couch and that's it.

Ugh, I just hate feeling lied to. I wouldn't have even known if a friend hadn't heard about it. It would have come outta nowhere.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    That's not cool. Did you talk to the gym owners? I imagine you're not the only one upset about this.

Also, why do you have to stop home first?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    That's not cool. Did you talk to the gym owners? I imagine you're not the only one upset about this.

Also, why do you have to stop home first?

Yeah, I'd have a polite conversation with the owners to see if there's a way to get out of it agreement due to moving, since it's them moving, not you. I'd just tell them the new location would prevent you from being able to attend at all.

If not, is there a reason you have to go home first with the new location? Is it bus routes or something?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    I'm sorry that your Gym relocated :(

The new location is Inconvenient but not the end of the world. It just means I have to go home first, I can't go straight from work. Which worries me since my will power is lacking and I could see just going home and sitting on the couch and that's it.

I understand this fear very well. If possible, could you maybe leave your Gym clothes on the couch, as a heavy visual for when you return home? Or anything else that creates a barrier to the couch. (my brain just flashed to crime scene tape, LOL)

Hope you get things figured out!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    That's why I go with university or city gyms. They seem less likely to move or close without notice.

I got burned by a private one a number of years ago. Paid for a year ... and they closed a couple months later. No refund.

If I were you I'd keep going to yours as often as possible because you paid. Get your money's worth. Then look around for a more stable place.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Can't you still go straight to the gym after work, even if you literally drive right by your house to get there?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Can't you still go straight to the gym after work, even if you literally drive right by your house to get there?

My question, too.

I change into my gym clothes at work, and go straight to the gym. If I go home, I won't leave again.
  • Terytha

I have to go get my husband. The current location is right beside a train station, the new one is isolated. So if I don't head home and get him, his membership will go to waste.

Currently we're thinking I'll just wait outside for him and not even go in. But that means more driving for me. Fine now, but what about in January when there's 15 feet of snow and ice. Plus gas is expensive.

They're moving to a bigger place. And there's nothing else nearby. I'm not gonna straight quit, but I'm not impressed.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Terytha wrote: »

I have to go get my husband. The current location is right beside a train station, the new one is isolated. So if I don't head home and get him, his membership will go to waste.

Currently we're thinking I'll just wait outside for him and not even go in. But that means more driving for me. Fine now, but what about in January when there's 15 feet of snow and ice. Plus gas is expensive.

They're moving to a bigger place. And there's nothing else nearby. I'm not gonna straight quit, but I'm not impressed.

I don't blame you for not being impressed. That's straight up annoying! Hopefully you can make it work.

I would definitely advise waiting in the car. Once I get home at night, not much short of the house catching fire is getting me out again.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Is there any way your husband can get to the gym and you meet him there? Any public transportation?

I dislike driving in the snow and ice, too, so I understand your disappointment.
  • Terytha
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Is there any way your husband can get to the gym and you meet him there? Any public transportation?

I dislike driving in the snow and ice, too, so I understand your disappointment.

No. There's none. That's why I have to go home. Best I could do is meet him at the mall, but then i might as well just go home.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

That sounds really frustrating! Is there another gym more convenient for you two? If so, I would say you have grounds to demand the current gym cancel your contract and then you could sign up at a different gym.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

could you not walk inside...get home, honk the horn for him and have him come out - thereby avoiding the lure of the couch
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    No advice, just don’t do what I would likely do- be so mad I’d cut off my nose to spite my face and refuse to go to the gym compromising my fitness level.

Ok, after a bit of thought, this would probably be my alternate-

I know you have just started there and are working with a trainer but, is there any chance you could cancel your membership and invest in home gym equipment and get a trainer that comes to you two?

Cheers, h.
  • Terytha
    No advice, just don’t do what I would likely do- be so mad I’d cut off my nose to spite my face and refuse to go to the gym compromising my fitness level.

I know you have just started there and are working with a trainer but, is there any chance you could cancel your membership and invest in home gym equipment and get a trainer that comes to you two?

Cheers, h.

Our house is super, crazy tiny. I tried an at home workout thing once and literally kept hitting walls. And I was using the basement which is no longer usable due to the ceiling caving in.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member

Cheers, h.

Our house is super, crazy tiny. I tried an at home workout thing once and literally kept hitting walls. And I was using the basement which is no longer usable due to the ceiling caving in.

I thought that may be the case. I’m just so disappointed for you as your ‘gone to the gym’ post was so positive (despite the DOMS).

Cheers, h.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Well, it’s not ideal, but if there’s no better option close by, you would have had to go to this gym anyway, right? I don’t blame you for being upset, but once you’ve got it out of your system, try to move forward and find ways to fit the new situation into your life.