Less Alcohol - AUGUST 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    @MissMay Thanks so much...…..that means a lot!

Big hugs Teri. We don't care if you can not get in the swing right now. We still love hearing from you no matter if you stick to goals or not. 💜[/quote]

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    https://m.riverfronttimes.com/foodblog/2019/08/12/sans-bar-stl-is-bringing-an-alcohol-free-nightlight-option-to-st-louis

I know a few have talked about AF social events. Looks like this is a growing trend.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.
    I was pleased with my 20 AF days for July.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 09 - 1 beer, 1 wine at the festival
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.
    August 13 - AF - Tuesday, my sort of planned day to have a few drinks, but seeing as I had drinks 4 days in a row on my holiday I needed to rack up another AF day. In fact I will need to be AF tomorrow too if I want to see 4AF days per week at this juncture.

7AF days out of 13 days so far.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    https://m.riverfronttimes.com/foodblog/2019/08/12/sans-bar-stl-is-bringing-an-alcohol-free-nightlight-option-to-st-louis

I know a few have talked about AF social events. Looks like this is a growing trend.

LOVE IT! Thanks @WinoGelato . Very good read.
  • MissMay
    My first day didn’t go that well. I had a stressful day at work and instead of meditating or excercing, I had a brown ale while discussing my day with hubs. But, I did consider a second and stopped myself. I had a seltzer water instead. Baby steps?

In my eyes you did well. You took the step to cut back, and quit at ONE. Good job!
  • yotetrapper
    yotetrapper Posts: 37 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    My first day didn’t go that well. I had a stressful day at work and instead of meditating or excercing, I had a brown ale while discussing my day with hubs. But, I did consider a second and stopped myself. I had a seltzer water instead. Baby steps?

In my eyes you did well. You took the step to cut back, and quit at ONE. Good job!

That's what I'm saying. My life would be so much better if I could have just ONE drink, lol. You did well!
  • MissMay
    ru1nzhw6ro87.jpg

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    ru1nzhw6ro87.jpg

Love that quote so true.
  • yotetrapper
    I really struggled not to stop and buy a bottle on the way home from work. But, I have to get up at 4am for work tomorrow so that kind of deterred me, which was nice, as it used to would not deter me at all, lol. I told myself it would make more sense to wait until tomorrow, since the next day I don't have to get up until 6am. Now we'll see if tomorrow I can talk myself out of collecting what I promised myself today LOL
  • MissMay
    edited August 2019
    I really struggled not to stop and buy a bottle on the way home from work. But, I have to get up at 4am for work tomorrow so that kind of deterred me, which was nice, as it used to would not deter me at all, lol. I told myself it would make more sense to wait until tomorrow, since the next day I don't have to get up until 6am. Now we'll see if tomorrow I can talk myself out of collecting what I promised myself today LOL

That was a great save @yotetrapper. Every little "good reason" we give ourselves not to drink more than we want is a winner. Most of the time nothing happens over night the way we wish it would.

Stay strong.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.
    I was pleased with my 20 AF days for July.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 09 - 1 beer, 1 wine at the festival
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.
    August 13 - AF - Tuesday, my sort of planned day to have a few drinks, but seeing as I had drinks 4 days in a row on my holiday I needed to rack up another AF day. In fact I will need to be AF tomorrow too if I want to see 4AF days per week at this juncture.
    August 14 - AF - Just squeaked to my 4AF days per week. Of course 5 would have been better, but the 4 days in a row of drinks put me behind. I don't think that I have had 4 days in a row of drinks since October. Playing catch up now.

8AF days out of 14 days so far.
  • yotetrapper
    Just a random thought. Have any of you noticed the role music plays in your struggle to drink less? I listen to all kinds of music, but old time country is my favorite. I have a mixed cd in my truck that I listen to quite often. But I've began to notice a correlation between listening to those songs, and drinking. I get off work, start up the truck and that CD starts playing and the next thing I know I'm pulling into a liquor store. These past couple weeks I've taken to driving to and from work in silence.

I think sometimes all it takes to slip up is to hear a sad song at the wrong moment. Or maybe not even a sad song. Maybe Sweet Home Alabama or Freebird comes on and it reminds you of the jukebox at your favorite bar and off you go.

If you've noticed this, or even if you haven't but realize that yes, the music is usually on in the car when you decide to drink, maybe try turning it off or listening to a different genre of music and see if that makes a difference.

Just some early morning thoughts....
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    Just a random thought. Have any of you noticed the role music plays in your struggle to drink less? I listen to all kinds of music, but old time country is my favorite. I have a mixed cd in my truck that I listen to quite often. But I've began to notice a correlation between listening to those songs, and drinking. I get off work, start up the truck and that CD starts playing and the next thing I know I'm pulling into a liquor store. These past couple weeks I've taken to driving to and from work in silence.

I think sometimes all it takes to slip up is to hear a sad song at the wrong moment. Or maybe not even a sad song. Maybe Sweet Home Alabama or Freebird comes on and it reminds you of the jukebox at your favorite bar and off you go.

If you've noticed this, or even if you haven't but realize that yes, the music is usually on in the car when you decide to drink, maybe try turning it off or listening to a different genre of music and see if that makes a difference.

Just some early morning thoughts....

Interesting.
  • MissMay
    @dawnbgethealthy said "I don't think that I have had 4 days in a row of drinks since October."

WOW that is a 10 month gap! 👏
  • MissMay
    Those are deep early morning thoughts @yotetrapper. I hope that does not discourage you from listeningt to your tunes. Gotta love sweet home and freebird though......saw Ted Nugent last week in concert. That man rocks the stage and gets everyone fired up beyond belief. Here is the kicker...he does not drink. True story.