August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    @ROBOTFOOD I lived in Vegas for a while, back in the 90s. I could not imagine running there in July/August during the day, and probably would be out there at midnight with you if I still did! I was a fat desk jockey when I lived there so running was not much of thought. :)
    Ya man summer runs down in the valley aren’t very fun until Oct. The night runs are great though. Just have to be on extreme rattlesnake alert.

@Teresa502 Thanks!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @polskagirl01 great picture! I love Nigara Falls
    @RunsOnEspresso glad you can start back running
    @Faebert welcome and great job in the half marathon!
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    cyoka13 wrote: »
    Guys! I just ran 2.25 continuous miles without stopping! My best continuous run was 1.25 miles and that was two days ago :)

August Goal: 37-40 miles
    Total Miles Completed:

My August Runs/Walks
    8/2: 3.09 miles
    8/5: 3.27 miles
    8/10: 3.25 miles total (1.25 mile of continuous run and walk/run alternating for 2 miles)
    8/12: 3.25 miles total (2.25 miles of continuous run and 1 mile walk)

Congratulations! That must feel terrific!

Missed this post the first time, but way cool! Well done!

Thanks to you both! It is exciting and feels good to do it :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I've been out of the thread for a while. I asked this in the FB group but figured I'd throw it out here too.

So I'm going to start running this weekend. Doc said to come back slow so I was thinking of doing something like couch to 5k. The last time I did this was before apps (I had to print out the plan!). Should I get a free app or use some kind of plan from the apps I already have (nike, strava and garmin)? Or just go by feel?
    I downloaded the NHS podcasts when I started c25k in February. I am currently working on the B210k podcasts

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Does GF stand for gluten free or General Mills? Oh, and are you willing to share the recipe?

Gluten-Free. I can not have wheat, so I eat gluten-free. :) It is actually a ridiculously easy recipe that I found on the Pillsbury site. It really is very good despite that. I leave the salt out completely (why they add it I dunno) and use more vanilla then they call for, use special dark cocoa instead of regular, maybe some other random things, but largely follow it. Sorta :smiley:

Here:
    https://www.pillsburybaking.com/recipes/gluten-free-chocolate-frosted-devils-food-cake-7691

It is odd, cause when you make the "batter" it has the consistency of WATER. Nothing like a regular cake. I thought it really messed up the first time I made it, but it came out great and no one can tell it is GF unless you tell them.

Several months ago (or more) you posted a photo of a chocolate cake that looked super yummy. Was that this recipe??
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Does GF stand for gluten free or General Mills? Oh, and are you willing to share the recipe?

Gluten-Free. I can not have wheat, so I eat gluten-free. :) It is actually a ridiculously easy recipe that I found on the Pillsbury site. It really is very good despite that. I leave the salt out completely (why they add it I dunno) and use more vanilla then they call for, use special dark cocoa instead of regular, maybe some other random things, but largely follow it. Sorta :smiley:

Here:
    https://www.pillsburybaking.com/recipes/gluten-free-chocolate-frosted-devils-food-cake-7691

It is odd, cause when you make the "batter" it has the consistency of WATER. Nothing like a regular cake. I thought it really messed up the first time I made it, but it came out great and no one can tell it is GF unless you tell them.

Several months ago (or more) you posted a photo of a chocolate cake that looked super yummy. Was that this recipe??

Yes. What you missed is my son just turned 16 so I made the cake and the group here wanted to see the picture, so I shared it, and this time they asked for the recipe, so shared that too :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @PastorVincent I'm bookmarking that recipe!

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I think I'm going to do a hal higdon novice 5k plan until I get back to "normal". Still hoping I'll be able to get back and start marathon training. I'm doing one in January no matter what.

I have some changes I am planning to try with it, but I decided not to that for his party. Will just randomly make it again at some point and see what else I can muck with. :)
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    @Faebert Well done on the HM!

@rheddmobile Happy anniversary!

I was intending to go back to the gym on Monday morning but work was still busy. I did go back to Zumba on Tuesday and was back at the gym today so should be back to my usual routine soon!

01 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)
    03 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    11 Aug - 6.2 miles (outside)
    15 Aug - 1.8 miles (treadmill)

16 miles/50 miles