For the love of Produce...

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    wqmeiac9q42k.jpeg

I was on an Apple ban for a while. Too out of season, no good.
    Then, the honey crisps called. Sparkling at me from the shelf.
    Bought a few.
    Super thin sliced. Tonight, first one.
    Took a bite- nervous that it was gonna suck.
    It didn’t suck!
  • purplefizzy
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    wqmeiac9q42k.jpeg

I was on an Apple ban for a while. Too out of season, no good.
    Then, the honey crisps called. Sparkling at me from the shelf.
    Bought a few.
    Super thin sliced. Tonight, first one.
    Took a bite- nervous that it was gonna suck.
    It didn’t suck!

Where is the cinnamon / PB2 drizzle on these?????

Cinnamon I’m working on liking. Usually it just tastes dusty to my pallet, probably because I always bought the dead cheap stuff. I’ve always been hardcore into fresh grated nutmeg where most folks use cinnamon. I did get a few decent cinnamons to keep trying. I remain open.

PB2 can be dangerous for me. I actually but the straight defatted double roasted peanut flour, and add a bit of salt myself - I have a thing about sweetened nuts. Hate them. I LOVE the natural sweetness of raw nuts. But those, like the peanut flour- I’ll totally eat them when I’m not hungry, just because I want the ‘mouth party.’ I’ll eat peanut powder with a spoon, dry. No kidding. So I usually sort of avoid it unless it’s critical in something, like the sweet potato peanut stew I was obsessed with last year.

• can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    You guys are killing me :) where the heck do you all live? I have never heard of:
    Kabocha, celerac, jackfruit, mulukhiyah, dragon fruit, Ottolenghi. Are you sure you aren't making some of this up?
    Where i live there are the basics: carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, greens, asparagus, squash, green beans, snow peas, brussel sprouts, cucumber, bell pepper, spinach, mushroom, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli.
    I like any veg, maybe with exception of turnips, but maybe I just haven't discovered a good way of cooking it! Rock on you good cooks!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    Speaking of Ottolenghi, I made the easiest recipe I've ever seen from him. The mango ice cream that involves blitzing a tin of mangoes, a tin of coconut cream and juice of a lime or two together in the food processor and bunging the whole thing in the freezer.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/06/yotam-ottolenghi-summer-al-fresco-feast-recipes-pork-vindaloo-slaw-mango-ice-cream
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    can111 wrote: »
    You guys are killing me :) where the heck do you all live? I have never heard of:
    Kabocha, celerac, jackfruit, mulukhiyah, dragon fruit, Ottolenghi. Are you sure you aren't making some of this up?
    Where i live there are the basics: carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, greens, asparagus, squash, green beans, snow peas, brussel sprouts, cucumber, bell pepper, spinach, mushroom, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli.
    I like any veg, maybe with exception of turnips, but maybe I just haven't discovered a good way of cooking it! Rock on you good cooks!

I found kabocha, dragon fruit, and jack fruit at an Asian market. I bought kabocha because Purple fizzy posts it, I love winter squash and have to try it! I've never heard of mulukhiya, what is it?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Speaking of Ottolenghi, I made the easiest recipe I've ever seen from him. The mango ice cream that involves blitzing a tin of mangoes, a tin of coconut cream and juice of a lime or two together in the food processor and bunging the whole thing in the freezer.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/06/yotam-ottolenghi-summer-al-fresco-feast-recipes-pork-vindaloo-slaw-mango-ice-cream

We make our own mango ice cream. Very easy, just frozen mango and almond milk as needed, depending on the amount of mango used. It goes into Vitamix and buzz it for a little on medium high until smooth. It comes out like a soft serve, could be frozen, but then it would need to be left out or sit in the fridge for a bit to soften so it's scoopable. So this is vegan version, sometimes we add some fresh mint to it for a minty twist. Adding half a banana makes it even creamier. If you want, any milk could be used, or cream. Depending on how many calories you have left for dessert, lol.
  • acpgee
    There were cheap cherries at the green groceers. Unfortunately they were sold out of globe artichokes. Love the summer for produce goodies.
    qvzk36qaxpol.jpg

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,971 Member
    Today's fruit: The aprium, an apricot/plum cross analogous to the pluot, but favoring the apricot line somewhat more. Skin is velvety, flavor a bit more tart than an apricot. Also bought some fresh brown figs. Got a good haul at the farmers market earlier in the week, but more pedestrian choices: Eggplant, lemon cucumbers, green bell pepper, a beautifully rich and ripe canteloupe (we mostly call them muskmelon here), lacinato kale, and mixed small vari-colored heirloom cherry/plum/pear tomatoes.

925chv726cbd.jpg
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    lg013 wrote: »

Too much butter in it has always made me feel sick. You just have to whisk it constantly when heating up to avoid a scrambled egg effect. It will thicken up a bit more, but if it’s too think simply add a tiny (less than teaspoon) of water in and mix...keep adding water to get it to the consistency you want.

I used the technique of @Ig013 to made hollandaise in a ceramic bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on the stove and it was pretty easy. Less cleanup than the the blender method. I melted the butter in the microwave and used 45 g butter with the juice from three quarters of a lemon (that's what I had lying around), a splash of white wine and a shot of green tabasco and whisked in one egg yolk. It was a little bit too acidic for my taste so next time will use less lemon. Will also make it in a bigger bowl next time because manipulting a hot bowl to distribute sauce between little individual serving dishes was fiddly.

Hooray for artichoke season. I also discovered there is no point in cutting off the top third of the artichoke (as most recipes specify) if your steaming vessel is big enough to fit the whole artichokes.

lal9gf3i7zhq.jpeg

Nice! I ate one today! I will try adding white wine in as I haven’t done that before—I should have mentioned I LOVE tobasco and lemon juice (both acid and vinegar make me happy)—my boyfriend also prefers less lemon juice.

I also usually just spoon it out of the large bowl right away as the pour can be messy. God bless artichokes!
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    I made this recipe from MFP:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/lemon-coconut-protein-no-bake-bites-recipe/

Taste like delicious cookies (kinda like a fig newton but better)...they are a perfect pick me up on a tiring day!
  • acpgee
    Harvesting more of the fava shoots.
    zpzrjvko070h.jpg
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,301 Member
    4z2ywhq16uwa.jpg
    I made spaghetti squash in our instant pot but it came out too mushy but it's still good plus there's so much of the cucumber salad I made with those miniature cucumbers we're been having some with every meal. You can eat the skin, had a ground turkey patty with it, it was good
  • purplefizzy
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Today's fruit: The aprium, an apricot/plum cross analogous to the pluot, but favoring the apricot line somewhat more. Skin is velvety, flavor a bit more tart than an apricot. Also bought some fresh brown figs. Got a good haul at the farmers market earlier in the week, but more pedestrian choices: Eggplant, lemon cucumbers, green bell pepper, a beautifully rich and ripe canteloupe (we mostly call them muskmelon here), lacinato kale, and mixed small vari-colored heirloom cherry/plum/pear tomatoes.

925chv726cbd.jpg

Sooo stunning. Love the great description too!
  • purplefizzy
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    can111 wrote: »

I found kabocha, dragon fruit, and jack fruit at an Asian market. I bought kabocha because Purple fizzy posts it, I love winter squash and have to try it! I've never heard of mulukhiya, what is it?

So stoked you are trying my beloved Kabocha! I realized the other day that either the kabocha or the tumeric are turning my hands sorta yellowish. I don’t eat carrots and really only notice it when I hike and my fingers get weird and mountain-y, but I ingest sooo much of both kabocha and tumeric that one or the other is the likely culprit and I don’t care. At all. Totally worth it for how they make me feel.
    Excited to hear what you think of kabocha.
  • purplefizzy
    From this to this in 30 minutes with help of miso glaze and a grill.

q2l6bmv790gx.jpg

o7ul2oyl5ojq.jpg

Leave the light on. I’m pretty sure it will take me about 3 days to drive straight thru.
    I’ll TOTALLY eat cold leftovers if it’s that.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    From this to this in 30 minutes with help of miso glaze and a grill.

q2l6bmv790gx.jpg

o7ul2oyl5ojq.jpg

Leave the light on. I’m pretty sure it will take me about 3 days to drive straight thru.
    I’ll TOTALLY eat cold leftovers if it’s that.

Left overs???hahahahahahah
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Can I ask...is that frozen okra in the ‘before’ pic? Can’t figure out what it is, if not that!

It’s a bit weird, but I used to be able to buy fresh okra 25 years ago here in the UK (when I lived in the middle of nowhere oddly) but I’ve not even seen it for many a year now, and certainly have never seen it frozen!
  • purplefizzy
    Can I ask...is that frozen okra in the ‘before’ pic? Can’t figure out what it is, if not that!

It’s a bit weird, but I used to be able to buy fresh okra 25 years ago here in the UK (when I lived in the middle of nowhere oddly) but I’ve not even seen it for many a year now, and certainly have never seen it frozen!

Yeap. Frozen okra. Roasts beautifully from frozen.

I can verify this.
    I’m okra-Leery, always though of it as slimy.
    @just_Tomek changed my mind with his method.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Weekend goals. Made 10 x 1L jars of these. Thats 8kg of cucumbers. Perfect for winter.

3hk0x2m5z48d.jpg

Yum, those look awesome!