Keto ANYONE???

Hello, would any of you like to share your favorite keto friendly recipe? or perhaps a keto hack something to do with snacks or drinks? I am just tryna get some new fresh ideas for keto, I don't want it to end up boring having the same things. Thank you!! Also feel free to add me as a friend I would love to join you on your journey as well.

Replies

• ruthdo1958
    ruthdo1958 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi is keto the same as low carb?
  • allybink
    allybink Posts: 2 Member
    Hey there. Do you know I can set this app to show net carbs vs total carbs. I’m trying to stay under 20 net carbs a day. But this app is showing me total carbs and keeps alerting me that I’ve gone over. Makes me nervous. Any ideas?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2019
    ruthdo1958 wrote: »

Keto is 20-50g of carbs, while low carb is less than 120-140g.
  • psuLemon
    allybink wrote: »
    Hey there. Do you know I can set this app to show net carbs vs total carbs. I’m trying to stay under 20 net carbs a day. But this app is showing me total carbs and keeps alerting me that I’ve gone over. Makes me nervous. Any ideas?

You can't. You can add carbs and fiber and just subtract the two.
  • psuLemon
    ayovi2019 wrote: »
    Hello, would any of you like to share your favorite keto friendly recipe? or perhaps a keto hack something to do with snacks or drinks? I am just tryna get some new fresh ideas for keto, I don't want it to end up boring having the same things. Thank you!! Also feel free to add me as a friend I would love to join you on your journey as well.

I pretty much select a meat and the just google a keto version or make my own recipe by doing a spice on top and than adding a fat (i.e., butter or oil). Veggies i stick to low sugar/low gi ones.
  • kg4ekd
    kg4ekd Posts: 2 Member
    Here is one of my favorites. It’s super simple and only uses one pan. I brown a couple pounds of hamburger. Remove the hamburger and sauté a small yellow onion and a cup of chopped mushrooms. Add the hamburger back and melt a pack of Philly cream cheese. I call it a Not So Philly Cheesesteak. It’s good on its own or as a wrap on romaine lettuce leaves.
  • kg4ekd
    kg4ekd Posts: 2 Member
    allybink wrote: »

I haven’t seen that option.
  • ayovi2019
    ayovi2019 Posts: 3 Member
    kg4ekd wrote: »
    Here is one of my favorites. It’s super simple and only uses one pan. I brown a couple pounds of hamburger. Remove the hamburger and sauté a small yellow onion and a cup of chopped mushrooms. Add the hamburger back and melt a pack of Philly cream cheese. I call it a Not So Philly Cheesesteak. It’s good on its own or as a wrap on romaine lettuce leaves.

Thank you that sounds really good!

• Kokodaready2020
    Kokodaready2020 Posts: 28 Member
    If its recipes your after try this website, lost of different recipes or at least ideas to mod. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/recipes
  • lilyraya2020
    lilyraya2020 Posts: 1 Member
    I want to start the Keto diet but I have no idea where to start??? Help please
  • Kokodaready2020
    Kokodaready2020 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2019

Start here: https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123/videos

then search Keto and IF.
  • monecg003
    monecg003 Posts: 1 Member
    Gotta check out ketoconnect on YouTube good recipes but great content that helps you get what keto reslly is so u have a purpose for what your doing also pinche Nancy has great Mexican recipes.
  • 1Melissa1
    1Melissa1 Posts: 1 Member
    My favorite snack is ham or salami with pepperoccinis and cream cheese all rolled up like a wrap. And I found a great keto pancake recipe. My 13yo even likes it.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019

Ketosis is when your liver produces ketones. The level of carbs to do this is an individual thing. Can start producing ketones at 50 net carbs or for some people lower. So by definition, keto is 50 or less grams of net carbs daily.

Low carb is generally defined as any diet 150 grams of carbs or lower a day.

All ketoers are low carbers, not all low carbers are ketoers.

;)

I highly recommend the groups on MFP: The Low Carber Daily Forum group and The Keto group. Awesome places, lots of food ideas!!
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member

The diet doctor website or Dr Ken Berry on Youtube are both great sources of info for keto.
  • dmcnur

For most, keto is less than 20g net carbs, but depending on the person can be a little higher and is a more restrictive in what is considered acceptable to eat.
  • dmcnur
    ayovi2019 wrote: »

Generally snacking is not a good idea on keto as the idea is to keep blood glucose stable and avoid spiking it. It is better to have 1, 2 or 3 meals a day and no snacks. If snacking is essential, some nuts such as pecans, walnuts or macadamias or something salty like olives or dill pickles are a good option.

There is a lot of good info on the diet doctor website, as well as a lot of good recipe options and also from Dr. Ken Berry, who has a lot of no nonsense short videos on keto.

I have been keto since November 1st 2017, lost 35kg, along with a lot of health issues and have been maintaining since July last year. I have been and am still medically supervised the whole time.

These are my before and after pictures.

16msb1suxdab.jpg
    labylz88z747.jpg

I hope this helps you.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I think keto can be done so many different ways and still have success losing weight.

I find myself not very hungry since starting Keto, I naturally started IF... Not hungry upon waking.

My first meal of the day is very high calorie... Like 700-1000 calories... For a small plate. I usually sauteed veggies (one or more: spinach, onions, peppers, broccoli, etc) in olive oil, I add leftover meat from night before dinner, I add in another tbsp of olive oil, add in one lightly beaten egg mixed with a serving of cheese, cooked into an omelet or a scramble.

Then top with sour cream, avocado, olives, more cheese, fresh herbs or greens, cherry tomatoes.

My dinner is lighter, baked or seared meat in olive oil, with another serving of veggies, broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, etc thrown in with meat, sometimes cheese, mushrooms, or other things on top.

My favorite snacks are cherry tomatoes, deviled eggs, cherries, olives, sliced avocado. I love nuts, but can't really have them.

Most of my snacks are not filling (on purpose).

If I need to get more calories, I will snack on a homemade chocolate, coconut, peanut butter fat bomb.

Sometimes my dinner consist of salad, like Tex-Mex or Greek.

Good luck.

• CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    I'm doing kept as well. Last night i had wings - deep fried, uncoated and tossed in frank's extra hot sauce. Big bowl of ceasar salad and a handful of walnuts.

Sometimes my main is the caesar salad but i through 6 slices of bacon in it. Delicious....