Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The effect of social media on obesity

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I've read [news] articles that have discussed the study that the link talked about before. In the context of the title of this thread, think it's important to mention that they're not talking about social media. While it would certainly be logical to use the discussed article in a lit review that then went on to analyze research done on any potential influence of social media on weight (loss or gain), that's not what's going on here.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I've read [news] articles that have discussed the study that the link talked about before. In the context of the title of this thread, think it's important to mention that they're not talking about social media. While it would certainly be logical to use the discussed article in a lit review that then went on to analyze research done on any potential influence of social media on weight (loss or gain), that's not what's going on here.

@aokoye It is what I mentioned Just prior to posting the link. I stated my case regarding social media and how it may affect us "in light of..." the info contained in that article. In other words, social networks have a profound effect on us. We know this, and I believe that social media forms virtual social networks and wanted folks thoughts on how we perceive the effect on us. I see mfp and other sites as vast virtual networks. Do they have a similar effect?
  • aokoye
    Phirrgus wrote: »

@aokoye It is what I mentioned Just prior to posting the link. I stated my case regarding social media and how it may affect us "in light of..." the info contained in that article. In other words, social networks have a profound effect on us. We know this, and I believe that social media forms virtual social networks and wanted folks thoughts on how we perceive the effect on us. I see mfp and other sites as vast virtual networks. Do they have a similar effect?

I also believe that social media can be a form of a social network. That said, I am also well aware that social media is not what was discussed in the article that you linked to. I think MFP is unique compared to most social media in that it revolves around weight management. Given that, if I were to design a study surrounding social media broadly and weight change that included MFP, it would either be an outlier or in a category with other social media revolving around weight.
  • Phirrgus

I also believe that social media can be a form of a social network. That said, I am also well aware that social media is not what was discussed in the article that you linked to. I think MFP is unique compared to most social media in that it revolves around weight management. Given that, if I were to design a study surrounding social media broadly and weight change that included MFP, it would either be an outlier or in a category with other social media revolving around weight.

I know you saw my admission to a very convoluted thought process :D

I do think as well that mfp isn't strictly indicative of a social media network per se, but it does have it's components that meet the definitions. If anything it seems to represent a nice sample of both sides of the equation, being common goal oriented social media network alongside a good chunk of social media networking for no other purpose than fun. That last representing certain sub-forums here.

Like minded individuals do seem to flock to like minded and have a positive, or at times negative effect. That's mollified here a bit due to the strict moderation which keeps it from getting out of hand.

That's pretty much the only place I was going with this, in a nutshell. People's effect on each other through various mediums.
  • aokoye

Sometimes I like thinking up interesting studies that I would never carry out because a. it's not especially close to my main areas of interest research wise and b. I simply don't have the time or resources. Given how many of my posts you've read, I can't imagine that you're surprised by any of this this ;)
  • Phirrgus

Sometimes I like thinking up interesting studies that I would never carry out because a. it's not especially close to my main areas of interest research wise and b. I simply don't have the time or resources. Given how many of my posts you've read, I can't imagine that you're surprised by any of this this ;)

Pleasantly not surprised. It's why I enjoy bouncing ideas in debate. :)
  • Phirrgus
    RFC2549 wrote: »
    Social media influences people? *shocked*
    Terytha wrote: »
    There's a reason people who get really serious about losing weight often also lose friends.

Are you sure it's not because they happen to be narcissistic *kitten*? If losing weight means you end up losing friends, there are likely some issues there.

I've seen the narcissistic behavior come out in some that lost weight, sure, but also have seen folks lose friends simply due to the change in interests as @AnnPT77 pointed out. On the social media front @CSARdiver brought up that emotion over reason (We called it I/E or E/I back in the day) and there are a million studies in confirmation bias alone and that's a reason for concern to me.

Why? I have grandkids that had tablets and phones (movies/music) in their hands before 8 months old. I don't believe there's nothing to worry about, but I try not to step on the parents toes either, so...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    There's a reason people who get really serious about losing weight often also lose friends.

Are you sure it's not because they happen to be narcissistic *kitten*? If losing weight means you end up losing friends, there are likely some issues there.

I've seen the narcissistic behavior come out in some that lost weight, sure, but also have seen folks lose friends simply due to the change in interests as @AnnPT77 pointed out. On the social media front @CSARdiver brought up that emotion over reason (We called it I/E or E/I back in the day) and there are a million studies in confirmation bias alone and that's a reason for concern to me.

Why? I have grandkids that had tablets and phones (movies/music) in their hands before 8 months old. I don't believe there's nothing to worry about, but I try not to step on the parents toes either, so...

Like in all things - movies, comics, D&D, rock music, rap music, social media (whatever the concern over the latest moral panic) this issue comes from lack of contact with the parents/guardians. e.g. a child watching YouTube with a parent can be a remarkable bonding and educational experience. A child watching YouTube by themselves without any context or guidance can be disastrous.
  • Phirrgus
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Like in all things - movies, comics, D&D, rock music, rap music, social media (whatever the concern over the latest moral panic) this issue comes from lack of contact with the parents/guardians. e.g. a child watching YouTube with a parent can be a remarkable bonding and educational experience. A child watching YouTube by themselves without any context or guidance can be disastrous.
    I cannot agree with all of this hard enough. Short, to the point and spot on.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

So. Video games DON'T cause shootings?

:)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited August 2019

Only in the US if worldwide statistics are to be believed.

*Edited for spelling/grammar.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    My entire facebook is either dogs or fitness related. And of course memes.
    But I can see where you are coming from.
  • Phirrgus

What's amazing to me is that historically we are living in the most peaceful age of human record, but we are being sold a completely different narrative where anyone watching the news would believe we are in an apocalyptic age.

...and video games...won't someone please think of the pixels....so many pixels...

I've murdered so many pixels. :#

*hangs head in shame*
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

What's amazing to me is that historically we are living in the most peaceful age of human record, but we are being sold a completely different narrative where anyone watching the news would believe we are in an apocalyptic age.

...and video games...won't someone please think of the pixels....so many pixels...

I've murdered so many pixels. :#

*hangs head in shame*

Never did see that movie....
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @cayenne_007 because I, too, live in NM I resonated with your post on how different this state is from my SoCal upbringing. Interesting to me is that after nearly 30 years of living here I "fit in" in terms of obesity - a far cry from my roots of never too thin, too rich, too etc. outlook of SoCal.

Who and where you are associated with may have more than a subtle influence on health. This is why things beyond my plate are changing - to including friends, activities, and support. MFP is my support venue as is my employer.