The topic I didn't want to discuss - loose skin

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
edited August 2019 in Social Groups
So I really didn't want to discuss this on MFP at all. I am an extremely private person by nature and this is a very public forum. However this group is for this very kind of discussion because I won't be the only one to go through this.

So my upcoming surgery... yep. Because of how I carried so much of my weight in my mid-section it has created quite an impediment for me as the weight has come off. I have to be so careful with it because gravity - poor blood flow keeps it from healing well if it gets injured. I have to do everything slower. It is also a mental impediment for me. I can't ever feel like I am at the weight I currently am because I am so much bigger than that still.

Normally people wait until they have been at goal at least 12 months before even considering this. The reason is that skin will tighten up over time for some people. Genetics and skin quality are factors. Considering how much I weighed my skin there is in pretty terrible shape and my PCP has wanted it gone for some time now but I didn't qualify as it is not life threatening. I also didn't want to get it done back then because what my skinny doctor doesn't understand is that the more weight you carry the harder everything is and that would more than include recovery from a fairly significant surgery.

I am ill-at-ease for several reasons but when I was posting about not being ready for maintenance I didn't want to say that I am about to jump 30 pounds (surgeon's estimate) forward. You would think I would find the idea relieving because that is weight I don't have to lose but I find it troubling. I understand that most of this is lean weight that I would have lost anyway but since a portion of it will be fat I really wrestled with it. Ultimately this is a quality of life issue and ultimately I have put in the work and I deserve to move freely. I am always saying be kind to yourself... I suppose this qualifies.

I am not sure how much more there is to know right now. Recovery will be difficult because I am getting cut most of the way around my body. I will try to share what I believe is relevant about recovery for the next person who will face this. Hopefully I will be the only one that does before goal because my extra weight will still make my recovery more difficult than if it had been gone.

Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I wish you the best and prayers for a speedy recovery.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    I was curious about what the surgery was that you've talked about, but didn't want to pry. Thanks for sharing -- I know how hard that can be sometimes.

I'm sure I'll have loose skin by the time I'm through, but I have no idea how much to expect or how much it'll impact me. It's something I think about often, though.

Do you have the procedure scheduled?
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    I wish you the best and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Thanks, buddy.
  • NovusDies
    merph518 wrote: »
    I was curious about what the surgery was that you've talked about, but didn't want to pry. Thanks for sharing -- I know how hard that can be sometimes.

I'm sure I'll have loose skin by the time I'm through, but I have no idea how much to expect or how much it'll impact me. It's something I think about often, though.

Do you have the procedure scheduled?

The procedure is scheduled but there are some loose ends to tie up like making the weight and getting cardio clearance. I should be fine on the clearance assuming I can get the appt schedule. The biggest issue with the weight is that it will run very tight and I need a buffer for weight fluctuations. I could go very low carb if it gets close but that is a last resort because my eating is typically low on fat and jacking up that macro could make me feel pretty ill.

I initially read all that I could on loose skin prevention. There isn't much you can do. They say moisturizing helps. I have done it even though I knew I would still need surgery but as I mentioned keeping that area free of injury is a high priority for me. When something happens it typically gushes blood and it takes 3 weeks to heal. Also, because conventional adhesive tape for bandages are not strong enough to hold I have to use duct tape to keep the bandage on. It is mightily unpleasant but I think my situation is a little more unique because of my very uneven fat distribution.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    @NovusDies Good luck with your surgery and for a quick recovery.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    For some reason I assumed your surgery was on your feet or your knees. I have no idea where I got that from. I hope that this goes well for you. Any surgery is a big decision, but hopefully this will make your life easier once you have been through it. Good luck, and I hope your body heals quickly and heals well. Kia kaha. Kia manawanui. (Be strong. Be of big heart.)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I think it's only natural to feel ill-at-ease when going into something like this.

I am not sure if you use Instagram (you can still view without an account anyway) at all but there's a girl I follow who lost a massive amount of weight (312 pounds in 2 years) and has posted about her loose skin surgeries.

https://www.instagram.com/fatgirlfedup/
    https://www.facebook.com/Fatgirlfedup/
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies Good luck with your surgery and for a quick recovery.

Thanks!
  • NovusDies
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    For some reason I assumed your surgery was on your feet or your knees. I have no idea where I got that from. I hope that this goes well for you. Any surgery is a big decision, but hopefully this will make your life easier once you have been through it. Good luck, and I hope your body heals quickly and heals well. Kia kaha. Kia manawanui. (Be strong. Be of big heart.)

That would be a great guess and considering my right knee and right ankle are often unhappy one of them is likely to see the knife in the future. I am actually planning on getting a referral on the knee next time I see my PCP. I have been putting that off because I have been hoping the weight reduction would take care of it but I am starting to feel that is unlikely.
  • NovusDies
    I think it's only natural to feel ill-at-ease when going into something like this.

I am not sure if you use Instagram (you can still view without an account anyway) at all but there's a girl I follow who lost a massive amount of weight (312 pounds in 2 years) and has posted about her loose skin surgeries.

I have never used instagram but it might be worth a check.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Thank you for plucking up the courage to share, it is something that I worry about a lot so I would find your story interesting. Best of luck in your surgery, I hope it all works out to plan and you have a speedy recovery.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The procedure is scheduled but there are some loose ends to tie up like making the weight and getting cardio clearance. I should be fine on the clearance assuming I can get the appt schedule. The biggest issue with the weight is that it will run very tight and I need a buffer for weight fluctuations. I could go very low carb if it gets close but that is a last resort because my eating is typically low on fat and jacking up that macro could make me feel pretty ill.

Sounds stressful, but I have a feeling you will do fine. From what I've gathered, you're a pretty determined individual! I'll be following what you choose to share on this and will be rooting for you.
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    Good luck with your surgery, I will be praying everything goes smoothly. This is something I worry about a lot, especially with about 150 lbs to lose. That is part of why I want to incorporate exercise, and why I know taking it slow is best. I also know that it is pretty much inevitable that I will deal with it at least to some extent. I know you are very private, but I think we all appreciate you opening up about this. Hopefully your journey with this now will be helpful to some of us down the road.
  • NovusDies
    edited August 2019
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    surgery is stressful, no matter what it is. it sounds like there's a strong potential for life improving change here. getting rid of tissues that are causing more harm than help will be awesome in the long run. I had my thyroid removed last year--turns out it was atrophied and nonfunctional--and man... I was the most stressed I've been in my life. but, eventually, I got to a much better place. it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you're near the start, but you'll get there.

and! you've built a great set of skills for handling life, and you'll keep building them moving forward. you've got this. :)
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @NovusDies First, thank you for sharing. I'm also pretty private and baring anything online (even in the guise of anonymity) is daunting. So, thank you for taking the leap and sharing some details. Second, I truly hope your surgery goes well and that recovery is quick. I also hope that once it's all said and done and you're through recovery that the improvement is so great and you can move so much better that you might just do a little jig in glee!

Thirdly, don't forget to take mental breaks in worrying and be kind to yourself. Tell yourself how awesome you are that you've lost the weight. That you're working towards bettering your life. That you're AWESOME. This dragon, you'll slay it and take its loot pile as a reward and that reward will be a life made better.

Good luck!! Each dawn is a new opportunity to make our lives better!
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

Sounds stressful, but I have a feeling you will do fine. From what I've gathered, you're a pretty determined individual! I'll be following what you choose to share on this and will be rooting for you.

@merph518 pretty much summed up my thoughts. I would also add that as someone currently recovering from major surgery that has been slow and with complications that included a 911 call and an ambulance to the hospital, I’m so glad I listened to my doctor and had the surgery. I was suffering in ways I didn’t even realize prior to the surgery. I think that you may be surprised by how good that immediate 30 lb weight loss feels. I’m personally excited for you and wish you the best while you recover! I can also recommend some good tv shows and books to read while you rest up afterwards!
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member

I follow her on Instagram, and ‘70lbsoflife’ I find them quite motivating
  • NovusDies
    Thanks @amkita, @dhiammarath, and @real_change

I find that I deal with stress best by being super prepared for things. Even though it is still over a month away I will spend this weekend making a really good soup broth because I have to be a on liquid diet for 2 days post-op. The more prepared I am for the things I can control the less I will stress.

I am also going to be making food and freezing it for my recovery because I will be eating maintenance for 2 to 3 weeks. I am assuming by the second week I will be feeling decent enough to at least enjoy what I am eating. I will try to figure my maintenance based on sedentary and then perhaps add 100 calories just to make sure I am eating enough.