Aug 12 - 10km
    Aug 13 - 24km
    Aug 14 - 10km

Aug Original Goal - 100km
    Aug Updated Goal - 200km
    Aug Total - 80km
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    I'm sure that I missed all the wedding anniversaries. But Happy Anniversary to everyone that got married in Aug or Sept!!

@PastorVincent Thanks for the recipe of the cake. Very nice pic of the halo.

@Faebert - Welcome to the group. Nice pace in your first half. Impressive, you are a natural.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @rheddmobile My run was hot on Tues. and it was a bit cooler yet up here north of Memphis. I had hoped that rain would cool things off here too, but it sounds like it stayed south by you because I didn't see any of it. :(

Is there a place to park where you can get in and out before sunrise / after sunset? It kinda looks like that convention center at the main entrance to the park is outside the gates, but I have fortunately never had to worry about that (yet).
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,702 Member
    And by morning we were back to normal August temperatures in Memphis, aka purgatory but not actually hell.

This gave me a good laugh! Happy Anniversary!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @rheddmobile My run was hot on Tues. and it was a bit cooler yet up here north of Memphis. I had hoped that rain would cool things off here too, but it sounds like it stayed south by you because I didn't see any of it. :(

Is there a place to park where you can get in and out before sunrise / after sunset? It kinda looks like that convention center at the main entrance to the park is outside the gates, but I have fortunately never had to worry about that (yet).

In practice I have yet to be locked in, and once we miscalculated and were there a good hour after sunset, but the ranger does get very fed up with you. The door IN gets locked about ten minutes before sundown. I think you can get out by the Fedex center as you suggested, but I haven’t checked.

If you wanted to run the Greenline after dark without entering the park at all you could park at Starbucks in Cordova and walk to the trailhead. However, it’s posted, it’s theoretically trespassing to be there after dark, and the police have golf carts which they use to patrol the trails. I imagine if you pass muster as far as looking respectable you would get off with a warning - I wouldn’t want to try it as anyone likely to be profiled.

The Penal Farm is a working prison so they do get a little touchy about the area. It’s been local tradition for decades for frat boys to test their manliness by breaking into Shelby Farms at night and tipping bison, which can be tipped just like cows. Except of course that bison will happily toss you ten feet in the air. I’ve heard many stories over the years of young people being chased by the police and running, but no stories of anyone actually getting caught. My thought is that probably the police just wish everyone would stay the heck out after dark and make their lives easier. It’s unfortunate though, since during August there’s no legal and safe place to run except during daylight hours.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

In practice I have yet to be locked in, and once we miscalculated and were there a good hour after sunset, but the ranger does get very fed up with you. The door IN gets locked about ten minutes before sundown. I think you can get out by the Fedex center as you suggested, but I haven’t checked.

If you wanted to run the Greenline after dark without entering the park at all you could park at Starbucks in Cordova and walk to the trailhead. However, it’s posted, it’s theoretically trespassing to be there after dark, and the police have golf carts which they use to patrol the trails. I imagine if you pass muster as far as looking respectable you would get off with a warning - I wouldn’t want to try it as anyone likely to be profiled.

The Penal Farm is a working prison so they do get a little touchy about the area. It’s been local tradition for decades for frat boys to test their manliness by breaking into Shelby Farms at night and tipping bison, which can be tipped just like cows. Except of course that bison will happily toss you ten feet in the air. I’ve heard many stories over the years of young people being chased by the police and running, but no stories of anyone actually getting caught. My thought is that probably the police just wish everyone would stay the heck out after dark and make their lives easier. It’s unfortunate though, since during August there’s no legal and safe place to run except during daylight hours.

Right, and it would be cooler to run at night. My next marathon starts at 5am, so was hoping to get out this weekend for a long run starting that early to emulate the marathon. I surely won't be out that early running on narrow country roads here.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    @kgirlhart @zamirasoni @shanaber Thank you for the well wishes. I finally started feeling better this weekend.

I had to skip five runs from August 4 to 9 because I was sick with strep throat. That puts me 23.5 miles behind on my monthly goal. It was also week 2 of a 12 week 15K training plan. Anyway:

8.02: 7.0M Long Run (7.0)
    8.03: Scheduled Rest Day

8.04- 8.10: Skipped (sick)

8.11: 4.5M Easy (11.5)
    8.12: 4.0M Intervals (15.5)
    8.13: 4.5M Easy (20)
    8.14: Scheduled Rest Day
    8.15: 4.5M Pace Run (24.5)

Can someone recommend a good pace calculator that tells you what your long runs, intervals, etc should be done at when you plug in a goal pace for a race?

Example, I want to run my 15K in October at 8:45/M which is 1:21:40 (previous 15K time was 1:22:55, 8:54 pace). What pace should my easy and long runs be? What should my intervals paces and distances be? Right now I run a pace run on Thursdays and run it between 8:40 and 8:50. Currently, my easy runs are in the 9:45 range. I've been running 8- .5M intervals at 7:41 with a 2:15 walking break in between, and my long runs have been a little over 10:00. These times are a little slow for me but the heat index has been hovering around 95-100. Despite running slow, my HR is still in the 160s for all my runs- my pace runs are in the 170s. I'm also in a calorie deficit everyday except for the day before my long runs, which usually are Fridays.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited August 2019
    Can someone recommend a good pace calculator that tells you what your long runs, intervals, etc should be done at when you plug in a goal pace for a race?

Example, I want to run my 15K in October at 8:45/M which is 1:21:40 (previous 15K time was 1:22:55, 8:54 pace). What pace should my easy and long runs be? What should my intervals paces and distances be? Right now I run a pace run on Thursdays and run it between 8:40 and 8:50. Currently, my easy runs are in the 9:45 range. I've been running 8- .5M intervals at 7:41 with a 2:15 walking break in between, and my long runs have been a little over 10:00. These times are a little slow for me but the heat index has been hovering around 95-100. Despite running slow, my HR is still in the 160s for all my runs- my pace runs are in the 170s. I'm also in a calorie deficit everyday except for the day before my long runs, which usually are Fridays.

Instead of thinking pace, I suggest you try doing it this way...
    • Long Runs - "conversational" to "Comfortably hard" - the point of these really is time on feet. You should be able to complete the entire distance and feel like you have some left in the tank.
    • Intervals - These should be as hard as you can go, and still complete the work out, but no more
    • Threshold run - As fast as you go and complete about an hour run, but no farther
    • Pace runs - these are at your target race pace, or as close as you can get - part of the point of these is so that you learn what the race pace feels like and can judge it better in the actual race

The problem with "pace" is that weather, sleep, food, conditioning etc will impact that great and you could be pushing too hard and still not hit the pace, or hit the pace and be running too slow for an effective workout.

Very good points @pastorvincent, however, http://www.bane.info will give you the numbers you seek (I have mine stuck to my fridge and every time I see my speed form training pace I laugh).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    So I have recently had several things come together in my life, healthwise, to concern me. About 2 months ago I started having intermittent neuropathy in my feet, coupled with the appearance of some bilateral lower leg swelling and what has been noted as a venous stasis ulcer on my right shin(indicative of poor blood flow). My average blood sugar,fasting, has been creeping up to about 100-110, up from the 70-80 it usually is. All of these things singly would not be concerning, but considering my family's strong history of type 2 diabetes I felt it prudent to do something about it. Fortunately God felt the same way. About 4 weeks ago the trainer I use at our local facility received a grant for the PREVENT T2 program. Much like MFP it uses support in the form of group accountability, keeping a food diary and regular weigh-ins with incentives for completing all of the year long classes. In the last few weeks I have noted that though I thought I was doing well calorie wise, that was obviously not the case. My goals are to bring my food back under the control it used to be along with running, lifting and walking. Hopefully I will not be too late in dealing with this issue....Take care everyone, and I will see you on here often :smiley:

My runs and walks have been posting to Strava but life has been hectic with heading back to school in less than 2 weeks from today. Thankfully school will not affect my running days at all, in fact it may even make it easier to nab longer runs during the week....hmmm :o .

Now back to trying to catch up on all the posts from this month :D

You have my best wishes! I sure wish someone had done an intervention for me before it was too late and I was stuck with type 2.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    So I have recently had several things come together in my life, healthwise, to concern me. About 2 months ago I started having intermittent neuropathy in my feet, coupled with the appearance of some bilateral lower leg swelling and what has been noted as a venous stasis ulcer on my right shin(indicative of poor blood flow). My average blood sugar,fasting, has been creeping up to about 100-110, up from the 70-80 it usually is. All of these things singly would not be concerning, but considering my family's strong history of type 2 diabetes I felt it prudent to do something about it. Fortunately God felt the same way. About 4 weeks ago the trainer I use at our local facility received a grant for the PREVENT T2 program. Much like MFP it uses support in the form of group accountability, keeping a food diary and regular weigh-ins with incentives for completing all of the year long classes. In the last few weeks I have noted that though I thought I was doing well calorie wise, that was obviously not the case. My goals are to bring my food back under the control it used to be along with running, lifting and walking. Hopefully I will not be too late in dealing with this issue....Take care everyone, and I will see you on here often :smiley:

My runs and walks have been posting to Strava but life has been hectic with heading back to school in less than 2 weeks from today. Thankfully school will not affect my running days at all, in fact it may even make it easier to nab longer runs during the week....hmmm :o .

Now back to trying to catch up on all the posts from this month :D

You have my best wishes! I sure wish someone had done an intervention for me before it was too late and I was stuck with type 2.

I agree!

But I am in the camp that caught it soon enough that I still can control with food and exercise alone. It is a pain, but it can be done. :) After a while of focused effort, it will become habit forming. You got this! :)