What Effect Do Chia Seeds Have on You?

2»

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I like them as a snack sometimes, they will usually divert my attention from junk food, and when I'm hungry, and they will satisfy my cravings. I don't soak them, i love the dry crunchy texture. I take teaspoon or so.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I put mine in my oats or pancakes or banana bread. I also dislike the gluggy gross texture thing that they have when they are soaked overnight or made into a pudding. BLEH!!! But baked or a spoonful in my porridge or pancake mix - nice.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    They get stuck in my teeth. Hate them.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    They are really good for you! I eat them all the time. Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron, and calcium. A 28-gram, or 1-ounce, serving of chia seeds also contains 5.6 grams of protein. I'm vegan so I need things like this for protein, calcium, omega-3, etc.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    nuzziek wrote: »
    They are really good for you! I eat them all the time. Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron, and calcium. A 28-gram, or 1-ounce, serving of chia seeds also contains 5.6 grams of protein. I'm vegan so I need things like this for protein, calcium, omega-3, etc.

No, they are not good for me! Food that causes health problems are not good for you, or in this case me. Please don't generalize, but happy that you can eat chia seeds without problems.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I don't eat them often. No digestive issues (I'm used to high fiber), but they're higher in calories than similar alternatives. I like them as pudding, but I find myself choosing regular, rice, or semolina pudding over them because I get to eat more of them for the calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    They get stuck in my teeth. Hate them.

When I presoak them, they do not get stuck in my teeth.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to have them dry in this or that and they do stick in my teeth like that. Now I soak them in a little water. I'd read you only need to do this for 15 minutes, but I soak for at least a few hours and preferably overnight.

Properly soaked, I have no issues with them getting stuck in my teeth or digesting them. They remind me of frog's eggs.

38885689-glass-of-chia-seeds-soaking-in-water-isolated-on-white.jpg

Great tip! How much do you use for both water & chia seeds? I’m going to try this!

1/2 T (7 g) seeds in about a half cup water.