Aaaaany trail runners in here? Or beginner triathletes?

13»

Replies

• Jim_Kintsugi
    Jim_Kintsugi Posts: 58 Member
    those trails look so good. I just started running this year, and I like the trails better than the roads.
  • xrunlukerunx
    xrunlukerunx Posts: 37 Member
    What shoes does everyone use? I'm wearing my Salomon Speedcross 4's out rapidly so keen to see what else is around.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    What shoes does everyone use? I'm wearing my Salomon Speedcross 4's out rapidly so keen to see what else is around.
    Hoka Speedgoat 3

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @jjpptt2 I hope that trail run ends with a dip in the lake!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

Brooks Pure Grit and La Sportiva Kaptiva. Love them both.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

i have a pair of saucony xodus gtx.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I have La Sportiva Bushidos. They have fantastic grip. Love them.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Topo Athletic ST2 or ST3 - i switched to them a couple years ago and never looked back
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    I did the Appleman Tri in Littleton, MA, USA in July and also a couple of years back. It's .5mi swim, 10mi bike, and 3 mi run. The run is partially on a trail that goes up and down a grade with boulders on the trail. I walked that part! I also did the Harvest Triathlon in Warham, MA, USA in June. It also had the run on dirt (and sand!), but it was flat and very beautiful, running around cranberry bogs.

In general, I like to jog on dirt paths and do it regularly! Way more interesting and often cooler than the pavement!

(I don't like running up or down New England rocky trails for safety reasons, but I've been passed by several people who do it. Yowza!)
  • xrunlukerunx
    xrunlukerunx Posts: 37 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have La Sportiva Bushidos. They have fantastic grip. Love them.
    I've been wanting to try these!
  • jjpptt2
    edited August 2019
    I've seen a couple of people mention La Sportiva Bushidos...

If you like those, it's worth trying the Kaptivas, which I believe is their newest shoe. Fit is slightly narrower through the midfoot, and ride is slightly more athletic/nimble overall, but IMO, still have that La Sportiva feel. To me, the biggest change/benefit is much more consistent traction across a wider range of terrain. I continue to be impressed with them.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

If you like those, it's worth trying the Kaptivas, which I believe is their newest shoe. Fit is slightly narrower through the midfoot, and ride is slightly more athletic/nimble overall, but IMO, still have that La Sportiva feel. To me, the biggest change/benefit is much more consistent traction across a wider range of terrain. I continue to be impressed with them.

Thanks! I will have to try them. If I have one complaint about the Bushidos, it's that they are a bit more rigid than I would like.
  • jjpptt2
    lporter229 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Thanks! I will have to try them. If I have one complaint about the Bushidos, it's that they are a bit more rigid than I would like.

That's the one thing I didn't like about them... just a touch too clunky feeling for me. They are definitely my pick for a jack of all trades shoe that is well suited to both running and hiking, but I wanted something a bit more athletic for my runs. The Kaptiva is definitely that shoe.

I do suggest you try them on prior to buying, or order from someplace with a good return policy -- they are more narrow than the Bushidos.