Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are our casual clothes making us fat??

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    ilfaith wrote: »
    Had an ad pop up in my Facebook feed for yoga pants that look like dress pants. Showed a woman sitting in a chair with the waistband of her trousers digging into her belly. Alongside was a woman, in her stretchy dress pants with the elastic waist, comfortably rubbing her tummy. The model was relatively slim, but I thought isn't this why Americans have gotten fat over the past few decades. Clothes that are comfy and stretchy instead of tailored and constricting.

Has the popularity of athleisure fueled the obesity epidemic? Back in the day...and I'm not just thinking back to the Mad Men era of slim fitting suits and sharp fitted dresses...but even when I entered the work force in the 90s, people dressed up more for work. But then casual Fridays became business casual every day, Dockers and leggings became commonplace, and it even became difficult to find denim that didn't contain a little lycra for stretch.

So maybe we didn't notice when we put on a few pounds, as our clothing expanded along with our waistlines. And vanity sizing miraculously kept us in the same sizes we wore 8n college. And thanks to inexpensive "fast fashion" if an item became too tight (must have shrunk in the wash) it was cheap enough to replace with something new.

Obviously, I wouldn't dream of bringing back corsets and whalebone stays. But I wonder if a return to wearing more structured clothes would make people stop and think hmm...these are feeling a little snug. Perhaps I should get a salad or skip the pudding.

Personally, I think it's symptomatic of the inverse being true: society getting fatter is driving the trend to avoid things that are uncomfortable to fat people. Similarly, athleisure is popular to an extent that it makes people feel good about the illusion of feeling active based on their attire.

I like the athleisure stuff not because it gives me the illusion of being active but because a) it is comfy b) doesn't look bad even on a fat person if you get the right size and cut (like any other clothing) and c) I view it as *equipment* to use to get to a *goal* of controlling my weight, and in some cases to remove even the most trivial of barriers to working out.

For me the tool aspects are: If I'm already dressed workout-ready to go pick up groceries, then going to the gym is that much less of an incremental hassle because I don't have to change in the dressing room--removes one more excuse for not going. And, if I'm in the grocery in my workout clothes, it sort of guilts me into not buying as much snacky-s***. Athleisure dressing may not have those benefits for others, but it does for me.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I eat too much and put on weight whether dressed or naked...and I want to look better naked so I eat less and move more. Screw clothes, who needs em. o:)

Pants are for squares.
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I eat too much and put on weight whether dressed or naked...and I want to look better naked so I eat less and move more. Screw clothes, who needs em. o:)

Pants are for squares.

And for avoiding jail time when you go out in public... :smile:

Wait...I'm supposed to wear them? In public? Always wondered why people are uncomfortable around me :o

You obviously live in San Francisco, where public nudity is legal (but you have to bring something to sit on--no naked butts on the bus-stop benches. Besides you don't know who sat there before you...).

Thing about public nudity in SF being legal--it's so fracking cold there all the time pretty much nobody ever exercises that right!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

Wait...I'm supposed to wear them? In public? Always wondered why people are uncomfortable around me :o

You obviously live in San Francisco, where public nudity is legal (but you have to bring something to sit on--no naked butts on the bus-stop benches. Besides you don't know who sat there before you...).

Thing about public nudity in SF being legal--it's so fracking cold there all the time pretty much nobody ever exercises that right!

I was like, "cold in San Fran? No way!" and then I checked the climate info and dear god, it doesn't get very warm in San Fran. Doesn't get very cold either, but def cold enough to not be walking around without a coat.

No pants is still fine, though, as long as you have a coat. At least that's what I see from the shorts that teenage girls wear in Jan here in Michigan.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Pants are for squares.

Kilts. Kilts. Always an option.

Or booty shorts. No judging. Just maybe a little snickering behind our hands...

I told you that in confidence!

Last time I trust you.

At least I didn't post the pics.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

Well, the cops keep chasing me, so probably not San Francisco lol. :p
  • Phirrgus

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

I was like, "cold in San Fran? No way!" and then I checked the climate info and dear god, it doesn't get very warm in San Fran. Doesn't get very cold either, but def cold enough to not be walking around without a coat.

No pants is still fine, though, as long as you have a coat. At least that's what I see from the shorts that teenage girls wear in Jan here in Michigan.

I was stationed on the U.P. years ago. Never. Ever. Again.
  • RelCanonical

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

The U.P. is brutal in winter. My friends that went to Michigan Tech would share pictures on social media and holy bananas. They are not only further north, but they also get crazy amounts of lake-effect snow from Lake Superior.
  • Phirrgus

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

The U.P. is brutal in winter. My friends that went to Michigan Tech would share pictures on social media and holy bananas. They are not only further north, but they also get crazy amounts of lake-effect snow from Lake Superior.

Oh yeah, good old Marquette. Met some great folks there and caught some beautiful fish in Superior, saw lots of Moose, bear etc....did I ever mention I'll never go there again? :p
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,273 Member
    This is slightly off-topic, but I was just thinking about the casual clothing boom the other day. When I started my own business way back when - my job consisted of going into other businesses to do my work. I ALWAYS dressed up. I loved it. I had a wardrobe of beautiful dresses and luscious heels and sharp handbags. Even as workplaces became more casual - I stuck to my guns and continued dressing up. I wanted to project a professional and competent image despite the often weird looks I would get - LOL.

So now I am retired. And there my stuff hangs. I miss wearing those clothes. Sometimes I go out to dinner just for an excuse to get dressed up again. But even in fancier restaurants the dress code has really gotten more lenient and I feel overdressed and out of place. I guess my point is - anybody in the market for slightly worn Manolo heels, size 8??? ;)

Still wear it! I love dressing up to go to the grocery store, lol. As I've become more comfortable with my body, it's been far easier to just wear what I want, and I'm like you - I love dressing up, albeit with cheaper shoes because I ain't made of money, lol. I guess it depends on the region, but people here have had nothing but good things to say. Some people at my job wear gym shorts to work, we're so casual (digital marketing), but I always dress up because it makes ME feel good.
    This whole sub-topic has me intrigued. I have NEVER liked dressing up; if I could wear jeans to work every day I'd be the happiest girl in the world. That said, I've also been considerably overweight since elementary school. I wonder if I'll like dressing up more as I lose more weight? Or maybe I'll just look slightly more presentable in my stretchy pants...
  • RelCanonical
    This is slightly off-topic, but I was just thinking about the casual clothing boom the other day. When I started my own business way back when - my job consisted of going into other businesses to do my work. I ALWAYS dressed up. I loved it. I had a wardrobe of beautiful dresses and luscious heels and sharp handbags. Even as workplaces became more casual - I stuck to my guns and continued dressing up. I wanted to project a professional and competent image despite the often weird looks I would get - LOL.

So now I am retired. And there my stuff hangs. I miss wearing those clothes. Sometimes I go out to dinner just for an excuse to get dressed up again. But even in fancier restaurants the dress code has really gotten more lenient and I feel overdressed and out of place. I guess my point is - anybody in the market for slightly worn Manolo heels, size 8??? ;)

Still wear it! I love dressing up to go to the grocery store, lol. As I've become more comfortable with my body, it's been far easier to just wear what I want, and I'm like you - I love dressing up, albeit with cheaper shoes because I ain't made of money, lol. I guess it depends on the region, but people here have had nothing but good things to say. Some people at my job wear gym shorts to work, we're so casual (digital marketing), but I always dress up because it makes ME feel good.
    This whole sub-topic has me intrigued. I have NEVER liked dressing up; if I could wear jeans to work every day I'd be the happiest girl in the world. That said, I've also been considerably overweight since elementary school. I wonder if I'll like dressing up more as I lose more weight? Or maybe I'll just look slightly more presentable in my stretchy pants...

I think it just depends on the person. My mom has never liked dressing up, she always says that the love of dressing up skipped a generation because my grandma was into dressing up too.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,925 Member
    I have never really liked dressing up - am a naturally casual person.
    And I have been like that all my life, nothing to do with obesity.
    Have been healthy BMI for most of my life before creeping into overweight ( but not obese) after about age 35 - so called middle age spread
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

I think it just depends on the person. My mom has never liked dressing up, she always says that the love of dressing up skipped a generation because my grandma was into dressing up too.

I personally agree with this, but there are a good number of people who prioritize aesthetics. I hate dressing up and basically lived in a flight suit or BDUs during my military term.

There is a good point brought up with the pro-uniform crowd when used correctly - the uniform (and manners) puts everyone on an equal playing field. If I'm going to a meeting it goes better if everyone wears similar attire. My firm recently adopted a "Dress for your day" policy. Where everyday attire is based upon the needs of the day, so casual, but if you need to step up to business casual or business formal - be prepared. So I keep a suit on a hangar at the ready.

I cannot imagine any real link to attire and obesity though.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

It's funny because I live in Oregon where public nudity is legal so long as one isn't intending "to cause arousal in others". The only time people ever exercise that right, in Portland at least, is on the nude beach or during the Naked Bike Ride.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

It's funny because I live in Oregon where public nudity is legal so long as one isn't intending "to cause arousal in others". The only time people ever exercise that right, in Portland at least, is on the nude beach or during the Naked Bike Ride.

Naked Bike Ride? :grimace:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited August 2019
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    130annie wrote: »
    Sizing may be a problem too...Every country is different...take UK and USA...and Asian tiny...

My wife used to work in retail. She would laugh at Chico's sizing. Their smalls and mediums are generous to say the least. They would be large in most other stores. If someone came in to her store that was used to going to Chicos, she would spend hours trying to find a 6 or 8 they could fit into when they were a true 14 or 16. It doesn't help when retailers use inconsistent sizing as a marketing strategy.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

Yeah - it's totally a thing and not just in Portland. It's part of the World Naked Bike Ride which has been apparently going on for 15 years according to wikipedia (that article isn't safe for work for obvious reasons). Thousands of people participate in Portland's ride annually. I have zero desire to do it for multiple reasons (including that it doesn't sound physically comfortable), but the people I know who have done it enjoyed it (including someone I wouldn't have expected to report back good things).
  • Phirrgus

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

Yeah - it's totally a thing and not just in Portland. It's part of the World Naked Bike Ride which has been apparently going on for 15 years according to wikipedia (that article isn't safe for work for obvious reasons). Thousands of people participate in Portland's ride annually. I have zero desire to do it for multiple reasons (including that it doesn't sound physically comfortable), but the people I know who have done it enjoyed it (including someone I wouldn't have expected to report back good things).

I have heavy padding on my spin bike seat and still can't go more than 30 minutes without hurting. I just can't imagine that ride. Ouch. :#
  • RelCanonical

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

I have heavy padding on my spin bike seat and still can't go more than 30 minutes without hurting. I just can't imagine that ride. Ouch. :#

I used to looove the padding on my dad's old spin bike. It legit felt like a butt, almost disturbingly so, and was super wide so it was more like sitting on a padded seat rather than a bike seat.