how often do you weigh yourself?

trulyhealy
trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
sorry for another question but this will be the last as sometimes i can get quite obsessive but how often do you weigh yourself? i used to weigh myself once a week but i just watched a video where someone weighed their self every two weeks and do you think that's more effective?

Replies

• kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    it depends for obsessive people can be bad to weigh daily. Weigh in daily with proper mindset can be helpful, you can see the trend. Easily you can compare if you are on track when weigh daily. Its not a end of world if you ate at deficit and you see spike in weight and know its water, and food in digestive track.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Typically I weigh daily or 5x per week and track my weight with a trend app
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    What works for you may not be what works for me. I weigh myself every day and track my weight on a trending app. Weighing only every couple of weeks wouldn't give me enough data.
  • mitzib1973
    mitzib1973 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2019
    I weigh every morning. It syncs with MFP and keeps me motivated.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I weigh every morning. I like to see how things that I ate day before affect my weight.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    every morning. which i note in a spreadsheet and average that past 7 days.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    daily
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    sorry for another question but this will be the last as sometimes i can get quite obsessive but how often do you weigh yourself? i used to weigh myself once a week but i just watched a video where someone weighed their self every two weeks and do you think that's more effective?

Effective for what? Personally, I think the more data points you have, the better analysis can be performed. I usually weigh in 2-3 times per week. But this all depends on whether or not normal and natural fluctuations *kitten* with your head...they shouldn't, but apparently they do for a lot of people.
  • cortivez
    cortivez Posts: 1 Member
    daily or every 2 days... it keeps me on track.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i weigh daily.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    When I'm actively losing (or gaining) I weigh daily every morning nekkid after peeing as soon as I wake up. I keep trend app (Happy Scale) to monitor loss/gains.

I log in my "official" weigh-in on MFP every Friday morning, just because of habit from when I used to have a coach and weigh-in was on a Friday.

When i'm maintaining I weigh once a week on the Friday morning just out of habit.

You really really to detach yourself from the number on the scale though - and that can be quite challenging. Overnight you can gain a kilo or more for no apparent reason, but that's the the trend app helps in the long run.

Do what you think is best for you. Some people can't handle the fluctuations of the scale.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    I used to check the scale every week but now it’s 2-3 weeks. I prefer to see inches lost than scale numbers.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    If I have a scale, I get too obsessive, so I take pictures, take measurements, have inspiration clothes. I only weigh when I get forced to at the doctor's.

Actually been thinking about getting a scale... Because, I see everyone on friends list getting weight loss posted...

I'd have to set strict rules for myself to only weigh maybe once a month, possibly every two weeks.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Every morning as soon as I take off my pyjamas.
  • andrewc420
    andrewc420 Posts: 8 Member
    A lot!! I always think about where I started at and it gets me pumped!! #weightlose
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Every day & enter the number into an old HP programmable calculator. Then, once a week, the calculator gives me an average, which I record in MFP.
    This allows me to see a trend, but avoids large fluctuations on the weight graph. Makes it easier to read.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I weigh daily and use a trend app, it doesn't suit everyone though as the fluctuations can freak you out - I completely understand my readings but still get frustrated when it goes up a little. This week I had a large, late meal on Sunday and went up 1.8lb overnight (it wasn't fat, it was food and water) as of this morning I've lost 2.3lb since then.
    Losing weight is very much patience and understanding your body, you pick the tools that you think will help you the most.
    I would suggest trying new methods for a while and see how get on.
  • mfoltz588
    mfoltz588 Posts: 18 Member
    Once a week for me