Apple Cider Vinegar

13»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    well, yes, and it is good on pulled pork too and all the other uses people mention in these threads.

But he said his wife claims it works - so am wondering what she thinks it works for.

For weight loss. And it's more convenient and less shocking to the tastebuds than the liquid one.

How does it aid in weight loss?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    well, yes, and it is good on pulled pork too and all the other uses people mention in these threads.

But he said his wife claims it works - so am wondering what she thinks it works for.

For weight loss. And it's more convenient and less shocking to the tastebuds than the liquid one.

In your wife's experience?

Ok I accept different things can help different people - It is still CICO but if the taste of this or the mental placebo effect or the chewing for 10 minutes, or whatever, helps you eat less, then,sure it works for you.

How do you or your wife think it works for her?

• paperpudding
    Ok. So the effect is unknown.

There are many people who don't exercise and aren't careful about eating but do lose weight - obviously they are still eating in a calorie deficit but are managing to do so without tracking it.

I doubt the ACV tablets are doing anything - but if they somehow help you achieve a calorie deficit that's good.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    aidydh wrote: »
    aidydh wrote: »
    I drink 2 tb spoons mixed with water in the morning or Kombucha before breakfast. Helps me with digestion.

This is how apple cider vinegar can be helpful to the body, by providing probiotics similar to kombucha. You would have to make sure the kind you are using was raw like Bragg's, for example. Otherwise it would not have any live cultures in it.

To gain the probiotic benefit, it needs to be taken on an empty stomach about 30 minutes before a meal.

It doesn't help with weight loss, but can help regulate your digestive system.

rgqtsbhtzvda.jpg

Citation:
    https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/health-and-wellness-articles/2018/august/debunking-the-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar

If the apple cider vinegar is pasteurized and not raw, it will kill off the good bacteria. Let me know if you need a citation for that too.

Among other things, why do you need to "take" it 30 minutes before a meal? The article you cite provides exactly no support for that claim.

I think cultured/fermented foods are beneficial and so vinegar may be for that reason too (need not be apple cider vinegar, although that one is best with pork and good with collards too, I prefer balsamic or white wine vinegar in a salad dressing). But I am unaware of some rule that sauerkraut or kimchi or yogurt or what not should be eaten separately 30 mins before a meal, and am skeptical that this is a common practice, so why the difference with ACV?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Wow!! Didn't realize this product was so controversial. I can only say my weight had stagnated, then begun an upward trend. Now I'm seeing it coming back down again.
  • paperpudding
    Highly unlikely the ACV made any direct contribution to that.

If it somehow impacted on your CICO, by placebo effect making you more adherent to your diet or suppressing your appetite or something, I guess it could work..

As of course could any other placebo.
  • kuksabs
    kuksabs Posts: 55 Member
    I drink a tablespoon of Bragg's AVC in a glass of water to prevent kidney stones daily. I am prone to getting kidney stones and ACV is the only thing that helps in dissolving stones as soon as I get an attack. It has never helped with weight loss or anything else.
  • darshemail
    darshemail Posts: 18 Member
    I take a tablespoon of acv with a glass of water when I can't control my cravings. It kills my hunger spells so I eat less. It does make me feel full and stop thinking about food...maybe it's a mental thing??? I do this once a week when I feel the need.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I use it for a few things:
    Mixed with Dawn dish soap to clean my shower
    As a rinse for my hair
    To stop hiccups. When I get hiccups, they can last for days. The only thing I've ever found to stop them is a shot of vinegar.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    darshemail wrote: »
    I take a tablespoon of acv with a glass of water when I can't control my cravings. It kills my hunger spells so I eat less. It does make me feel full and stop thinking about food...maybe it's a mental thing??? I do this once a week when I feel the need.

Sounds good. Thanks for your success story.