Doing it different this time!!

Starting today I am going to do it different, with the help of MFP of course! I will begin by not reading all the "hype" about fad diets. I will stop searching the internet regarding diets such as keto, low carb, intermittent fasting, low sugar, whole 30 etc. I will not think of foods as good or bad. I will eat my favorite foods in moderation, as long as it fits into my daily calorie allowance. I will weigh and measure all my portions on a food scale. I will eat mindfully and only when I am hungry. I will drink a ton of water and walk my dog daily. I will incorporate 2 days of weight training a week.

In one month, September 12, 2019 I will report back and let you all know what happens. Who's with me?

Replies

• saggynaggy65
    saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
    Thankyou!
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Love that attitude! Add me as a friend if you like. I am doing the same thing minus the weights add swimming and another dog.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Good luck with your journey!

You sound like you're ready to commit to this.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    That sounds like an excellent plan.
  • kacahill320
    kacahill320 Posts: 51 Member
    hi, I'm doing MFP AGAIN!! But this time I'm going to do it everyday, I would be pretty good about doing my check-in then after a couple of days forget or get busy, so I have a note and every time I open my computer MFP is starring me right in the face and it's the very first thing I take care of, I even put it on my phone. I'm doing good this time and this is day 6. I have lost about 3lbs, I am accountable for every thing I put into my mouth and It feels great. I am looking forward to this discussion board where I'm hoping to have a "conversation" with others about the MFP. I really don't want to talk to family about it because they don't always agree with my way and then they are scrutinizing and offering advice about the food I do eat. I'm really excited this time.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    dmkumhyr wrote: »
    Starting today I am going to do it different, with the help of MFP of course! I will begin by not reading all the "hype" about fad diets. I will stop searching the internet regarding diets such as keto, low carb, intermittent fasting, low sugar, whole 30 etc. I will not think of foods as good or bad. I will eat my favorite foods in moderation, as long as it fits into my daily calorie allowance. I will weigh and measure all my portions on a food scale. I will eat mindfully and only when I am hungry. I will drink a ton of water and walk my dog daily. I will incorporate 2 days of weight training a week.

In one month, September 12, 2019 I will report back and let you all know what happens. Who's with me?

That's exactly what I am doing eating just what I normally enjoy but in moderation and smaller scales and so far it seems to be working as long as I log everything soni can tweak my supper to keep under my daily allowances.
    Good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Now that kind of attitude will get you places :smile:
    All the best.
  • saggynaggy65
    saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
    Thanks everyone for your incredible support! :)
  • kacahill320
    So far so good, it's been 6 days so far. My weight is fluctuating 2 lbs.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    Lost another lb this week getting there slowly, added extra exercises to help balance my food intake.
  • kacahill320
    I suck!! I was given an extra 1300 calories because I put down my busy work day as excersize and ate it all up and gained 3 lbs!! Help!! I'm never posting exercise again.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I suck!! I was given an extra 1300 calories because I put down my busy work day as excersize and ate it all up and gained 3 lbs!! Help!! I'm never posting exercise again.

@kacahill320 that 3lbs isn't fat, a pound of fat is equivalent to 3500 calories, so to gain that in fat you'd have had to have eaten 10500 calories above your maintenance intake.

What is more likely is that when you ate more, you consumed more carbs and sodium than normal which causes water retention and are digesting more food than normal.

e2f3xpk23irb.jpg
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    its like with household finance budget, if ya know where your money go its easier to control it.
  • kacahill320
    thanks tinkerbellang83, I feel a lot better, I like the idea of water retention, how can I avoid water retention? Do I stay under the Sodium that MFP is suggesting?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    thanks tinkerbellang83, I feel a lot better, I like the idea of water retention, how can I avoid water retention? Do I stay under the Sodium that MFP is suggesting?

Get a good night sleep. Practice stress management.

However it will still happen for other reasons because it is a natural a normal function of the body. You should not actively try to control it unless it is causing a medical problem.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    speyerj wrote: »

Water, water, water. It seems counter intuitive, but the more water you drink, the less your body holds on to it. MFP recommends 64 oz a day. That's not nearly enough. To promote weightloss, you'll need to add at least 50 more oz a day plus more if you are over 150 pounds, and still more if you are doing a lot of cardio.

I'm drinking 170 oz a day and has made a significant difference.

The amount of fluids you need to drink is enough to stay hydrated. How much that is will change depending on how active you've been, if you ill, and a variety of different factors. Luckily the body has a terrific mechanism to regulate this called thirst!

You can double check your hydration level by the colour of your pee. "Pale Straw" coloured pee is an indication of good hydration. Dark pee means you're not drinking enough fluids and probably need to pay more attention to your thirst and clear/very pale pee means you're over-hydrating which comes with it's own set of health concerns.

Even if drinking more did cause you to 'hold less water' it's meaningless anyway. The body a fluctuating level of water depending on need so any "weight loss" you see due to forcing your body to drop to it's lower water levels is going to have a corresponding "weight gain" on the scales when the bodies water levels move back up again.

Water weight fluctuations are a complication to be accounted for, not a weight loss goal.