New ideas for pork loin?

madwells1
madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
Okay, I made a random decision to buy one of Costcos giant pork loins. Note that I am single and this thing is huge and taking up too much space in my freezer.

Also note that, not really thinking too much, I cut the thing into 1.5 inch pork loin chops (not the brightest move I know).

Other than pan frying or grilling the loins, does anyone have any other great ideas to use pork loin? Note that it is too lean I think for pulled pork, so I am pretty limited as far as braising, etc.

Remind me never to shop hungry!

Replies

• vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Cutting a boneless chop into 1/4" strips makes great stir fry. Also because pork loin is so lean and mild tasting, it can be used in most recipes that call for chicken breast.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Lawrys has a steak/chop marinade that works really well with pork loin.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I was gonna say cut some up into stir fry strips too! Just use different marinades with your steaks and then you will get some variety when you grill them.

Or chop into cubes even and make like a stew kinda thing with vegetables.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I think cutting it into chops is a great idea. First, pork loin is a nice lean meat, great for dieting. Second, I love cooking pork in a covered pot with onions, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, garlic, and whatever else is in the fridge. Cook the vegetables, and put them aside. Sear the pork, then pile the veggies back on, cover, and allow to cook to perfection. (Test with a thermometer.)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    I've made this in an air fryer, but imagine it would work on a cast iron grill pan if the weather is too warm to turn on the broiler as specified by the recipe.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vietnamese-pork-tenderloin
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    These are great ideas you guys, thanks!

I was worried that it would be too dry for stir fry, but I will play around with different marinades.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    I always brine them before cooking. 1/4 cup brown sugar with 1/4 cup kosher salt dissolved in enough water to cover chops. Brine for at least 1 hour, rinse and pat dry before cooking.

I like to grill the chops strait up or with barbecue sauce. Breading and baking is also delicious. Serve with a mash and gravy. Could grind some up and mix with a 70/30 ground beef to make meat balls.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Rolled / stuffed with prunes and green (soft) peppercorns with mixed salad.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I'm sure I've seen some recipes in the many Apple Cider Vinegar threads :lol:
  • anewghost
    anewghost Posts: 27 Member
    With 1.5 inch thick chops, you can fry them fat side down with no oil in the pan first(they should be able to stay vertical at 1.5 inches), then and sear them in the pork fat that renders out. They will probably need to finish in the oven if you like pork all the way done. Can do that with skin-on chicken thighs too.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    madwells1 wrote: »
    These are great ideas you guys, thanks!

I was worried that it would be too dry for stir fry, but I will play around with different marinades.

I stir fry lean cuts like pork tenderloin. Dry brining helps tenderize. That just means salting the normal amount you would use but doing that several hours in advance after slicing up into stir size pieces. My mother's technique of dredging the lean meat pieeces in cornstarch before frying keeps meat really tender. However, you need to use a really good non stick pan. I've done this easily in a stone coated pan and a season carboned steel wok. I've done this with considerable more difficulty in a stainless steel sautee pan where you either need to use quite a lot of oil or find yourself scraping off cornstarch baked on to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    You can do it in a crockpot. It’s lean, but works well for pulled pork. I make it with different sauces. BBQ and teriyaki are favs. I buy whole loins when they are on sale and cut them in half. Use 1/2 for a meal, and freeze half (there’s just two of us). Like others, I do a sweet and sour pork stir fry that’s a favorite. It’s not breaded, just simmered in a sweet and sour marinade. Really tender and tasty.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited August 2019
    This is by far my favorite pork loin recipe! You can substitute soy sauce for the coconut aminos. I see no reason why you can't make it using the chops instead of the whole loin. https://lowcarbyum.com/crock-pot-balsamic-pork-tenderloin/#wprm-recipe-container-21644
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Make chunky pork chili.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    A favorite fall meal of mine is to put pork loin or chops seasoned with salt and pepper in the crock pot with sliced apples and sliced onion and a sprig of thyme. Especially delicious with mashed potatoes and greens.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    One of my favorite pork loin recipes is a cajun seasoned loin cooked in an InstaPot! I found and tweeked the recipe on Pinterest.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I'm voting for Pork Loin Cloth. Most fashionable answer, obviously.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Carne Adovada
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Crock pot pork carnitas: https://damndelicious.net/2014/10/10/slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/ I've used leaner cuts and it still comes out good!

I've also used Alton Brown's "Who loves ya Baby Back?" recipe for pork other than ribs: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe-1937448
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    NOT a “diet” recipe by any stretch of the imagination, but absolutely delicious and I often make this when I buy a whole loin (and can cut the chops thick):

If you make it, really do it up and add some andouille to the stuffing.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/blackened-stuffed-pork-chops-recipe-1953610

I have also made a considerably less heart stopping (and diet friendlier) pork chop stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, onions, a little cheese/cream cheese to hold it together.