Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    My cutting phase starts today. I’ve been in recomp for 8 months now. Wish me luck!
  • leo05470
    leo05470 Posts: 1 Member
    Right now I’m cutting, at the final stage (then I’ll bulk). What I do specifically is eat and train how I want without Sabotaging Results. I also teach people how to do this so they can lose weight too while enjoying the foods that they love.

Cutting is pretty simple to me and comes naturally because I’ve spent many years perfecting my skill of losing weight. But pretty much what I do depends on how far along I go on a bulk. I usually go up to 13%-15% Bodyfat then drop down to 7-10% Bodyfat and repeat the process until I’m satisfied/reach a goal.

I mostly focus on nutrition since it is a huge chunk of how you lose weight.

If you want to know more about this, then message me or reply back on here.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    My coach told me this morning that he's going to have me bulk 30ish pounds after Nationals. That's gonna put me around 215 lbs! I'm not sure I can mentally handle it!

Wow, over what time frame?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    My coach told me this morning that he's going to have me bulk 30ish pounds after Nationals. That's gonna put me around 215 lbs! I'm not sure I can mentally handle it!

Allegedly October through May-ish.
  • steveko89

So around 1lb/week. Interesting. Bulking like that during the holidays would be fun.
  • quiksylver296

So around 1lb/week. Interesting. Bulking like that during the holidays would be fun.

I'm hoping he's just hyping me up to get my mind wrapped around it, and then we work a bit slower bulk. I've been chasing a 400 lb deadlift for almost 2 years now, and he's hoping more muscle mass will get me there.

But, yeah, the holidays will be easy peasy.
  • steveko89

I'm hoping he's just hyping me up to get my mind wrapped around it, and then we work a bit slower bulk. I've been chasing a 400 lb deadlift for almost 2 years now, and he's hoping more muscle mass will get me there.

I don't know the details on the federation you're competing with, what ramifications could that have on your weight class?
  • quiksylver296

I don't know the details on the federation you're competing with, what ramifications could that have on your weight class?

It's a bulk and cut plan, so I'll stay in the same weight class. USAPL. I'm currently 84 kg, and I don't want to compete against the 84+ gals. They are BEASTS!
  • I’ve been trying to recomp for 2 years and am getting a bit frustrated with slow or no progress. My lifts are going up but body changes are not apparent. So I have decided to try and lose 10lbs and see if I actually have any muscle base under the fat. Wish me luck. I’m a grumpy moo when I diet
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    @steveko89 veins & gains there Steve
  • steveko89
    Tic78 wrote: »
    @steveko89 veins & gains there Steve

Thanks, @Tic78.

I checked my records and that's actually about a 10 lb scale difference, ~166.5lbs in 2014, 174.5lbs last Tuesday. By best metrics I have available (per Skulpt handheld BIA deal) that's about 16.5% bodyfat to 12.25%.

I had a really nice stretch from late June to late August when I lost a solid 5 lbs down to averaging around 173. The last few weeks I've bounced back up to ~175; I could blame it on work travel but I just like food and got a little complacent. My wife even noted the irony in weighing everything to the gram but also pounding four oreos after dinner (also logged, just murders my deficit). My lifts have been stagnant for longer than I'd like to admit too. As the goal has been to get to ~10% since I wandered into this thread I think it's past due for me shift gears and get on a proper lean bulk even though I've never gotten as lean as I would like. If I go a little <1lb/month that should put me around 190 by the end of 2020 at call it 15% and it wouldn't take too much to drop back down to 12-13%. Thoughts? Right on? Totally misguided? I'd be happy to take some shirtless pics to post if that would help shape anyone's opinion.
  • Steve
    That’s great progress.

I’m trending down 2.5 lbs over last 30 days. Pleased with that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Hey everyone~! Hope you are all doing well. I will be back on the cutting train in a few weeks, just about 3 weeks post-partum here, thought I would pop in and say hi :) I don't know what my plan of action is yet... 3 kids is no joke and my new son is the worst sleeper of all of them so far, haha. I am about 15lbs away from "goal weight" but who knows how far from goal body comp.

@cupcakesandbarbellsfitness I hear you on the recomp. Don't get me wrong I have seen people with amazing progress with it, but personally for me I am much better doing bulk/cut cycles. Maybe try a very small deficit, like a hair below maintenance so you are cutting but it isn't too painful for you!

@steveko89 fantastic progress!! Visual changes are hard to see day to day but trying on the same clothes help. Keep up the great work.
  • sardelsa wrote: »
    Hey everyone~! Hope you are all doing well. I will be back on the cutting train in a few weeks, just about 3 weeks post-partum here, thought I would pop in and say hi :) I don't know what my plan of action is yet... 3 kids is no joke and my new son is the worst sleeper of all of them so far, haha. I am about 15lbs away from "goal weight" but who knows how far from goal body comp.

@cupcakesandbarbellsfitness I hear you on the recomp. Don't get me wrong I have seen people with amazing progress with it, but personally for me I am much better doing bulk/cut cycles. Maybe try a very small deficit, like a hair below maintenance so you are cutting but it isn't too painful for you!

@steveko89 fantastic progress!! Visual changes are hard to see day to day but trying on the same clothes help. Keep up the great work.

Congratulations. Glad everything went well and everyone is safe. Sorry to hear that your son is a bad sleeper. I remember your second was a pretty bad one at night too. Hope things improve. Congrats again.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    @AmbitiousButRubbish thank you! Yea he was but I think this one is worse? But that's ok trying to enjoy all the night cuddles as they grow up so fast ! :(<3
  • sardelsa wrote: »
    @AmbitiousButRubbish thank you! Yea he was but I think this one is worse? But that's ok trying to enjoy all the night cuddles as they grow up so fast ! :(<3

Easy to say that in the middle of the day. Hard to remember that at 3am haha. The cuddles are nice though. Today my youngest turns 1. Shes starting to give hugs on purpose and lots of kisses.
  • Aww Sardelsa congrats! Only 15lbs away is impressive. I put on about 60lbs with mine. And only 8 of that was the baby!
    I’m really glad there’s a few posting in this thread as it might make me stick to the plan. As opposed to giving up cos I hate dieting.