The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

A Sobering read...the health effects are staggering...and it is subtle in most cases although the article mentioned there are immediate negative effects from drinking alcohol. It also was an interesting comment of how one weekend of heavy drinking can cause cardiac arrhythmia also referred to as holiday heart syndrome contributing to other heart issues...in the weeks since my brother's death I've wondered how much alcohol may have contributed to his heart attack...there is definitely a family history of heart disease from his father's side, we have different dads, but I also know he liked to drink...he was a successful businessman who loved to entertain. Most of those who spoke at his life celebration mentioned "happy hour" around the lake where he lived & the many golf games which involved "drinks" & I also suspect that he drank to numb his pain from the past. It's a family trait.

Interesting pic of the wine glass knocked over with a bottle beside it depicting a skull & crossbones aka death symbol....fitting!!!

Thank you for sharing this article @RubyRed427 <3
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    @RubyRed427 Thank you for sharing that very sobering article.
  • lorrainequiche59
    "Think Healing Thoughts...when you feel anger or resentment ask God to help you feel it, learn from it and then release it. Ask him to bless those who you feel anger toward. Ask him to bless you too........When you think about others, thnik love. When you think about yourself, think love.

Then watch your thought transform reality....Today, I will think healing thoughts."

For anyone who has gotten Melody's book Letting Go, it is in part the affirmation for today. I'm going to use it for the basis for my prayer for the day and keep a bookmark in this page to remind myself that my thoughts shape my reality.

Hoping everyone here has a happy AF day and may you all think good thoughts about yourselves <3
  • farmermarx
    farmermarx Posts: 2 Member
    Sober living works for me! I like feeling hydrated lol
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    There was a very insightful and interesting interview between Anderson Cooper and Stephen Colbert on the other day. The part about grief and what is means to be human is very interesting. I was moved to tears actually. It is well worth watching. I am wishing you all a happy and sober Sunday.
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning friends! @FeelinFooFoo One day of drinking doesn't diminish the many days sober!! It also reminds us how awful hangovers are for many of us. Brutal. This week you'll feel better and be back on track. :)

Saw this article on NYT about going to weddings sober. I went last August to a sober wedding and although I did feel left out and faked a good time, the next morning, I was relieved I had no hangover.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/15/fashion/weddings/how-i-survived-wedding-season-in-my-first-year-of-sobriety.html

Cheers to a good Sunday! I'm heading to my last coffee morning with my daughter before she heads to college. I still plan on going to coffee on Sundays by myself, because it is a good incentive to stay sober Saturday nights!! Wishing you a happy day!
  • RubyRed427
    farmermarx wrote: »
    Sober living works for me! I like feeling hydrated lol

Good point!! :)
  • RubyRed427
    I didn't go to my AA meeting Tuesday eve. I was exhausted and actually asked myself what I needed more in order to take care of myself and that was a bit of a tough one...the one thought I had was, "I "should" go to my AA meeting" and another was, "I need to chill out and not do one more thing" My dilemma was following through on my commitment to get to my AA meeting regularly, BUT the conflict was with committing to taking care of myself by not piling SO much into one day...It was my first full week back at work in several weeks and I had to pile 3 jobs into 2 days with another 2 piled into the following day...my dog had been at home for the entire day alone and going to AA meant another 2 hours on his own which is not fair to him (I know to some who don't care for pets this may seem ridiculous, but for those who do have pets you get it) AND grief is exhausting!!!! SO I opted out of AA to soak in a tub and get to bed early. AND that's ok!!

Sometimes it's ok to not "should" ourselves, in fact the "shoulds" can indicate something is amiss if we are "shoulding ourselves" into exhaustion...that is not productive! This week I know that I NEED to get to my AA meeting and am planning my day accordingly so that I am able to do that.

Yes, sometimes adding one more thing to a full plate can be a tipping point. You will go to AA this week when you have more energy. Also, just read the big book for a few minutes and that can be helpful if you can't attend a meeting. One more thing, I found AA speeches on youtube. Love them! I search for "funny, humorous AA speeches" and usually find an inspirational one. My favorite speaker is Sister Bea (A Catholic nun)...her tale is funny.
  • RubyRed427
    Thanks for the support ❤ really appreciate it! Looking forward to a sober week. Free of hangovers!

(Sambuca shots and jeager bombs are rotten, next time I'l have a shot of water instead!) That's the plan. 👍

Jaeger always kills me - worst hangover - yes judgement free zone here on this thread 💙
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Morning friends,yep Lorraine summer is on the move but there are still some warm days to enjoy or as the case in Vegas,hide out! Threads been pretty quiet lately,it's hard to post when there's no conversation going,it's been like that on my anti alcohol forum too, people are just basically posting about the weather and it's gotten stale😣 a few ladies in my group started a fb messenger chat and we basically go there instead and have closed our thread on the site cuz it's just ran it's course,very sad but it wasn't attracting new people and like I said had gotten mundane,I really hope that doesn't happen here,anyhoo wishes for a fab AF day ❤️
  • lorrainequiche59
    One of the themes last eve was "acceptance" and as I listened to the women speak about what that meant for them, I wondered what that meant for me. So I've decided to take this week to find that out. I'm using the Letting Go book and reading a blurb or two a day cause there are 9 on acceptance of various things listed in the index.

Today's is not in order of listing in the book, It's entitled "Accepting OURSELVES" cause I think that is one of my biggest hurdles is to accept myself exactly as I am right now, this second...with all my feelings, thoughts, flaws, wants, needs, and desires.

She begins the blurb by highlighting a woman who was driving one day & noticed the licence plate of the vehicle in front of her, "BE-WHO-UR" ... "How can I?" she thought, "I don't know who I am." She then goes on to relate the reason some of us may be confused about who we actually are because for so long we have submerged ourselves in the needs of others (does that sound familiar to anyone...?) She goes on to say that being who we are means accepting our physical selves as well as our mental, emotional and spiritual selves, for now...she then goes on to mention many other things we work to accept and then ends with this:

"Being who we are, loving & accepting ourselves is not a limiting attitude. Accepting and loving ourselves is how we enable growth and change"

I remember saying to someone recently that if I could have looked into the future at one of my low points in life to see where I am in my life right now, I would be ok with this right here, right now, but as I sit here right here, right now, I play this tape in my head many times throughout my day that tells me I'm not ok with this right here, right now...SO it's time to count my blessings one more time and also think about the things I'm not ok with presently and see how I can make it ok, for now, to "accept" this is how it is!! AND it is OK!!

I hope all of us can work at accepting where we are in this process of ridding ourselves of the self-destructive habit of drinking alcohol and feel good about how far we've come as opposed to how far we need to go. Where we are right NOW is OK!!! <3