WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Another busy day.

Wordpress meeting this morning where I learned how to do several more things. Hopefully that will get me going in the right direction again.

Then a little bit of shopping, but the shopping centre was so busy we didn't stay long. My husband doesn't tolerate crowds at all well. I can zip in and out and cover a lot of ground very quickly even if the place is crowded, but he grinds to a halt so that I'm practically dragging him. Crowds stop him in his tracks.

Then we went for a nice walk along a beach we haven't visited since before his accident. It brought back a lot of memories for him and it was also interesting to see some of the development along there ... quite a playground now! But the walk was good ... in the sunshine, looking out over the water, watching the birds and then stopping to watch a seal swimming around out there. :)

Then it was onward to his favourite hardware store ... and finally home again.

I've done some paperwork tonight getting ready for a meeting on Monday and I think I'm going to keep working on my website before I forget what I learned today.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    The fear of something happening to one of our jobs should not drive our budget decisions. It should, however, drive the amount we have in an emergency fund

Happy Saturday!
    Love,
    Lisa

Do your banks or insurance companies have "income protect"? I'm thinking of getting that with one of our organisations.

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2019
    Heather It's good of you to be generous with your old friend! Lunch at a restaurant is a great way to limit the time and still connect.

Kelly The spaceship sounds so cute! I love what you do with your kiddos!

Debby VA (((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,283 Member
    It's Saturday! <3

Janetr - sorry to hear about your knee!! I like what Terri said about we are like old cars that need parts replaced now and then. Of course we are the classic luxury models, right? B)

Rebecca - love that you keep us enthralled with photos of adorable Athena. She's not a baby anymore. I am always impressed with your budgeting and meal planning.

Heather
    - that pre-birthday lunch sounds wonderful. We'll hold off on our celebration until end of September, lol.

Barbie
    - good for you standing your ground about keeping your dance class - dance only. I even cringe when I see the petition tables set up in front of Walmart, I don't want to have to deal with their latest cause. The majority of my friends are actually opposite of me on many issues, and I am so lucky we respect each other and there really are many more things that unite us instead of divide us that we focus on, and those things bring us joy.

[b]Telephones[/b] - we keep the landline because we don't phone a lot of folks and have no need to text when email serves much the same purpose. The phone quality on the landline is much better than cellphones. In the case of an earthquake or major disaster, the landlines will continue to work when the cell towers become overwhelmed or line of sight is swayed. If we call 911, we are guaranteed our address and location will be correct for aid/police/fire to be dispatched to our home. I sometimes think it would be a good idea to get a smartphone for when the power goes out to be able to check the news and email since our internet is wi-fi. No power=no internet, email, etc. but the landline still works. Landline is cheap and part of the bundle. Who knows, we may change our mind at some point.

Lisa
    - I enjoyed reading your thought process. I'm a big fan of writing down pro's and con's when dealing with something, and letting the pot soak for a few days before making any decisions. I think the act of just putting it on paper activates the problem solving part of the brain.

Kelly
    - Trentin's situation is intriguing and sad. His mom should have let you know what was up. I know the income is important but I am so happy when I read that you have a weekend that's not encumbered by having your charge arriving before the crack of dawn at times. Is there a chance you can pick up an extra weekday child?

Ginny in Ohio - thanks for the info about anti-nausea patch. Yes, why this hernia after 7 years.... it's a puzzle. I've had pain in that area for years, thought it was adhesions or scar tissue so maybe it never healed right to begin with. Actually had an ultrasound a couple years after the surgery and nothing showed up. I gained a few pounds of belly fat this past year, (BMI is 24) and remember feeling something pinch and kind of tear this past spring when I was lugging around a big bag of potting soil. I have a friend who is going through the same thing, and she's quite a bit overweight. I just want it to be better than new. Sigh. Recovery/restricting lifting and such will be hard for me, so much to do around here that I enjoy garden wise. It's going to be a busy week. My DH will help but he needs instruction and my patience wears thin, lol.

Debby in VA - what a blessing that you live in the same geographical area as your daughter and can provide a safe temporary home and support to her and her son.

Coffee - trying hard to keep it to 2 cups of caffeinated just for the sake of my tummy. I use coffee as a pain-killer if that makes sense... when I wake up with a headache, a cup of coffee sets it right about 99% of the time thanks to the caffeine.

I found a new series to binge on. "The Sinner" on Netflix. I'm done with the 2 seasons created so far. Bill Pullman in a very different role than he usually plays. I liked season 2 the best and hope they keep filming.

Ok, I need to get going. Make it a great day <3

Lanette
    Cool & rainy (surprise) SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    edited August 2019
    Lisa great attitude. Smart to have an emergency fund in this day and age. We have had flush times and lean times throughout out 30 plus years together. During the flush times I make sure we sock extra away. During lean times I immediately starting looking at ways to cut costs wherever I could. I don't need to sub now, but I still sub enough to keep my foot in the door if I need to work more I will.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    2559661yoxeq9fisc.gif
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    Lisa: Very impressive example of flipping perspectives!
    Lanette: Goes without saying that we are luxury classics.

☘️
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Janet OK ~ So sorry to hear about your knee slipping. I had no idea that could happen. It did come to my mind that perhaps you have been over-exercising. I am doing squats, knee bends and stretches and sometimes hurt too much the next day to do them.

Rebecca ~ Athena warms all of our hearts. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Barbie ~ Sorry to hear that there is a bad apple trying to interrupt the thing that makes you very happy...your line dancing class.

Lisa ~ You have come up with so many good reasons that will help you get over your underlying anxiety about a new supervisor. Over the 30+ years that I taught, there were many different principals who all had different management skills. The teachers under them had to adjust or move on to another school.

Debbie ~ Prayers that your daughter will have the courage and strength to leave the abusive situation. Glad that you are helping her and hope you find her a place to live quickly. My dad was physically abusive to my mom and we never knew what to expect. They finally divorced after 37 yrs of marriage.

Thanks to all who have mentioned my BnL's situation. They took the breathing tube out yesterday and hope to get him out of CICU within the next few days. I can't imagine how worried his wife and children are feeling.

Going to go mop the kitchen...the Pom had a bad stomach yesterday and messed all over the floor. He is off his feed. He wants to only eat meat and won't touch dry/canned dog food or any other kinds of food. I've put a package of canned food in his bowl and hope he will get hungry enough to eat it soon. He is spoiled! :#

Carol in GA

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Need booster seat for JR he’s outgrown his high chair early! One holds 70lbs. Another Graco 60 lbs but max 100lbs according to Amazon but Walmart claims 50 lbs so which is it? Researching on going but got to act quick he woke up taller today!
    w2g0xxvktfpa.jpeg
    4ee9j07r2brd.png

Debby VA - When she leaves be at court every time y go with her to CPS/APS etc when she chokes on her words speak up! My Dad finally realized I needed that he started speaking I felt courage to speak again. My Uncle y him went to court every time. Getting a good lawyer helps too I had one who was so sweet y even listened to my Daughter play guitar. He even grabbed my hand under the table when I shook.
    Amber Tx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    🍁
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    A must see about marriage with Downsyndrome (similar to Autism marriages when to the extreme) My Mom was child like but Dad y her love was sitting on the couch talking sharing a tv program. Watch y learn more than you can see with just your eyes.
    Amber Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited August 2019
    Oh boy! I'm knackered!
    Made the bed, put out towels. Cooked the very complicated starter for tomorrow (why did I pick that? :sad: ) , cooked most of tomorrow's main, baked the GF yoghurt and chocolate chip loaf. Prepared today's veg. Trimmed my mint plant which had been taking over the kitchen. :D
    I'm done. I'm hoping all that burnt a few bonus calories as I can't face any more exercise!
    The starter is a new one I got from the newspaper. Aubergine, chick pea, tomato and red onion salad, with a green tahini drizzle. Hope it's worth it!
    Main is chicken with preserved lemon and olives.
    Dessert is mango sorbet with a lime and mint dust.
    The loaf is looking good, so I hope it tastes great. I will give it to her with a cup of tea or coffee when she arrives just after lunch time. We will have eaten, (she told us to), but I want to offer her something before we go out for a walk. It's possible that DH will go to watch Sussex play cricket tomorrow. He is definitely going up to London to watch Hampshire at the Oval on Monday with his BMF, so I will have my friend to myself some of the time. I have bought him stuff to make sandwiches so it's easy for him to go. :D>:)

Normally DH washes up, but because it is my friend coming, and his nose is out of joint, I did the washing up myself. It was a mountain and very greasy! Exhausting! He would never admit to it, but sometimes when people are coming who are important to me he gets mildly grumpy. He is always charming to them! They think he's wonderful. He doesn't like his space invaded. When he is about to see his own family he sometimes gets anxious and wakes in the night.

I will do a final tidy up and quick clean tomorrow morning.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx