In your 60’s

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member
    tuddy315 wrote: »
    Well, my roommates parents were here for the weekend. They bring all kinds of junk when they come....donuts, cookies, pies, etc. Usually I can't resist. This weekend I DID! I got on the scale this morning and I didn't gain anything. I did however, have one ice cream cone.

Well done
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Looks like everyone here is doing great, keeping sweets to a minimum, recovering from falls & not falling into the roommate trap with all the junk food..............Great job everyone!

I'm still fighting a bit of Vertigo but improving everyday. My doc said no gym until next week at the earliest, depending on how I feel, but I can walk my dog as long as I have a ride if I need it....LOL I think I can count on my husband for that.

Hope you all have a great week. I'm eating at a kind of low maintenance level since my activity level is also lower, not my favorite position to be in though.

Hope everyone has a successful and enjoyable week. Save some time for good old fashioned fun!

• lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    I did meet my Goal Weight #0 in July. I am working in August and September to meet GW#2. The weight is dropping off slowly. I have got my lower saturated fat macro mastered and working on mastering my the carb macro my Dr gave me. I am having trouble meeting my protein macros on a vegetarian diet, so as soon as get carbs mastered that will be next focus.

I have gotten brave since the end of July and began taking a a body measurement, my waist. It's down 3/4" in 3 wks.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    @evamutt sounds like a great party. I envy your willpower!! Right now, I’m glad I don’t have to test mine yet. I need another week or so seeing progress!
    @iamomx2. You did well resisting that second piece! I am trying to remember that these are lifelong habits,l too. I want to be healthy as well as thinner.
    @fitlulu4150. Thanks for the kind words. I am going to have to have my knee checked out from that fall. I walk our road all the time but this was my first fall. Hoping it’s just a pulled muscle.
    @rimtorimgoal. So glad you are joining! They are such a great group!!
  • annliz23
    A hard day today, lost weight and feeling great tried tae bo was really good not done it in years and feel so energised but can feel my hip getting sore and knee feels tight it's so frustrating wanting to do more but having to rest.😥
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    The usual Thursday workout. Deadlifts and bench presses. That went fine.

Also did 20 reps pushing the prowler on the turf. I usually do these every minute on the minute, but I was gassed and had to rest a couple of times. No matter - I did not stop until I had done all 20.
  • rhondamacleod1958
    rhondamacleod1958 Posts: 88 Member
    Hi everyone - I'm new to this board, but have been floating around MyFitnessPal for a few years. I was diagnosed in February 2019 as Type 2 Diabetic. I am on medication for this, however, I am adamant that with diet and exercise I will be able to stop taking them (with my Doctor's approval of course) I've learned a tremendous amount about what I thought were relatively healthy food choices and realized was it's time to take it seriously, eat sensibly and within my newly imposed carb restriction on each meal (35netg) and exercise. I now have a gym buddy and we try to make it there 3 - 4 times a week. I am currently setting up a spare bedroom in my home as an alternative/addition to the gym. I am looking forward to a little accountability with what I am doing. :)
  • annliz23
    Hi everyone - I'm new to this board, but have been floating around MyFitnessPal for a few years. I was diagnosed in February 2019 as Type 2 Diabetic. I am on medication for this, however, I am adamant that with diet and exercise I will be able to stop taking them (with my Doctor's approval of course) I've learned a tremendous amount about what I thought were relatively healthy food choices and realized was it's time to take it seriously, eat sensibly and within my newly imposed carb restriction on each meal (35netg) and exercise. I now have a gym buddy and we try to make it there 3 - 4 times a week. I am currently setting up a spare bedroom in my home as an alternative/addition to the gym. I am looking forward to a little accountability with what I am doing. :)

My husband had type 2 diabetic and was on medication for years he used to get really poorly, shakes, sweats etc.. but I got him out walking and eating better also finding eating times that work for him ie he has a few biscuits an hour before we go to bed it keeps his blood sugar up and now he has come off his tablets but I closely monitor him.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 wrote: »

My husband had type 2 diabetic and was on medication for years he used to get really poorly, shakes, sweats etc.. but I got him out walking and eating better also finding eating times that work for him ie he has a few biscuits an hour before we go to bed it keeps his blood sugar up and now he has come off his tablets but I closely monitor him.

Please note that you MUST check with your doctor if you change anything.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    My husband was also diabetic type 2 for 10+ years & used the insulin pump, he's been off insulin for couple years now that he's lost the extra weight. He actually weighs less now that when we got married
  • iamomx2
    iamomx2 Posts: 21 Member
    "Avoid eating too sweet, too fat and too much."
    I like this.
    Scales down again this morning.
  • annliz23
    Have a great weekend!
  • fitlulu4150
    Hi everyone. Sounds like another great week for the over 60 group. Lots of people overcoming diabetes with weight loss and exercise. That must be so encouraging for others facing the same diagnosis.

I was able to overcome high blood pressure through weight loss so that's another exciting outcome for some of us trying to move beyond relying on medications to keep us healthy. I'm happy to say that I am prescription free at 69 and most of my doctors seem surprised by that but can't find anything to prescribe for me. :)

I know a lot of us suffer from osteoarthritis as well and for me the best RX for that is to keep moving. The longer I sit the worse I feel. I found a new recipe for an anti-inflammatory shake I'm going to try once I get over this vertigo and make it back to the gym and I'll share it with all of you. I generally drink a protein shake before my workouts so will try this one and add a little greek yogurt and my organic rice protein. I'm a firm believer in "you are what you eat".

The first 4 ingredients are known as anti-inflammatory foods.

• 1/2 cup pineapple
    • 1/4 tsp. turmeric
    • 1/4 tsp. ginger
    • 1/4 cup frozen papaya
    • coconut water (enough to cover ingredients)
    • honey, as needed
    Combine the pineapple, turmeric, ginger, papaya, coconut water, and honey in a blender. Blend until smooth. I'm not sure a blender will do well with the pineapple but if you have a Ninja type blender that will work!

Hope you all have a great weekend and stay true to your goals but have a little fun in the meantime!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    I’ve been doing one of the ten day challenges on MfP. Basically, we are just logging our weight and commenting. The challenge has been motivating because all of us are dealing with the fluctuations that we see as we weigh in. Knowing I’m doing the best I can most days helps me keep going even when i see a “gain” due to new exercise or more carbs. I have a lot to lose, so this keeps me realizing that what I’m doing IS working even though I wish it would be instantaneous!
  • Talk about fluctuations. Got on the scale and found I've gained 5 pounds since the 5th. Really can't understand it.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Talk about fluctuations. Got on the scale and found I've gained 5 pounds since the 5th. Really can't understand it.

Lots of good info in this link.
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Also - Consider using a trending app like Libra or HappyScale. Helps you see if you are headed in the right direction, even when your weight fluctuates wildly.
  • annliz23
    Talk about fluctuations. Got on the scale and found I've gained 5 pounds since the 5th. Really can't understand it.

Lots of good info in this link.
    http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Also - Consider using a trending app like Libra or HappyScale. Helps you see if you are headed in the right direction, even when your weight fluctuates wildly.

Thanks very interesting link!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I use Trendweight on my desktop computer for averages.
  • fitlulu4150
    I use Happy Scale on my iPhone and it's very helpful. After almost 6 years (Sept 17 is my Fitversary), I don't worry too much about the day to day fluctuations but look at the week by week ones! And when you're down to the last few lbs, looking at the month to month numbers is really all we can do.