Had an ablation and IUD procedure

Hey all! This is a question for the ladies. Has anyone here had an ablation done and an IUD inserted and had problems with losing weight no matter your diet and exercise? I had heard that it takes months for your body to regulate and it's hard to lose weight. Just wanted to see if anyone here has experienced that.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I had a cardiac ablation done. Are you referring to another kind?
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Uterine ablation. Sorry I should have specified
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    edited August 2019
    Have you already had these done? My doctor wouldn’t do an ablation without tying my tubes (she specifically would not do it with just an IUD.) I didn’t want that done so I just have an IUD (which solved my heavy period problem.)
    This is my second IUD. The first one I was not overweight with at all but when I had it removed (to get pregnant) I instantly lost four pounds, which was probably the hormones causing me to retain water. (Edited to add: I am 5’8” and went from 130 lbs to 126lbs, so not overweight at all! I had the IUD for three years)
    That said, for various other reasons I gained weight, but I haven’t had trouble losing weight with my next IUD since I started counting macros and actually weighing my foods. But those two things were the key for me. I made lots of excuses (I also have no thyroid due to cancer and had trouble finding the correct medication dosage for about six years.) Weighing my food made ALL the difference. I could see how much I was actually eating.
    Highly recommend looking up how to count macros, using a macro calculator like the one at legion athletics website, and starting to weigh the food you are eating if you want to see good progress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    If you are referring to a hormonal IUD like Mirena, there have been threads about women having numerous difficulties with those.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=&title=Mirena&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    No ablation, but I've had 3 Mirenas, and I've been on progestin-heavy treatments for endometrial hyperplasia since I got my kidney transplant 19 years ago. No problems losing weight, but some problems with consistency due to increased hunger. A lot of water retention every month, too. Honestly, I just don't want a uterus anymore because it's useless and faulty...
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    I have noticed increased hunger for sure! 🤔
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I can't have any hormonal birth control because they all not only make me crazy but make me eat/retain water/ and in one case, when Dr tried me on a pill that was more testosterone heavy, I punched my then boyfriend in the face because he was annoying me while I was trying to watch Beverly Hills 90210 (showing my age, yes).

I am not violent in general and had never hit anyone ever before.

It felt great though to smash him in the face.

I use the copper IUD due to all my lack of success with hormones.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm on my second Mirena. I honestly can't say if that is to blame for my hunger or not, but as long as I stick to my goals/numbers/workouts/calories I have no problem losing. Hunger is a problem, but that was a problem before Mirena when my job activity (moved from a very active job type to sitting at a desk all day) plummeted, and basically my hunger has never really adjusted to my lowered activity levels.

Regular workouts and activities help me get enough calorie alottment in a day that I feel less hungry overall, but when I'm successfully losing weight I will be hungry every single day, and pretty darn hungry the last couple hours before meal time.

The IUD itself didn't seem to make much difference - I put on the weight before I got my first one, and have had no trouble losing since then if I stick to to my numbers.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Hi Lynda, if you don't mind sharing or messaging me. I'm looking for someone who has had cardiac ablation done and can really tell me what it is like. Did you have this for VT or Pvcs? Did it hurt afterwards, could you return to work? Did it help? I've of course spoken with my doctor and seen the pamphlets, but would like to know from someone who has actually had it done. Thanks.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    It depends what kind of IUD. A hormonal IUD can hypothetically cause weight gain. A Paraguard IUD has no hormones and won’t affect weight at all. A lot of weight gain with hormonal birth control is due to water retention. Hormonal IUDs have very low doses of hormones and aren’t particularly known for causing weight gain like some pills or Depo. Ablation has no affect on weight.
  • naturegirldebbie
    naturegirldebbie Posts: 11 Member
    I had an abation done and as long as I follow plans faithfully, I have not had trouble losing.
  • Mermaid828
    Mermaid828 Posts: 2 Member
    I had an uterine ablation, d and c and and myosure on 9/4/20. I have retained some fluid thus far for sure. I’m hoping with consistency that Will go away. I have been keeping a log of symptoms other than weight gain/loss to communicate with my doctor
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2020
    I had a Mirena for a couple years (well, two of them - first one went through my uterus, had an early miscarriage and that’s how they found it... second one was great for a couple years until it failed in a big way with sudden softball size blood clots, they think I had started some kind of an infection). Ended up with an ablation and tubal to buy me time because a hysterectomy before the age of 30 freaked me out, but then a full hysterectomy a few years later (2018)... I don’t remember any significant weight gain in either Mirena or ablation case. I had birthed 4 children at that point (plus a couple miscarriages) so my weight had fluctuated quite a bit through the years. Maybe 10 pounds? Post hysterectomy (plus one ovary) I gained 15 in a year though 🙄 - there was other stuff going on so who knows. After a year on MFP is am pretty much at pre pregnancy weight (2006), but my body definitely has changed :lol:

ETA: I see now this is an older thread - whoops! Oh well!