Boy when I think back to how much and what I used to eat!

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
Now that I have lost 72 pounds over the past 13 months or so and I think back to how much and what I used to eat I almost get sick. Mindless eating, over eating, and just plain eating horribly. When I got home from work it was like bonkers time with eating. Didn't think about calories or how much fat, didn't even know what marcos were. Boy I wonder just how many calories, fat, sugar, carbs I was taking in back then. If I had to guess, 4,000 a day? Maybe more? Just glad I got the message and changed all that. 10 more pounds to my goal and feeling great! God I love dressing like a normal person again in clothes that fit and look good. Sorry, just rambling now.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Well done. It's exciting reading success stories. Thanks for sharing your insight.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I didn’t eat so much, but boy could I drink Coke! And coke floats! And Coke and milk!
  • OAS5
    I didn’t eat so much, but boy could I drink Coke! And coke floats! And Coke and milk!

Soda will do it for sure. The sugar in those drinks as we know is sky high. I only drink water now as I think most people who have lost weight. Once in a while I'll leave a zero calorie flavored drink but that's not very often. Kirkland organic unsweetened vanilla almond milk is the only milk I drink too now. Decisions, decisions, decisions right.
  • MNNiceForLife
    MNNiceForLife Posts: 15 Member
    Awareness is the key...I don't think the majority of the population has any idea of what they are consuming and how much, portions sizes are out of control. So happy for you and your success! Feel free to friend me if you'd like! Good luck on your journey!!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    I was awful: truly addicted to fast food for a while there. I would use it as a mid-work-day de-stress ritual. I would get two or three different burgers or chicken sandwiches, plus large fries, dipping sauces, maybe even chicken nuggets too.

Then I would order takeout when I got home. Just way way way too much. I bet I was in the 5000 calorie range for many weekdays. And weekends were excuses to go out to eat multiple times.
  • deeamahiadzi
    deeamahiadzi Posts: 1 Member
    I had no idea just how much calories I was doing until I started USING MFP a month ago.
    Looking back I was doing 3500-4000 calories a day and sitting on my butt for most of the day.
    I can most certainly see the different now.... My clothes are less tight.
  • OAS5
    Awesome replies guys, awesome information. The key we can say is education and awareness. Understand what all those numbers on the back of food packages mean, what they tell you.
    Is it not, what, 3500 calories over your maintenance calories equals 1 pound. When I think of that way it seems insane how many calories I was taking in then. I mean what the heck was I doing. I have a pretty physical job too.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Yes! The same with me! When I started CICO, I thought no wonder I had gained so much weight so fast. Especially during pregnancy. I would sit and watch my shows while eating milk and cookies without giving any thought to finishing off the bag. I don't feel full or satisfied easily, so I could easily consume over 4000 calories a day.

• LillyStar24
    LillyStar24 Posts: 77 Member
    edited August 2019
    Totally relateable! When I started logging my food, I was in SHOCK at my calorie counts. I couldn't comprehend that number, didn't understand how or why I was eating so much. I was so embarassed. I've managed to lose 28lbs so far, with another 28 to go.

ETA: Congrats to the OP! Thats an awesome loss!
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2019
    I used to eat out for almost every meal and supersize everything. :# AND I'd still be hungry not long after and get the shakes constantly. I used to eat in anticipation of feeling hungry or shaky. How bad it that, smh. I feel so amazing now.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Now that I have lost 72 pounds over the past 13 months or so and I think back to how much and what I used to eat I almost get sick. Mindless eating, over eating, and just plain eating horribly. When I got home from work it was like bonkers time with eating. Didn't think about calories or how much fat, didn't even know what marcos were. Boy I wonder just how many calories, fat, sugar, carbs I was taking in back then. If I had to guess, 4,000 a day? Maybe more? Just glad I got the message and changed all that. 10 more pounds to my goal and feeling great! God I love dressing like a normal person again in clothes that fit and look good. Sorry, just rambling now.

{{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}} You are sooooooo NOT alone, I was right there with you, especially the area I bolded. I'm SURE I was downing 4000+ cals per day, because I ate all kinds of stuff, from the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep--I was constantly eating and "snacking" all the blasted time. I just as you say, "mindlessly" ate all day and night...I'm so GLAD those days are over. I now eat yummy stuff, including LOTS of so called "junk-foods", but the difference is now, I eat much smaller portions and less frequently through-out the day.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!