Share Your Day

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Did the slightly higher calorie thing today. Hamburger steak was on the menu.

Just spent the last 10 minutes trying to figure out why today was highlighted in my spreadsheet. I am sure I marked it for a reason but it is not clear to me what it is or was. It is not the 1 year anniversary of the spreadsheet because that is 6 days away. I see no milestone weight...

I just realized it. Today was the day I marked to drop my rate of loss to 2 pounds a week. I was at 2.25 to 2.35 before I scheduled the surgery and I had made the decision that I wanted a clear stopping place for my "moderately aggressive" phase. Guess that is not happening quite yet.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Today is day 105 and I have dropped 18.8 pounds. I seemed to have a really slow start, but I'm steadily dropping now.
  • NovusDies
    Today is day 105 and I have dropped 18.8 pounds. I seemed to have a really slow start, but I'm steadily dropping now.

@Americanbabydoll

That is great. It is an additional achievement that you have stayed with it even if you were not losing quite as fast as you wanted. 1.25 pounds per week though is an excellent result.

You have also passed by a time milestone of 3 months which is also a big deal. According to a survey most people stop before 3 months. I am not fond of "survey knowledge" but this one seems accurate based on my own previous habits and those of almost everyone I know.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    @NovusDies thank you for your insight. I finally feel like I am getting somewhere.
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies thank you for your insight. I finally feel like I am getting somewhere.

@Americanbabydoll

You definitely are!
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    I got my Vitamix this weekend & made a protein shake my sister-in-law has been telling me about. It tasted like chocolate peanut butter ice cream! I haven't figured out the Vitamix enough to get the consistency just right, but it still tasted great! I'm really excited to try the strawberry banana smoothie that should hide the taste of the spinach/kale mixture I got to include.

I knew work was going to get crazy starting this week, with the 9/15 tax deadline looming, so I packed all the food I plan to eat today & my workout clothes. We have a small "gym" in the building with free weights & some cardio machines & since it's still so freakin' hot outside (I think the muggy meter today was somewhere between sticky & gross), I thought maybe I could catch it empty before I head home. We'll see if I actually change clothes & get down there or if I just keep working later. Since it's easier to eat at home, I typically just wait to eat until then, but since I'll be working later & still wanting to try to get a minimum of 7 hrs of sleep 5 days a week, I figured I'd try bringing all my food with me & just making the smoothie when I get home. I'm thinking of doing things this way for the next month or so. We'll see how it works!
  • NovusDies
    jlucas210 wrote: »
    I got my Vitamix this weekend & made a protein shake my sister-in-law has been telling me about. It tasted like chocolate peanut butter ice cream! I haven't figured out the Vitamix enough to get the consistency just right, but it still tasted great! I'm really excited to try the strawberry banana smoothie that should hide the taste of the spinach/kale mixture I got to include.

I knew work was going to get crazy starting this week, with the 9/15 tax deadline looming, so I packed all the food I plan to eat today & my workout clothes. We have a small "gym" in the building with free weights & some cardio machines & since it's still so freakin' hot outside (I think the muggy meter today was somewhere between sticky & gross), I thought maybe I could catch it empty before I head home. We'll see if I actually change clothes & get down there or if I just keep working later. Since it's easier to eat at home, I typically just wait to eat until then, but since I'll be working later & still wanting to try to get a minimum of 7 hrs of sleep 5 days a week, I figured I'd try bringing all my food with me & just making the smoothie when I get home. I'm thinking of doing things this way for the next month or so. We'll see how it works!

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Hopefully it works out for you.
  • NovusDies
    I didn't have such a hot day today. Well the weather was hot but I was having one of my hungry days which is always surprises me when it happens on Monday after I have eaten more food the day before.

I sailed past my goal by 340 calories. That was pretty irresponsible since I don't have a lot of maneuvering room to hit my surgery goal. In the grand scheme of things that is .10 pounds which would would only be a factor if I was so close I was counting on it to round me down instead of up.

If I have one of my lower hunger days I can probably take some of that back but otherwise I am probably going to let it go. My only other choice is to deduct it from Sunday but I am reluctant to do that because I count on that little extra eating to keep me from chewing nails.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Yesterday, Sunday, I avoided the scale. Saturday I went out and ate a huge meal. Not that I ate enough to gain 5 lbs but I figured I might have eaten enough salt too. I really dont want to see a 4 on that scale again. Thankfully today the scale was nice to me, the number went up but still started with 3. So it was a good day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Anyone else having issues with web version today? Community is working fine but can't access profile/food diary/etc, only on phone. Getting an MFP error message.

Recipe's aren't updating changes again either :angry:
  • NovusDies
    Anyone else having issues with web version today? Community is working fine but can't access profile/food diary/etc, only on phone. Getting an MFP error message.

Working fine for me. I had trouble a couple of days ago.
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I didn't have such a hot day today. Well the weather was hot but I was having one of my hungry days which is always surprises me when it happens on Monday after I have eaten more food the day before.

I sailed past my goal by 340 calories. That was pretty irresponsible since I don't have a lot of maneuvering room to hit my surgery goal. In the grand scheme of things that is .10 pounds which would would only be a factor if I was so close I was counting on it to round me down instead of up.

If I have one of my lower hunger days I can probably take some of that back but otherwise I am probably going to let it go. My only other choice is to deduct it from Sunday but I am reluctant to do that because I count on that little extra eating to keep me from chewing nails.

I also struggled on Monday and ate over my calorie goal. I really like thinking of it as a hungry day because that’s exactly what it feels like. I used to just try and muscle through but I’d eventually break and go on a crazy binge. This time I logged it all and tried one new thing that seemed to work for me. I wanted to keep eating but knew I was probably good for the night so I set a 15 minute timer. I told myself if I still wanted to eat the bag of chocolate chips after the timer went off I would consider it. But sure enough, I didn’t and ate a popsicle instead.

Hopefully, we’ll both have regular hunger days today!
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    Well... I didn't go to the gym yesterday. I worked late, went home, made my smoothie & went to bed at a reasonable hour. I did stay with just the food I planned to eat, so that's a win. I had a hungry day Sunday. It was the first time I actually logged over my "limit" & saw the red. It was a good exercise in fighting my perfectionism. Logically, I know it's ok & it's normal & won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but actually allowing myself to log the excess (instead of hiding it on days that I was under)is really good for me. It's a battle, but at least I recognize it am truly trying to work on it! I'm finally starting to level back out after my vacation & it's nice to see!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

Working fine for me. I had trouble a couple of days ago.

It's back up now we're in to US awake time :smile:
  • NovusDies

I also struggled on Monday and ate over my calorie goal. I really like thinking of it as a hungry day because that’s exactly what it feels like. I used to just try and muscle through but I’d eventually break and go on a crazy binge. This time I logged it all and tried one new thing that seemed to work for me. I wanted to keep eating but knew I was probably good for the night so I set a 15 minute timer. I told myself if I still wanted to eat the bag of chocolate chips after the timer went off I would consider it. But sure enough, I didn’t and ate a popsicle instead.

Hopefully, we’ll both have regular hunger days today!

What we have learned is that YOU ARE CONTAGIOUS! Stop spreading your hungry days!!

I like your timer idea.

Today I cleaned up the kitchen earlier. I tend to eat then get back to work and clean up during breaks. Washing dishes sometimes = grabbing some bites though. Yesterday they got away from me. I am feeling much more in control today. I hope that lasts.
  • NovusDies
    jlucas210 wrote: »
    Well... I didn't go to the gym yesterday. I worked late, went home, made my smoothie & went to bed at a reasonable hour. I did stay with just the food I planned to eat, so that's a win. I had a hungry day Sunday. It was the first time I actually logged over my "limit" & saw the red. It was a good exercise in fighting my perfectionism. Logically, I know it's ok & it's normal & won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but actually allowing myself to log the excess (instead of hiding it on days that I was under)is really good for me. It's a battle, but at least I recognize it am truly trying to work on it! I'm finally starting to level back out after my vacation & it's nice to see!

Nice work!! That is some great progress on overcoming a roadblock. Hopefully you can keep building on it and fully embrace imperfection.

Out of context some of the stuff I write really seems backwards doesn't it?
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    @NovusDies Random thought, certainly not related to your last post, I want a laugh reaction choice on this site. 😉
  • NovusDies
    @dhiammarath

The reason you will get it done is because you are willing to experiment and set aside any pride you have for the techniques that got you this far. Those were great for the chainsaw but you are into scalpel territory.

I would be very interested in hearing what you are trying as you find your way forward. I don't know if any of it would work for me when I get there but the more ideas the better.

I am not in any hurry but I do think there may come a point when I get down to the last X pounds that I might not be too thrilled with spinning my wheels too often. Depending on how many calories I have to work with I may opt for a larger than recommended deficit and cycle in more diet breaks. I don't know. It is all speculation for me at this point.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @NovusDies Honestly, that’s what I’m playing with. That and meal timing. The problem is that with little buffer, I can’t have an unplanned snack without serious cost.

My husband and I have dinner together, that’s our thing. So that means dinner is special and where I want to spend the bulk of my calories. It also means I need to find a way to adjust to LIVING where lunch and dinner don’t have equal weight (I don’t eat breakfast, so there’s that!).

Right now, I eat lunch and come home hungry. Not REALLY hungry, but I’ve trained myself to have something to eat when I get home so I get snacks. And a “handful” of snacks here and there turns into 200 calories quickly. Which then leaves me with a dinner quandary.

So I am going to try to eat later, and smaller lunches, so I can get a bigger dinner but last long enough for us to go to dinner.

I have also thought about trying to stick to a more aggressive deficit for 3 weeks then have a goal-weight maintenance week to offset/recalibrate.

It is VERY hard to spin my wheels — or feel like it — in what feels like slippery mud. I trust the process but it’s very messy right now.

I will let you know what ends up working!