What condiments to take back to UK during visit to Canada?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
I live in London, UK and am visiting my mother in Canada. I like to cook and notice that some ingredients featuring in North American recipes are hard to find in the UK.

I like to spend my last afternoon of a vacation in the supermarket to bring stuff home. When I vacation in the Southern Europe the obvious thing to bring home is cheese, charuterie and dried mushrooms. In SE Asia I typically bring home dried seafood, Kampot or Phu Quoc pepper, high nitrogen content fish sauce.

So what should I bring home from Canada? Focussing on stuff that is hard to find in the UK. I am thinking Old Bay Spice Mix, espresso powder, liquid smoke. I might consider childhood nosalgia stuff like squeezable cheese spread, macaronni cheese in a box and jello.

Anything else you would recommend to take back to the UK? Happy to hear about great North American ingredients. I can filter for what is readily available in the UK.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I second the maple syrup, though I have no real bone in this fight as it were. My answer would be the same (and equally correct) if you asked what to bring back from Vermont.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for suggestions but I will pass on maple syrup because I have cabin baggage only so can't transport liquids. Got a few packs of strawberry/banana flavoured jello which was a childhood favourite and I can't find that in the UK. Some Old Bay and Mrs Dash seasoning.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Hope you had a great time! Old Bay and Mrs Dash huh? Check out Pinterest when you run out. They have recipes for making your own spice mixes.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    My parents brought me home some maple cookies from Canada and they were incredible. I know its not a condiment but... sometimes I still think about them. I need more!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was going to second what @just_Tomek said before you mentioned you were hand-luggage only. The things you mention, like Old Bay and Liquid Smoke, I've managed to get in the UK already.