Low cal protein bar recommendations please

Hi guys, for the days that I wake up early to workout or work I would like the option of a good protein bar. Atm I am eating bare bars and the bar counter but I’d like to find something with a higher protein count. Around 15gm or higher. Max 150cal. Thanks

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I’m happy to have more protein just not more cals. My current one is about 13gm at 130kcal and is delicious but expensive because I can’t find boxes so I have to buy singles

That's a pain, have you tried looking online? I often can't get my PHD bars in Ireland but can get them off Amazon UK or some online supplement stores.

Not sure what country you're in, MyProtein do have a Lean Protein bar which is 18g at 152 cals. They deliver worldwide.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I’ll have a look. Good idea. Thanks
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2019
    I get pure protein because it’s the cheapest, and their chocolate one is 180cal with 21g of protein. A little over your calorie budget, but I would say if you cut it in half it would be more protein for the calorie, at 10.5g/90cal. That’s the best I’ve personally seen, but I also don’t look at more expensive products.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    It isn't a bar, it is a shake, but Premier Protein's standard chocolate shake is good. 30g protein, 160 calories.

I can understand if you actually want to eat a bar instead though. Drinking my calories doesn't make me feel the same as eating them. Body doesn't care, mind does.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    I don’t generally like shakes as they sit heavy and when I am working out I want something light. I’m not a huge shake person in general
  • Hannahwalksfar
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I had to stop eating protein bars for a number of reasons so will offer something else.

A half cup (113 g) of Cabot no fat cottage cheese has 13 g protein for 70 calories.

Average cost for the container is $2 - that's 50 cents per serving.
    due to my remote living situation and lack of access to fresh ingredients especially cheeses (we only get to the shops every two to three weeks) it’s unlikely I can access it, plus I hate cheese lol.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Built Bars fit what your needs. You will have to order online, but you could get a sample box. So far I've enjoyed all the flavors. They are chewy (like marshmallow texture), but I actually enjoy that. My favorite flavors so far are mint brownie and coconut.
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    I've been using the Kirkland brand (costco) protein bars. they are 21 grams of protein and 190 calories and don't taste bad at all.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    gt0186b wrote: »
    I've been using the Kirkland brand (costco) protein bars. they are 21 grams of protein and 190 calories and don't taste bad at all.

These are my favorite and they are so good! Cheap too, less than $1.00 each.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited August 2019
    gt0186b wrote: »

Kirkland bars are so similar in specs and cost that I think that they are just knockoffs of the Pure Protein bars and I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually made by Pure Protein.

Both are stocked and sold side by side at Costco. I prefer Pure Protein because they offer 3 flavors instead of 2 as sold there and I also prefer the 3 flavors over the 2 offered by Kirkkand.

If you look for Pure Protein elsewhere you'll find that they offer many more flavors than just 3 for about the same $1/bar when on sale. With Kirkland, 2 flavors is all you'll get.

That said, in either case, they give you the most protein w/the fewest cals at the lowest cost of any protein bars that I've ever seen.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    I’ll see if we have a CostCo in the nearest town. Thanks!
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    BUMP!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    My mom bought this granola, which has 10 g of protein for 120 calories, and is too good tasting for me to safely keep on hand: https://www.kindsnacks.com/healthy-grains-clusters/peanut-butter-whole-grain-clusters-M17224.html
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I would suggest that you make your own protein (and other) bars so you know exactly what goes into them and that they fit in with your healthy life style. You will also appreciate and enjoy them much more, since you have made them yourself and there are no plastic wrappers either.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I would suggest that you make your own protein (and other) bars so you know exactly what goes into them and that they fit in with your healthy life style. You will also appreciate and enjoy them much more, since you have made them yourself and there are no plastic wrappers either.

Personally, I appreciate NOT having to work for it so built bars ftw! :)
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Personally, I appreciate NOT having to work for it so built bars ftw! :)

I just ordered the sample box of Built Bars. Which one is your favorite?